• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

XE1 HDMI 48/96Khz PCM - Here's How and Why

P

Peter Galbavy

Wierd, unobvious settings of the day...

While playing around with trying to reduce the number of bass management steps between the XE1 and the 4306 I came across one more oddity in the XE1 - and probably other models.

This is good - and may not really be news to others, but it is to me:

If S/PDIF output is set to Bitstream you get 48Khz PCM on HDMI.

If S/PDIF output is set to PCM you get 96Khz PCM on HDMI.

This is according to the amp status screen. I assume it's still 16 bit for both, but who knows. Might be 24 bit in the latter too. Anyone got an amp that tells them more ?

No audible difference on some quick tests with Transformers - I am only really testing bass management at the moment, but I can only imagine sloppy programming is to blame. Try to think like a Toshiba firmware engineer; "If I have the S/PDIF set to bitstream it means I have to re-endode the merged PCM streams and that will work at 48KHz, so let's make life easier and just produce 48Khz PCM to start with."

Doesn't make sense to me as you are not supposed to be able to pass 5.1 96KHz PCM over S/PDIF are you anyway ?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Wierd, unobvious settings of the day...

While playing around with trying to reduce the number of bass management steps between the XE1 and the 4306 I came across one more oddity in the XE1 - and probably other models.

This is good - and may not really be news to others, but it is to me:

If S/PDIF output is set to Bitstream you get 48Khz PCM on HDMI.

If S/PDIF output is set to PCM you get 96Khz PCM on HDMI.

This is according to the amp status screen. I assume it's still 16 bit for both, but who knows. Might be 24 bit in the latter too. Anyone got an amp that tells them more ?

No audible difference on some quick tests with Transformers - I am only really testing bass management at the moment, but I can only imagine sloppy programming is to blame. Try to think like a Toshiba firmware engineer; "If I have the S/PDIF set to bitstream it means I have to re-endode the merged PCM streams and that will work at 48KHz, so let's make life easier and just produce 48Khz PCM to start with."

Doesn't make sense to me as you are not supposed to be able to pass 5.1 96KHz PCM over S/PDIF are you anyway ?

Hi mate :)
This has been known for quite a while (upsampling to 96Khz) and is something i tried as well.................couldn't notice any difference so i just set it back so it reads 48Khz,surely it's best to leave it at what it's recorded at,no. :)

P

Peter Galbavy

I just think that the whole audio thing on the XE1 is confused and broken. Even if my amp doesn't decode HD audio, why isn't there simply a switch to pass unadulterated PCM via HDMI ? No undocumented bass management via analogue settings, no side effects of S/PDIF setting, no annoying button sounds and PiP crap ? Sigh. I might have to go Samsung dual standard just to escape - but I will wait for the reviews and early adopters...

P

Peter Galbavy

It does, sort of. Depending on which version of firmware you are running the XE1 does different things with bass on Small or Large speakers settings in the area that is documented as only affecting the analogue outs. You get different noises depending on how the unit appears to feel that day.

Sorry - I am frustrated - as I cannot get a staight path from HD DVD to speakers without playing 20 questions with the player and the amp. I almost have it sorted finally. The important thing is that the 4306 settings should work not just for the HD DVD player but all the other sources too. That's the hard bit.

P

Peter Galbavy

This has been known for quite a while (upsampling to 96Khz) and is something i tried as well.................couldn't notice any difference so i just set it back so it reads 48Khz,surely it's best to leave it at what it's recorded at,no. :)

Sorry to go back to this, but do no HD DVDs have 96KHz audio at this time ? I know the standard is supposed to allow for it...

city fan

I just think that the whole audio thing on the XE1 is confused and broken. Even if my amp doesn't decode HD audio, why isn't there simply a switch to pass unadulterated PCM via HDMI ? No undocumented bass management via analogue settings, no side effects of S/PDIF setting, no annoying button sounds and PiP crap ? Sigh. I might have to go Samsung dual standard just to escape - but I will wait for the reviews and early adopters...

Peter, I've been there. But now I've decided its not worth worrying about. The XE1 still sounds great. I use my analogues for TrueHD and DD+ and SPDIF for anything else. I'm happy enough with the sound, just turn my sub up where necessary :D

I know how you feel, but I decided its still a great player so what the hell. And a future firmware update may well sort out those BM issues for good. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom