Xenons purchased ......

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jkharmer, May 5, 2007.

1. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi everyone (especially Helicon!)

Been looking into these for what seems like ages! A building up my HC room equipment and have purchased the first cog in the wheel - 3 x Xenon 26, 2 x Xenon 26 surrounds in Gloss Black to fill a 12ft x 10ft room.

Been looking predominantly on eBay UK and US. Figured that there may be some old stock knocking around, also US people may be wary of purchasing due to the Warranty issue. Well ..... bought myself the above package for $750 + $120 p&p. Add in import duty and VAT, by my calculations, should easily have change out of £600. Bargain or what??????

Will be looking for a uitable sub now, but am favouring a downward firing as the missus wants it to look like a piece of furniture, any suggestions?

James

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Select one with good mid/upper bass distortion performance. M&K obviously make subs designed for the job, but they're not the only ones out there.

Bear in mind that big subs can be used as tables, whilst small ones tend to be hidden under them.

What's your budget?

Russell

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If looking for a downward fireing sub then probably the BK Monolith will suite you're needs, but it is not to say it will be the best sounding with the Xenons...M&K make some geat subs too but not in DF config, another solution would be the SVS subs but they are alot bigger and therfore may not be as WAF friendly as you may like.

4. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for replys. Main issue is positioning really. Am I correct in thinking the sub should be placed at some point in front of the listening position? If this is the case, the only place it can go is front right (sort of half in and half out of an alcove next to the chimney breast. Therefore, size will not be an issue, but looking like a piece of furniture will! I was hoping to get away with around £500 max, whether this is new, or second hand I don't mind. Would a PV1 be any good. I am really hoping for fast agile bass, and am worried that the larger subs may be good for low end grunt, but may be a little ponderous in their delivery - or is it just wrong me thinking that the bigger you go, the slower the sub will be???

James

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi jk :)

The bigger and better the sub you get, the better the Xenon's sound. So don't go too small!

The newer M&K subs (around 15 months ago) were upgraded using Superfast drivers, and were tighter than previous versions. They say Superfast on the drivers, so you can't miss them. They're definitely not ponderous, believe me!

6. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    There is no reason why a big sub should sound ponderous. Big subs tend to be better able to drive the rooms natural resonances which can give this effect, but seldom is it actually the subs fault. As such, big subs rely on proper placement which is not always terribly convenient. The best spot in my room is right in front of the door for instance. As you're restricted in terms of positioning, unless you're dead lucky, you may have to invest in some sort of EQ device. This would benefit all subs, but big ones enjoy the benefits to a greater degree.

Smaller subs tend to be more positioning tollerant and possibly even benefit from being close to a wall to reinforce their low frequency output. The problem is it's impossible to predict a subs interaction with the room (as no two are alike) and other factors, such as where you sit, also have a large part in defining the quality you will experience.

If you're prepared to consider a PV-1 which isn't a DF and certainly doesn't look like furniture, I'd really suggest you have a look at the SVS SB-12/plus in the powerbuys. It'll knock the socks off the PV-1 and with it's onboard controls for room integration, it is a very flexible sub indeed. Beautifully made too.

Russell

7. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    I've recently bought the Xenon 36's & Surround 26's and partnered them with an SVS PB12+/2 and I think they all sound really good together.

I've not even used an spl meter or bfd or anything (I know I should) and am really pleased. Watched a few films on quite high volumes and don't have any complaints.

I probably would have been happy with the PB12+ but got the +/2 as it wasn't that much more.

8. Greenfence

Greenfence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Just bought a M&K KX-12 from a UK dealer for £412...brand new factory sealed with a years warranty - did have the option of the KX-10 at £342 from the same place...it does have the new superfast driver too:)

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can certainly get some good deals on the M&K subs now, and are definitly worth considering especially if running with M&K speakers.