1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xelos versus Spheros

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gilesm, Nov 22, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm still on my quest to find out whether or not the Spheros 37 is right for me. What's the difference - besides the prices and the glass front between the Xelos and Spheros, the specs all seem to be the same - well after a quick scan? Is the spheros just new technology? The guy in the shop says there's not much in it, now wondering how I can justify the extra for the Spheros.

Does anyone out there own a Spheros 32 or 37, what is it like to live with on a day to day basis?

Cheers

2. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a very good point.

Tbh if the Xelos wasn't "two tone" and had the same all black face as the Spheros, there really wouldn't be anything between them visually.

I am uncertain as to any technical differences and their extent.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There seems to be some contradictory data around, possibly due to differences between UK and european Markets.

I had a quick glimpse of a Spheros media box in a UK magazine review. The back was different to the Xelos one. There was an extra SCART (3) socket that was both RGB and component compatible. The Xelos only has 2 SCART sockets, one of which is RGB (not component). The Xelos does have a seperate component input which is also RGsB compatible. I do now know whether the Spheros has this. However, the instructions for the Xelos media box also covers the Spheros and there are no differences in the diagrams. So I am confused on that.

The Spheros obviously has the glass panel to improve contrast.

There may also be a difference between the two display panels. The Spheros lists the panel as ASV-Black (its a Sharp panel) but the Xelos only lists it as an ASV panel. I don't know whether Sharp's advance-super-view panels are available in black and non-black versions.

The unbilical cord between the media receiver and Xelos is DVI-D and someother thick cable. There appears to be only one cable between the media box and the Spheros. Both have seperate mains cables. This also implies a difference in media boxes, although there may be differences between the 32" and 37" Spheros.

The Spheros comes with the IR link sensor hardware. This is extra on the Xelos although I believe it is functional in the media box.

I think there Spheros has a few of the options of the Xelos already as standard. DIS and VGA upgrade options are listed on the Spheros. On the Xelos the VGA is via the DVI-I input.

The Xelos comes with the RC3 remote, the Spheros with the RC2 remote - LCD display.

Audio output on the Xelos is 2x20w, the Spheros it is 2x40w.

The Spheros comes with DR+ (hard disc recorder). I believe that it is possible to get it removed, but this is a 'option'. DR+ is an option on the Xelos.

The Xelos comes in Platinum. The Spheros is available in Platinum or the much more expensive Basalt High Gloss black which most stores seem to be showing.

The Spheros is part of the system range. It this integrates better with other Loewe system products. Such as support for electrical tilt/swivel, different stand options etc.

Some of the options may be different between the 32" and 37" Spheros'

-Ian