Xfire Help?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Its always preferable to use one powerful single card over xfire less powerful cards.

wolvers

Novice Member
Xfire 5870 would be quite a lot faster, 6970 is only marginally faster than one 5870.

You'll be missing out on 1gb VRAM though, which seems to be becoming more useful these days. What sort of resolution are you playing at?

TheNameIsJambo

Remember, when you buy another graphics card, you don't instantly get 2/3x performance. You get 50%-75% (at most). So if you went Tri-Fire, you'd need a whoppingly good PSU, you wouldn't get stellar performance and you'd be stuck with 3GB of RAM.

If you're playing with EyeFinity or you have a ridiculously big monitor at an insane resolution (Higher than 1080P), you'll definitely need >1GB of RAM - That is on the 58xx series.

I'd go with a HD6950 and flash it, if you want to save some pennies. I did that, mine works great and is pushed harder than you could normally push a HD6950! Then, when the new models are released next year, buy yourself a discounted XFire card :) [Which is my plan. A second HD6950/70 wouldn't go a miss in my rig!]

Although, if you're dead set on a HD6970 go for it. I wouldn't get an old-cycle of hardware, considering the 79xx series is on our doorstep!

Last edited:

105tommy105

Standard Member
wolvers said:
Xfire 5870 would be quite a lot faster, 6970 is only marginally faster than one 5870.

You'll be missing out on 1gb VRAM though, which seems to be becoming more useful these days. What sort of resolution are you playing at?
1920x1080 22inch, I wanna be able to max pretty much anygame.

wolvers

Novice Member
For now, 1gb is enough it would seem for 1080p although that's just in my opinion. How long before it becomes a problem is hard to say, that's down to the games developers. I could do with a bit more VRAM for BF3 but that's about it right now.

Having said that, I would wait a few weeks for the pricing and reviews for the 7950. If it's 3gb and not too much more than the cost of that 6970 you have linked, then it'll be a better choice for you in the long run.

105tommy105

Standard Member
wolvers said:
For now, 1gb is enough it would seem for 1080p although that's just in my opinion. How long before it becomes a problem is hard to say, that's down to the games developers. I could do with a bit more VRAM for BF3 but that's about it right now.

Having said that, I would wait a few weeks for the pricing and reviews for the 7950. If it's 3gb and not too much more than the cost of that 6970 you have linked, then it'll be a better choice for you in the long run.
I already have one Hd5870 so would waiting for the 7 series be my best bet?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom