Xenons

Gadget Daddy

Novice Member
Just been doing some research on Xenons, never had any before but looking to buy some.

Anyhow

Autoexpress latest product test on Xenons says halfords are the best overall priced at £30 a pair, it just so happens that halfords are doing a bogof on these at the mo, so only about £15 for a pair :thumbsup:

Pete

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Be careful regarding regulations (from EU). This might make them illegal in some circumstances.
Hopefully someone who knows about these will post to clarify this.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Joe90sDad

Banned
Yep, xenons must have a self levelling system to be legal, AFAIK

I find the standard fit xenons more blinding to other road users than standard headlamps left on main beam.

neilmcl

Yep, xenons must have a self levelling system to be legal, AFAIK

I find the standard fit xenons more blinding to other road users than standard headlamps left on main beam.
True, but I must admit that ever since getting Xenons as an option on an A3 a few years ago I never want to go back using standard headlights. The improvement during night driving has been huge so I'll put up with the occasional flashing light. AFAIK they do have to be self-levelling and accompanied by a washer system but I'm not sure if this just effects factory fit models or third-party installs as well.

EDIT: Actually these bulbs are not the same as the standard factory-fit xenon gas-discharge headlight systems so the legislation may not apply and I doubt that they'd be as good either.

i believe pete as talking about xenon gas filled standard bulbs rather than a HID system which requires FACTORY FIT systems to have auto levelling and washers

Gadget Daddy

Novice Member
i believe pete as talking about xenon gas filled standard bulbs rather than a HID system which requires FACTORY FIT systems to have auto levelling and washers

lol im glad you know what im talking about, its just a couple of xenon filled bulbs i think

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I think he must be. Proper aftermarket Xenon kits are upwards of £200 so it must be just about the bulbs.

Once you have tried Xenon you won't go back.

DVD-Man

Sounds like Xenon look bulbs to me, a cool marketing ploy by the bulb manufacturers.

As for real Xenons they are very cool, my brothers Audi dips automatically when you stop at the roadside.

The washers are there to remove dirt which can affect the beam pattern as Xenons don't have the same hatching on the glass as standard headlights.

Liam

I think he must be. Proper aftermarket Xenon kits are upwards of £200 so it must be just about the bulbs.

Once you have tried Xenon you won't go back.

agreed!

im allowing a few guys on another forum time with some they got from fleabay for around £70, to have longer term use, a few guys had em for about 6 months now no probs, and as it says on tin!
a huge difference too, in all conditions, look into these if you want a good performance upgrade, go for the lower k ones as theyre brighter more white, the higher k ones are still good but more of the blue effect some people like/try to copy

Andy Leitch

There's no auto-levelling or washers or my factory fit HID system. Although I do drive a Jap import but then again, if it was a requirement, my car (and others like it), would have failed the strict ESVA. :confused:

There's no auto-levelling or washers or my factory fit HID system. Although I do drive a Jap import but then again, if it was a requirement, my car (and others like it), would have failed the strict ESVA. :confused:

They are required, thats why every uk/euro car has the washers on these cars, and why only the newer focus with hids has washer low level warning as it uses the washer etc when turning the lights on etc.

no worries, if u aint got auto levelling it was an aftermarket hid kit ;)

Andy Leitch

no worries, if u aint got auto levelling it was an aftermarket hid kit ;)
I've just checked with the owners club and it is a factory fit.
EDIT: Here's the japanese sales brochure showing the HIDS, without the ugly washer jets and auto-levelling. :D \0/

Attachments

• DC5 Integra catalogue 17a.JPG
    DC5 Integra catalogue 17a.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 68

bluevortex

I've just bought and Focus ST3. I couldn't belive my eyes when i turned the xenons on. Why have i never had these before. They are amazing. The difference is huge. They are auto levelling and come with washer jets that pop out from colour coded body work and spray every 2-3 times you clean the windscreen. I would proabaly never have noticed about the jets unless they had been pointed out to me. I assumed in the past you would get one of those ugly wiper blades on your head lights, you know the ones.

Blue

Mylo

Novice Member
Xenon Plus bulbs from manufacturers like RING do work. They have about 30% more light but don't seem to last as long.

I always upgrade my bulbs when I get a new car as over 50% of my driving is on unlit country roads.

Without the bulbs it could maybe include about 20% off road :eek: :rotfl:

I wish people who stop referring to HID's as Xenon headlights.....It just causes so much confusion....A Xenon headlight don't have to be HID's and HID is what you want :)

neilmcl

I wish people who stop referring to HID's as Xenon headlights.....It just causes so much confusion....A Xenon headlight don't have to be HID's and HID is what you want :)
Unfortunately the car manufacturers themselves refer to HIDs as Xenon or bi-Xenon headlight systems so you can't really blame anyone else for following suit. If you want to get rid of the confusion then lets differentiate between these Xenon bulbs and complete Xenon Headlight systems.

IronGiant

I'm getting the impression that true High-Intensity Discharge lighting systems are about as similar to standard lighting as my gramophone is to Blu-ray, so presumably I can't just swap bulbs? But I see all these replacement Xenon bulbs being sold?

Dave

I'm getting the impression that true High-Intensity Discharge lighting systems are about as similar to standard lighting as my gramophone is to Blu-ray, so presumably I can't just swap bulbs? But I see all these replacement Xenon bulbs being sold?

Dave

That was exactly my point, a replacement Xenon bulbs is nothing more than a lightbulb filled with some gas...As you say as far remote from a HID system (which can also have Xenon gas in it), as a Blue-ray system is to your gramophone.....Also worth noting that those blue-tinted bulbs mostly are a styling gimmick, they have generally less light output than a normal quality bulb....Lots of style but very little substance.....

Note that you can buy aftermarket HID-kits plentiful on ebay for around £70, but I have got no idea how good they are, and also to my surprise they don't have to have auto-levelling etc so they can be pretty annoying....But then again from a selfish drivers perspective I find the auto-levelling quite annoying as the 'beam' doesn't project as far as it could....

neilmcl

Note that you can buy aftermarket HID-kits plentiful on ebay for around £70, but I have got no idea how good they are, and also to my surprise they don't have to have auto-levelling etc so they can be pretty annoying....But then again from a selfish drivers perspective I find the auto-levelling quite annoying as the 'beam' doesn't project as far as it could....
The thing is these aftermarket kits still use these so-called xenon bulbs (H1, H4, H7 etc) that work in the same way as a standard bulb using a single filament whereas the "proper" HID system use a lamp that creates an arc of light within a xenon filled tube creating the gas discharge.

I think the reason why these bulbs and aftermarket kits don't require self-levelling is because they work in the same way as standard bulbs which are somewhat directional anyway whereas the gas discharge systems produce a wide arc of light which requires levelling.

Surely the ebay kits and other aftermarket are High Intensity Discharge as well and not merely a bulb...I mean why would they need the extra electronics and re-wiring...Or do you think that is all fake? I can understand why you have to specify which filament you have as it will help fit the 'bulb'-holder in...My understanding was that these aftermarket kit only work effectively with project headlights anyway....Any others with a lens are pointless to upgrade...

But I could be wrong.....

neilmcl

If the kits use the proper gas discharge lamps such as D2S and D2R then they're fine but can be expensive but if they just use these single filament xenon bulbs such as your H1, H4 etc then they're not the same thing.

Wow that is very cheap! Mind you, the Osram ones I had in my BMW did last much longer than 2 months in both sides....And had less light output, albeit a nicer colour, than standard bulbs....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett