Xelos vs Pixel Plus

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by fcuk, Dec 18, 2002.

1. fcuk

fcuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP!!!! I am trying to decide between buying a Philips 32PW9617 or the Loewe Xelos 5381ZW?? If price isn't an issue, what would you choose? [now I am fairly new to all this techo-wizz-bang stuff, so all my little brain can handle is that the Philips has pixel plus technology and lots more lines and pixels, and has a real flat screen]. From what I can gather, most people seem to LOOOOVE the Loewe, and say that the Philips picture is 'overprocessed' and unnatural. I saw a few movies on the Philips and the picture for most part was crisp and clean with stunning color: but parts showed shimmering and jittery bits and looked like crap. Oh yeah.... what is DNM? And DMM? And DMI????

Has anybody compared these two models? Would love to hear your opinions... esp. seeing as I will be departing with my hard earned cash... and lots of it! And I wanna buy it before Santa comes.......
    ;) ;) ;) ;) :mad: ;) ;) ;) ;)

2. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold fire on both and check out the new JVC D.I.S.T when available in the shops in January. see jvc.co.uk

I had a Philips PW9527 Pixel Plus and had it returned for a refund the same day it was installed. Picture was too unnatural and overly processed, some would ande have described it as total crap. This I found on DVD and analogue TV. No point in paying £1200 for a new TV if you are disappointed the moment its switched on, you certainly won't grow to love it over time. First impressions last and all that. Caveat emptor.

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    leeoh

I think you are right about first impressions, what have you got now or are you waiting for the jvc to get here? to be honest I think all these types of sets with processing will have some problems you just got to live with them.

fcuk(put the c in front)

DNM stands for digital natural motion and its a feature of philips, basically on fast moving objects it gives more stability for viewing them, you see them more clearly.Dont know what DMI is. I have seen the 32pw9617 and on first site I love this set on dvd playback. thought the picture was really sharp. As im thinking of buying one if the prices go down a bit I checked out other owners and thoughts from other forums and most are quite happy. Havent seen the Loewe yet but I think its out of my price range. Also interested in the sony fq80 but I think it is a lot more than the philips. The philips as you know has the rear speakers and the sound is quite descent.

If your picky and money isnt a problem go for the plasma, eventually all the picky ones on this forum go for this type after changing 3 or 4 tvs.

personally I like the philips

4. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, well I went for the Toshiba 32ZD26P Strata afterwards which thankfully had to me a much more watchable picture. Very nice pictures in fact on RGB DVD and FreeView but very soft, almost blurry you might say on analogue.

However its now gone back also for refund as its scan coils buzzing and input transformer buzzing can be heard loud and clear from 10 metres away. Also made creaking noises soon after switch on and carries on at random from time to time until switched off.

Back now to using my 7 seven year Panasonic 29" 4:3. Its scary what you, I'm also serouisly considering bitting the bullet and going for Plasma. No Convergence errors, no geometry problems, no dirty screen, no crappy or otherwise 100Hz processing problems, etc, etc.

I guess you really do get what you pay for. If the JVC D.I.S.T doesn't make my jar drop when I see it, the Plasma is the way forward for me - when I can afford a good one.

Shame B&O sets are so expensive for a CRT but for what its worth best CRT picture I've seen to date out of any TV 100Hz or otherwise and the build quality is supreb which well for everyone getting a good one rather than pot luck with all the mainstream CRT brands.

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    leeoh

I think your right about the bang and o tvs, I ve read reviews and apparently the Beo model is excellent and not that expensive compared to previous models of b & O, but too much for mear mortals like me! I heard they use some technology like the pixel plus but without the artifacts that go with the philips.

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...com/testbench/Televisions/BO/BOBeovision3.php

the above is a good review that might interest you

Im more worried about the build quality of the phillips than the artifacts. also I read somewhere on another forum that philips use certain components on their 36 pixel plus machines as well as the 32 machines, thus causing more artifacts. Im no expert but this could be a load of b** S

bye

evan (if I could afford the plasma I would get it the picture is better and with no problems.

6. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having my car checked over at a cal garage and they had a B&O tv in the reception area. I was instantly transported back to the 70's - I just can't make myself like the styling. However, the picture on the tv was very good but it was "only" a 28" set. I'd like to see it in 36" guise but I don't think they do one. Maybe they couldn't make it good enough so they decided not to release a crap version.

7. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Evans,

Agreed. Too pricey for me too, approx. £2800 with the matching cabinet stand. Saw the Beovision 3000 on demo in Harods and was seriously impressed on both analogue and DVD. Same roof mounted main aerial feed as all the other main stream TV's but far superior picture. The B&O plasma was even more impressive, playing Phantom Menace on DVD my jaw dropped, but at £12k if I remember right :eek:

The 32" chassis are Philips based but with B&O reworked hardware and software. Also tube made by Philips but to a B&O spec. Could be pixel plus processing but a far superior implementation than the Philips.

As a side note. I've seen the Loewe Articos 32" and sadly I noticed immediately the same pixel plus type effects I had on the PW9527 on DVD. At £2500 not impressed.

B&O probably don't make a 36" TV as thats right on the border of CRT technology.

8. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    leeoh

My brother lives in australia but he told me he saw a plasma there which was quite a lot and he said it was like watching a movie at the cinema. He told me it was a Hitachi model. He saw a lot of crt sets including pixel plus but wasnt that impressed.