For Sale XFX 7970 DD BE

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by cylonwarrior, Jan 28, 2014.

1. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I recently purchased this card here on these forums but have changed my mind as it does not mine as well as I would have liked. The gaming performance is fine but I would not advise this card to miners.

FX-797A-TDBC
    4/11/2013 purchase date from scan. Comes with receipt.

It will be sent with royal mail special delivery.

You can read through this thread to find more information about the card: For Sale - 2 x XFX 7970 DD BE | AVForums

Price and currency: £160
    Delivery: Delivery cost is Included
    Payment method: BT or PPG

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hi. Genuinely interested but what is this card like on power usage, noise and heat? Heard a few mixed reviews that it is a bit of a noisy beast and a power guzzler!

3. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I don't know about power As I have no way of measuring that. As for heat and noise they are not the quietest 7970 you will find. When mining they were keeping under 80c at 75% fan speed. However I tested it with battlefield 4 and it was okay. With a decent custom fan setting 50% fan speed would suffice.

The main reason for these cards running quite hot is the locked voltage at 1.175v.
    If it had a dual bios switch I would have kept it, and flashed to a modded unlocked voltage. You obviously can still do this but I personally don't want to flash without a backup.

4. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I am going to reduce this to £160 in the hope for a quick sale.

5. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
  6. PatrickB

PatrickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Do you know how well this card clocks?

7. PatrickB

PatrickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  8. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    It is that card but the one I have is revision 5.0 FX-797A-TDBC

The one on scan is FX-797A-TDFC

I tested it a bit on saturday, am pretty sure stock clocks were a lot higher than 925mhz.

9. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hi - thanks for the info. Have been reading up on this card and it seems that the reviews are pretty bad and there seem to be a fairly high failure rate due to overheating, etc. Do you know what the warranty situation is with it (ie. does it come with receipt, how long is left on the warranty and who deals with an RMA should it go faulty)? Thanks.

11. Sable

Sable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    These do get hot. They are designed for having extra overclocking headroom on top of the 1GHz stock clocks. They cherry pick "high leakage" parts for the Black Edition because these parts can handle more power and therefore remain stable at higher clocks. The truth is these cards were really designed with watercooling and overclocking in mind. They should clock to ~1200MHz but saying that the heat output at those clocks are ridiculous and no air system would be able to adequately cool them at these high clocks.

OTOH these seem to have the same PCB's as the 280x and seem quite stable right up to where they throttle thermally @ 95C.

I have one of the 3 sold by skitz and mine hit the thermal limit while mining LTC. Putting these cards under 100% load in a case with another powerful GPU (R9 290). When it was alone in a well vented case it wouldn't go over 78-80C @ stock.

I have a receipt with the one skitz sold me and it has 3 months warranty left of 2 years from SCAN afaik. Obviously I can't talk for the OP's one but I imagine it is similar.

12. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thankyou very much for the info sable. It has a receipt from scan last April so I can assume it has over a year left. As for dealing with a potential RMA I would get in touch with scan and then if they advised you need the original owner you would have to talk to skitz. 2bh I am not certain if he is the original owner.

Cheers.

13. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks again for the info guys. I'm a bit wary of the card and the warranty situation but would be willing to take a punt at £140 if you'd be able to post tomorrow via RMSD.

14. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I can post tomorrow £160 RMSD. That is already losing me almost £30 on this purchase. I decided to take the wiggle room out with the £160 price tag. 280x new is average £240 so I think the price is fair even with this particular branded card.

If there is anything else I can do to make you happier with the price then let me know. I will of course offer a 2 week refund safety net if something went wrong but this is pretty standard here anyway.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  15. Andi C

Andi C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    If this is one of the card that my friend sold to the original buyer I'm sure he will be happy to help ! If Cylonwarrior you want to PM me the name on the Scan invoice I'll be happy to let you know if it is him & pass the info on to said friend ?

16. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Looking at the receipt it was purchased new by skits unless by some odd chance Lee sold it to another person named Lee lol.

17. Andi C

Andi C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    No, its no that card then... Cool ! Just thought I'd help your sale if it was... GLWS

18. Skitz_1184

Skitz_1184

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The one sable has is the one i bought from your friend. the one cylon has i bought brand new and the one spoonuk has i bought brand new. These cards are extremely good when it comes to gaming and when used for what they were meant for (gaming) the temps are beyond acceptable (75 - 80 degrees) and reasonably quiet.

There is nothing wrong with any of these card at all, all of them were used for gaming, are less than 2 years old, are boxed, are in excellent condition and come with original receipts.

I cannot believe no one plays games any more!!!

19. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Ah right. As I know I'll be scuppered for any mining, etc the best I could really do would be to meet you at £150 but understand if you want to try and hold out for more.

20. Prophet2k

Prophet2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, If this card is still available ill offer the 160 delivered asking price and take it soon as poss.

Cheers.

21. Sable

Sable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, just an FYI.

I have found a fix for the issue of mining. Firstly, yes the card runs pretty hot, that has stayed the same. I have just moved it to it's own case and it sits mining happily @600Khs @83degC...

Before I was too scared to flash the BIOS, but I changed my mind as I saw the "glut" in the market was making it hard to sell. Let me tell you this. It is actually quite easy. I of course have another gpu to boot if it went wrong, but it went fine.

Now, I can't get the 750Khs that some 7970's can get, but 600Khs is the same as a 7950. I should also mention it gets this at a very strange ultra low clock and mem (854core 799mem). So in terms of power efficiency it is actually pretty damn good.

So, if anyone is concerned about the lack of ability to mine with this card. With some work it can be pretty good.

22. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    After taking on board sable's information he kindly passed in this thread I have decided I'm now going to keep this card.

Thanks to everyone for the input and I apologise for wasting anybody's time.