1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDE Ghosting Issue

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Smudge Mouse, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Smudge Mouse

Smudge Mouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hello,

I've been the owner of a Pioneer 505 XDE for about a month now, and I've always noticed a very slight banding effect whenever there is an horizontal area of high contrast on the screen. This is not apparant from the usual viewing distance and is not easily seen with widescreen broadcasts. An example, and a very bad ASCII diagram (showing a rectangle of high contrast) would probably make things easier to discuss :lesson:.

--+-----------+---
    --+-----------+---

On a 4:3 broadcast from Sky with the border mask set to gray, displaying the sky info banner (by changing channels) will alter the darkness of the gray borders at the same vertical positions as the banner (this is also true of the picture itself but is harder to see). This is not just restricted to Sky but with any other source, in fact displaying the pioneer menus will result in the same banding.

I've also discovered that moving the media cable about (Most of the cable is mobile as I'm using the deskstand and the screen and box are close together) will either increase or decrease the appearance of the banding. This is leading me to believe that perhaps the media cable is either faulty or just not very good.

My questions are,

- Has anyone else noticed this banding (I might try to take a picture but not sure if a camera can capture the discrepancy) with high contrast areas?
    - If I look at replacing the media cable, what type of DVI cable should be used, DVD-I or DVD-D?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Apart from this issue, the XDE displays a fine picture.

2. M-Jay

M-Jay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I noticed it yesterday, I watched a DVD that has a menu with a white backgound and a blue logo in the center of the screen. I see the banding on the left and right side of the logo. I didn't try to move the media cable. I'll try that later today.