1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xelos,worth it?hdtv ready?.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by andre 3000, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. andre 3000

andre 3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loewe xelos,is it worth the extra over the usual suspects. i currently have a good tv pana pd30c but it flickers like mad in pal prog. i think it's time for a flat tv thingy. :hiya:

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Assuming you mean the Xelos SL rather than the older plain Xelos.

Excellent picture (probably second only to the Loewe Spheros), excellent build quality, cr@p customer service, cr@p documentation cr@p and confusing web site. Wouldn't bother with the DR+ unless you have the expensive internal D-TV/D-Sat option but too many niggling faults with these two items - I may have a faulty unit/setup but its difficult to tell with the state of the documentation and poor customer service. Linnsight don't respond to emails and its difficult to get past the telephone receptionist without you, your father, your fathers father and his father having tried the retailer first. My retailler plays piggy in the middle and it was bought from Linn themselves at Harrods.

Probably more HD ready than the usual suspects. It pretty much handles any resolution you can throw at it and 720p, 1080i via DVI-D are handled without effort. No problems with black borders etc. Can't comment on quality of component except that you need to make sure that you have configured the input correctly (SD, Progressive, HD) as sticking with auto mode give an inferior picture to interlaced or progressive in progressive mode. Have also tried VGA (its unfortunately via the DVI-I port and not the spare VGA socket on the rear) and was impressed with the quality of the output.

Good value for money 2 months ago when they were giving away a free DVD recorder. A few places can be found that do discounted, (one ex demo on ebay at £2200), but the discounted retailers I have seen charge over the odds for the numerous options so it evens itself up again in the end.

However, if I was to buy again, the only other screens that I would consider are the Loewe Spheros or Xelos SL without the DR+ and D-TV/D-SAT option.

-Ian

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Further to this response, I can now remove 'Cr@p customer service' from my list of gripes. If you wish to contact them, make sure you email 'helpline @t linnsight.co.uk' - replace the ' @t ' with @. You should receive an automated response within 30 minutes or so. If you do not, then it is likely that they have not received your email rather than just ignoring you. I guess they have antispam filtering in place.

They also appear to be better organised now. 0800 0276465 now takes you through to Linnsight customer service rather than what appeared to be a receptionist with no product knowledge.

-Ian