1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XGA or 16/9?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Saxon, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Saxon

Saxon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking for LCD/DLP projector. I don't want to spend more than £2000 for a new one and I am prepared to buy a good secondhand one for under a grand. I'm confused though. I'd like a projector to use primarily with home cinema/DVD etc but would also like to replay my old non-widescreen VHS on it and may even get rid of the TV altogether and use it for watching non-widescreen cable TV (we don't watch that much TV so lamp life isn't much of an issue). I also use flight simulator and might occasionally use the projector on my PC for that.

I am confused as to why some projectors are specified as home cinema and yet cost more than a machine with the a similar spec which is tailored to the business market - is this a con? I am tempted to go for an XGA 1024/728 model like the NEC VT540 (£1800 Projectorpoint.co.uk) because it seems that would give me maximum quality for flight-sim, deliver 4x3 movies without cutting off any of the image and also have great resolution for watching DVD because it has 16/9mode as well. I have also looked at the Panasonic PTAE100E because it is cheap and has been well reviewed but I guess wouldn't be usable with my PC and would cut off quite a bit of the 4x3 image too - is this correct?

I used to borrow an ancient SVGA projector from work (might even have been VGA) and to be honest loved it - the more I research this, the more confusing it becomes! Can someone help me identify what I need? The one thing I know I need is Keystone correction!

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If most of your viewing is 4:3 go for this ratio of panel, if it will be widescreen, go for the widescreen. I Run an svga macine into a widescreen 800x450 resolution, so effecively im using it as a widescreen panal projector. I run it via a pc and use a widescreen sized desktop, nothing cut off. If you run a 4:3 film in a widescreen projector like the panny, then a 4:3 film will simply be sized inside the panel, so you get bars at the side.

My view is that i wont decide on a machine dependent if it is native widescreen..... as long as it has a widescreen mode, it will be fine. So my only criteria will be perfrormance!

ad