XE1 "Can not find out server"

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gels,

I've just noticed that I get the "Can not find out server" error message when attempting to check for updates and in advance of my first movie that has extra online content. I've been able to upgrade my firmware via the ethernet a couple of times already with no problems but I'm a bit stumped why it reports no server with no sign of similar issues with the host server being reported on AVF.
I've done a few searches on AVF already and found plenty of posts detailing the ethernet settings on the XE1 required to connect to a router (and rebooting after each alteration) but nothing specific and recent about the router status when the link between them is active.

What I do need to know is if when the HD player is on and connected to a router does the router indicate a live connection (as it does with the PC)?
I honestly can not remember if this was the case since the router is tucked under the desk and not really in plainsight:)

I'm beginning to suspect a problem with the player (firmware or socket fault) since my router is working fine, the cable between them works when used for the PC and I've tried the existing and new permutations of settings with no luck.

Cheers:)

I take it you've checked the obvious stuff, like the DHCP server on the broadband router etc - and that you've been through the network port setup for the player?
Does the router have some method of viewing what DHCP clients are currently leasing an IP address from it (btw what type of router is it?)
Another thing to check is that you don't have MAC filtering set to on, on the router - you could also try temporarily turning off the router's firewall too!

Hi guys/gels,

I've just noticed that I get the "Can not find out server"

I had the same problem, i just kept trying and in the end it conected OK so in my case i assume it was just caused by toshibas servers being busy.

Thanks guys:)

Yeah I've spent the last couple of days going through the setup of both the XE1 and SKY supplied router (both of which have been working together perfectly since I bought the XE1 at launch) and it looks like the XE1 is simply not seeing the router and since the router doesn't indicate a connection on a spare port it's not seeing the XE1 either.

Perhaps I got lucky when I first hooked the XE1 and router together and completed a couple of updates or the last firmware was dud and I simply did not notice the failed link until I actually tried to use it.
Of course a hardware failure is also very probable since the router is working fine and and the cable is ok when used on the PC.

If either of you are using a ADSL router does it indicate a connection the the HD DVD player when it is on but not accessing the net?

It would depend on the router in use - the ones with 4 ethernet ports as will usually (the ones I've seen anyway) have a link light to indicate when each port has something active connected to it!

Have you tried altering the connection speed?

It would depend on the router in use - the ones with 4 ethernet ports as will usually (the ones I've seen anyway) have a link light to indicate when each port has something active connected to it!

Have you tried altering the connection speed?

Yep the Netgear DG834GT which SKY supplied has 4 ports with indicator lights to indicate a physical connection so I see the port which the PC uses as being lit all the time (even when PC is off thanks to power to the motherboard) where as I am fairly sure when the XE1 was on (as opposed to standby) that port also indicated it was active.
Now there is nothing to indicate an active link which since the router ports and cable all work with the PC points to an issues with XE1 itself unless I am missing something obvious which has changed (by itself) since I last used the ethernet connection to update the firmware.

I'll try the speed setting although it's clutching at straws:)

When you change the network speed on the XE1, try resetting router as well - while it may be a waste of time, there have been numerous problems over the years with ethernet link-speed auto-negotiation, with all sorts of kit!

No luck:(

I may have to wait for the next update, get a disk from Tosh and then if it doesn't solve the problem then it's still under warranty.

I would just ring up and order a disc. I had the same problem - connected for 1.5 and wouldn't for 2.0. I just rang up and 3 days later it dropped throught the letterbox

Installed the 2.2 update from the disk Toshiba sent me and alas still no connection to the router. Checked the cabling again and everything works fine when hooked up to the PC so it's not the router or cable and since I know the XE1 worked before I have to assume the player is :censored:

Installed the 2.2 update from the disk Toshiba sent me and alas still no connection to the router. Checked the cabling again and everything works fine when hooked up to the PC so it's not the router or cable and since I know the XE1 worked before I have to assume the player is :censored:

I always have the "Can not find out server" message when i try and update!
I have to turn off the Xe1,twice then it connects and downloads. :cool:

My router port light flashes away merrily as soon as the XE1 is switched on.

Have you tried a factory reset using the "Initialize" function in the maintenance menu ???

My router port light flashes away merrily as soon as the XE1 is switched on.

Have you tried a factory reset using the "Initialize" function in the maintenance menu ???

Yep that's what I remember mine doing, the router port lit up when the XE1 was on and went off when it was in standby but the router is tucked under the desk so it's not something I noticed on a day to day basis so I really have no idea if it failed right after the last OS update (via ethernet) or sometime between that and buying Heroes.

I re-initialised during my last struggle with the XE1 but not tried it with the 2.2, can't do any harm:)

Finally gave up on the player, new cabling re-initialising the player/router and trying every combination of data time and time again still leaves it with no net connection.

The player is being returned and well right now I hope it's a hardware failure because if they say it connects using their router well I would be totally bewildered:)

I couldn't get any of the online disc content to work, despite downloading forware updates without an issue, until I set the XE1 to use a network time server.

Once I had set it to use network time, everything started working.

Yep that has been tried as well (mentioned in one of the troubleshooting FAQ's on various HD DVD related websites), I've literally spent a couple of months trying one thing after another and after the last firmware update and new cabling doing it all again. Tosh CS couldn't offer any new advice so it's off to the service center while the warranty is in force, of course that means no player when Transformers drops through the letterbox:)

Have you tried physically unplugging the unit from the socket, plugging it back in then immediately trying to update?

Regards

John.

i have the exact same problem and i have tryed everything. even a different router. what on earth is up with my player. anyone have any ideas. the stupid thing is it must be connected to the net as it knows there is an update but it just wont let me download it.

Have you tried physically unplugging the unit from the socket, plugging it back in then immediately trying to update?

Regards

John.

Yep, tried the normal off/on after a change then a hard reboot with the router off and on to see if that made a difference, it didn't.

I've put more effort into trying to solve this problem than anyother device I have owned, if it had been a DVD player or TV it would have been sent back the next day but so many variables for the owner to try before making a warranty claim with hardware that is failing to make a net connection.

My XE1 just returned and the documentation says the main PCB was replaced and delighted to say that everything is now working as it should.
A minor relief there was a hardware fault, nothing more embarrassing than it being your fault all along:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom