XE1 vs. Marantz DV9500 and initial impressions!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Damian1978, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Well....after starting my proper jaunt into HD DVD (after trialing the 360 addon...way too noisy in operation) with an EP10 I upgraded to the XE1 after some teething troubles with a noisy drive on the EP10.

Was impressed with the EP10 as a standard DVD player and great with HD DVD's but it made a high pitched noise when spinning certain discs.

Went for the XE1 due to the better build quality and was expecting dramatic results. Now, I'm far from dissapointed but for SD DVDs I would have thought it may have surpassed the Marantz DV9500 (as its 1080i and a couple of years old). But, there's no real difference. I'd actually say the Marantz is better. There's ever so slightly less jaggies to menus and edges on DVD's, but the overall motion may be better on the XE1 (I guess thats because of the 1080p).

I've tried it briefly as a CD player. Again, Marantz wins. I never doubted it wouldn't but was worth ago. Now I sound like I'm giving it a hard time...I'm not. I love the design, nice finish and woot a metal clad remote!!!

Any one else done any comparisons like this?

Also...the player came with 1.5 firmware. The menus looked a tad flickery (as if they were interlaced?!?). The 2.0 updates seemed to smooth the menus out. Was this a fix?

Anyone else notice that the menus are bigger when playing a SD DVD to HD DVD? The EP10 didn't do this.

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Well, not in the same league, but I compared my Oppo 971 to the XE1 and found, as you did, more jaggies on the XE1, which I can't seem to get rid of. Apart from the macroblocking, which the Oppo is known for, the PQ seemed ALMOST comparable to me.

I had read on AVS of everyone ditching their Oppos once they had the XA2/A2s, but I'm glad I kept mine. The jaggies on SD really stand out now that I've noticed it.

Maybe it has something to do with the type of TV too. (Sony Rear Pro).:eek:

3. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I'd expect the sound quality for movies with SD material to be comfortably better on the Marantz too.

If you want to get the best from your SD DVD collection then I personally feel there should still be a space on your rack for a quality DVD player !

.... and now's the time to pick one up with second hand prices on SD players being hit relatively hard already. Look at what you can pick up for around £400 - Arcam DV27, Denon 3930, Marantz 9600 ;)

4. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    It was just a thought...what with the newer higher spec'd video and audio chips in the XE1.

The Marantz isn't going anywhere fast. I hope they make a similar quality dual format player shortly. That'd be good!!

5. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    When I updated, I was informed that amongst other things(?), the update fixed known chroma issues. To mine and some of my friends eyes, SD DVD upscaling has definitley improved since the update. Upscaling has never looked better on my TV :)