Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

XGA vs WXGA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by owain_thomas, Aug 20, 2005.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    been digging about a bit before buying anew plasma and I could do witha abit of advice. the new 43" pioneer thats coming out soon is only XGA, is this actually going to make much difference to the PQ for hidef?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not hugely no. If you are planning on using that PC of yours, I'd very strongly recommend another screen. The XDE has a VGA input on the front of the media box, but the digital input is intended for video signals, bit of a nightmare with PCs.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    thanks for the input MAW, is the PC input via VGA inferior to other plasmas as well or could that be used as a compromise?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's perfectly usable, except if it's a permanent connection the wire sticking out the front might be considered an eyesore by any female members of the household. I know, I know, the screen styling is the best, but it's a consumer telly not a pro panel for folks wot know wot they are doing. No. 1 screen for PC users is the Pioneer MXE1 series, and it's cheaper too. It's not gloss black though!

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    ah right, now its begining to make a bit more sense (i've done abit of searching on here about the mxe1). so it seems i've got the choice of:

1. sky HD into HDMI but PC into VGA (an XDE), or

2. some convoluted arrangement of scaler/hdcp stripper to get sky HD but PC at native res over DVI (an MXE1)

is that a fair assessment? how would you rate the PQ of the XDE fed with a VGA signal from a PC? can it do native res at 50 and 60Hz?

thanks for your help with this, its very useful having access to people who know what they are talking about and are willing to share the information! :)

owain

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Now another alternative to consider, the Panasonic 42PHD8. Not out yet, but can have HDMI and VGA. The XDE will not do native at 50Hz AFAIK, 60Hz only. The MXE can, and the PHD8 can. The PHD8 can't do native at 50Hz digitally though, or we don't think so anyway, whereas the MXE can, and can process this at 100Hz with a setting you may have come across, FRC mode 2. Smooth as a baby's bottom it is. Theoretically its a shoot out between the MXE1 and the PHD for HCPC use. Both have pros and cons, best to demo them with a PC to be sure of which one is right for you, which one's faults irritate you least!

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    thanks, top advice. I'll do a bit more digging and see if I can get a demo. :)