1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDE losing digital channels

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by delvis, May 12, 2005.

1. delvis

delvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an 42" XDE around 2 months ago, all was well for the first week, after which I started losing all the channels every 2 or 3 days, all my other settings (contrast etc) would be OK though. I called the shop I got it from, they had never heard of this so they came and changed the media box for me.

This worked a treat for the first week or so again..... Then I started losing them again, it's now at the point where almost every day they are gone when we switch on the screen.

If the media box is left on standby rather than switched off it seems to be OK, but we like to switch everything off before we go to bed (being the treehuggers/tight swines that we are).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? done a search but can't find any mention of it.

Cheers

delvis

2. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi Delvis,I can't explain why you're losing channels,but in standby the media box uses 1.3w! Is this really going to damage the planet?
    Regards
    Ian

3. delvis

delvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Drd, it's just habit. We have been leaving it on lately coz it's a pain in the @rse having to program in the channels every time.

Do any other XDE owners switch off their media box every night and have no problems with channels?

4. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Delvis,

Although I don't switch my media box off (it's usually in standby mode) - I have lost the channels a few times when power has been switched off. Bit of a pain in the **** but rarely happens.

5. delvis

delvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Hallabusa

I guess there's nothing wrong with my box then, it's just a "design feature"

6. av_guy

av_guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar issue with our XDE Media Receiver (MR) - found to be a faulty batch. Dealer had to wait to get one out to me, due to a large demand. So, I unplugged our MR, took it in (I work 30 minutes away by bus), proved the digital channels were not even being found and I got a brand new boxed one.

Well done ASK Electronics (Tottenham Court Road, London) :smashin: for great service and understanding.

Although, circuitry should stand up to a multitude of on/off switches, this would reduce the Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) of a product, with so many pulses and signals being pushed through the electronics. But, no reason for immediate failure! However, we do leave our MR on standby, as the plasma screen, DVD Player, SKY Receiver and Amp.

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Is it not a bug? My mate is forever reprogramming the 05 boxes (the ones that come with the 435FDE/XDE). The 04 ones don't need reprogrammed.

8. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd expect the Freeview RX to have Lithium or re-chargeable battery support if the settings aren't in NVRAM. It may be a dead batt, or leaving it off made it deader and it just isn't getting chance to re-charge (if re-chargeable). Should be easy to find a coin cell and meter its voltage.

9. delvis

delvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies chaps

It is an 05 media box I've got. The battery thing fits in with the channels staying tuned for the first week or so on both media boxes, we only have the plasma on around 15 hours a week, as you said, thats not giving the battery much charging time.