1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xelos A37 arrived

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by masher, May 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my A37 set up with basic settings. Initial impressions - very good :thumbsup: But will be running a calibration disc through it in the next couple of days. Will then post the results and how things look throught the various inputs. ;)

Cheers Mash

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Photos :D

3. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Congratulations. I am also interested in the A 37, especially since Loewe Benelux knocks €300/£200 off the price (this month only). But I have some questions: What about the black level of the A37? Even in brightly lit shops, it seemed to me that the 37" had more trouble displaying blacks than the 32". And how about the remote? Is it any good? (Loewe used to have some very nice aluminium remotes that came with the Xelos CRTs, but it seems they've gone all plastic now.)

4. odiwan

odiwan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations

separate box for connections or all in one?

5. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I haven't replied earlier - have been working silly hours. I was going to reply to all the questions but have just been phoned by work again so have to log off... :( :( Will reply soon.... :thumbsup:

6. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK a little time to add some comments.

Black levels good.
    Overall PQ - excellent. Extremely good depth of field, and very fine detail level.

Just had a quick look at the opening scene of Gladiator - superb :)
    Watched footy last weekend - pretty good, no motion smearing, grass was pretty good, you wouldn't notice any problems unless you were looking for them :)

A couple of quirks - don't seem to be able to save different settings for different inputs :confused:
    EPG doesn't seem to work for analogue :confused:
    Faint buzz if contrast set too low :confused:
    Not as many settings as I would have expected (no DNR, has setting for DMM only, no DMI) says it has virtual Dolby - I can't find this setting :confused:

Contrast is difficult to set up (I believe Ianh64 has a similar problem with his SL32).

Overall though I am very pleased. The PQ is good even on low quality signals. But on half decent SKY+ (channel 5 CSI - loads of detail, depth of view) the quality is excellent. Even the better half has noticed how much better the PQ is from our old CRT (An Aconda which was no slouch itself (probably still wins on black levels though)).

If anyone need any other queries answered I will see what I can do.

Cheers Mash.

PS - if you go to the Loewe website, the pictures for the A32 are actually the A37 - I guess the pics of the A37 are the A32... :rolleyes:

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,372
    Mash - if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it & where from?

cheers

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Mash

The UI on the A series looks quite different to the SL, but it may just be how it is presented - more animation. So assuming that there are similarities to the SL that are more than skin deep, I will say the following.

Some inputs have more options available than others. Rgb, S-video, composite etc would probably have the full complement of options, VGA, HDMI, non SD component have many options removed. I believe that this is because a whole set of processing is totally bypassed. So you may find that DNR, DMI etc appear with a different set of inputs.

EPG probably won't work on analogue since it used nextview (I believe that this is what it is called) which is not broadcast in the UK. On the SL, the EPG also does not work if you are watching an external source.

Different inputs can have different options saved, but I have not got to the bottom of this. My thinking is that all inputs of a certain type are saved as one, so all RGB inputs will have their own setting etc. D-TV/D-Sat and analogue tuners I believe arrive as RGB so are treated the same as the SCART RGB inputs. DVI input, or in your case HDMI input, and possibly different component inputs appear to be saved on a per input resolution/timing basis. This settings for 720p are different to 1080i. On component, I can only give it SD interlaced or progressive but even still I tell the box that I am using a progressive scan input.

I am not saying that contrast is difficult to setup - I am sure that for a ISF calibrator it would be easy, but using DVE for LCD's requires the use of the more advanced patterns. By eye, it is possible to get a similar looking picture at dramatically different contrast and brightness settings so I was never 100% sure what the correct setting was. In the end, I went for the one that gave me the better black level detail, which may be why some people see my settings as being a little bright.

If you get stuck on anything, hit the info button and select the on screen instructions. There are far more than in the manual and easier to find - for instance, you could look up DMI directly - assuming that it is available on the A series. BTW. The options for the SL are either DMI or DMM - so it may be that if you are not running in DMM mode, you are automatically using DMI mode.

Glad that otherwise you like your display.

-Ian

9. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ianh64

thanks for all the info (sorry if I implied something incorrect about the contrast - but using the DVE disc I find the contrast difficult to tie down).

Option on DMM is DMM or nothing (have sent query to LINN/LOEWE).

I guessed this about the EPG, was just hoping I was wrong.

I do see differences between comp/av/tv - but all contrast/brightness/colour settings seem to stay the same? Again have sent query to L/L.

Have owned Loewe's before so know about the Info button, which I agree is much better than the manual...

DJT75

no worries TVandVIDEO direct - best price I could find.

Cheers Mash

10. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everyone,

xelos a32 jus arrived today :) Jus wondering if any of u could post ur settings. I know that one has to be careful with contrast and brightness with new plasmas but am wondering if there are any tips or advice with regards to new lcds???

Cheers.

11. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Option on DMM is DMM or nothing (have sent query to LINN/LOEWE).

I guessed this about the EPG, was just hoping I was wrong.

I do see differences between comp/av/tv - but all contrast/brightness/colour settings seem to stay the same? Again have sent query to L/L.

Have got response from L/L - DMI and DNC are switched on as default.
    If anyone knows the service menu item to switch off DNC I would be grateful. I have always switched this off on previous models as it spoils the picture, in my opinion.

EPG only works with digital - have queried this again as ITV transmit an EPG that Philips use :confused:

There only one setting for these values, only picture format seems to be saved :confused: