1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDA mini/i-mate Jam

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dog with 3 legs, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now in the market for an unlocked XDA mini/i-mate Jam/MDA Compact or whatever other name they come with.

Best Price I've seen so far is Expansys at £394. Anyone know of any better deals.

2. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Handtec are about a tenner cheaper.

It's a great handset by the way.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It certainly is. I got mine from www.phones2udirect.co.uk but that was on a contract. They do sim-free ones too, though.

4. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, these still don't look like grat deals. When you consider you can get an O2 XDA IIi for £180 and a £19 contract the mini with no WiFi looks expensive.

5. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  6. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Om the contrary, I just received mine a few days ago, and am paying a total of £230 for the machine, which includes the years line rental and 100 mins a month!

True, no wifi, but I'd rather have this than the brick sized XDAs! Besides, you can pick up wifi SD cards for £70 or so, if you really need it.

7. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now this is what I call a good deal, care to share where they are available at this price.

Are they locked to T-mobile, if so are they easy to unlock.

Yeah I agree about the brick like PDAs.

8. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    http://www.onestopphoneshop.com/ourdeals.php?PROV=121&OFF=1MDA&TAR=RELAX2

There you go.

Apparently, they are locked, but TMobile will unlock it for £15. However, this is still cheaper than the Imate Jam, AND, the TM version (Compact MDA) is apparently the best version to have - less bugs and more stable.

If anyone is interested in getting this, let me recommend you, and they'll give me £30, of which I will give you half. Just PM me with your name and telephone number.

9. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've yet to decide if I'm going for this but it looks a great deal. If I go ahead I will PM you. Cheers.

10. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yeah, no problem. I can highly recommend it! You really have to hold it in your hand to appreciate it. Tiny, all metal construction and solid as a rock! The photos that you see on the web doesn't do it justice!

11. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The £15 credit should pay for the cost of unlcoking the handset!

12. desvoodoo

desvoodoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The T-Mobile MDA Compact, Is it possible to get them unlocked for use with other networks. I am looking to use that sim in other handset and work sim in MDA. Is there a set time before unlock looking for work sim in MDA and t-mobile in old work handset.

13. paulsis

paulsis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The jam is £376.99 sim free and the qtek s100 (same phone but with a two year warranty) is £374.99 at www.buymobilephones.net with free next day delivery.

They are also free on lots of contracts

regards

14. Lozza

Lozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an SPV E200 but my contract has expired so I'm looking for a new handset. I'm looking for something that is more pda like but still good for making calls. I'm thinking about Treo 650 but I've started looking at the imate jam as well. Neither has wifi, which is a shame as I have a wifi enabled house. I was a bit confused about that because mobiles4everyone stated that the jam did but it must have that wrong.

Everyone here seems happy with their imate jam but what is it like to use as a phone? Are there any plans to incorporate wifi that people are aware of? Does the SD card drain the battery quickly (I have one for my palm and it flattens the battery quite quickly).

15. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I love my JAM :) The main reason I got one was because it was usable as a phone.

My main problem with phone use is that (as far as I can tell) you can use all the phone functions one-handed using the hard buttons except for getting back from the contacts screen if you pick the wrong number. To do that you have to hit the "close" soft button in the top right corner of the touch screen, which if a bit hard if you have fat fingers.

You tend to leave your earprint on the screen after a phone session, too. If I'm in a quiet room I always use the excellent speakerphone instead.

You can get WiFi SDIO cards if you want to add WiFi to your JAM. No idea about compatability, though.

16. malpass

malpass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Do you have much expreience with phones2udirect? they seem to be the cheapest place to get this phone on an o2 contract, but i've never dealt with an online only phone retailer. i have always gone to the o2 shop.

One other question - do i go thru phones2udirect with all billing questions and warrenties? as you can tell im very concerned :confused:

p.s. can i port my number from a current o2 phone to a new o2 contract yet?

cheers! :)

17. Spenny_B

Spenny_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Both me and my Brother are seriously considering buying an iMate or rebadged variant (prob the T-Mobile MDA), however, on a review site, I've just read that the BlueTooth drivers used in the Windows Mobile 03 edition aren't the usual WIDCOMM ones, but instead Microsofts own...meaning:

Now, the main reason we're buying these are to use TomTom with a BlueTooth GPS receiver. I'm currently using TT v3 on an HP iPaq 2210 with no probs (with TomTom's own silver receiver); my Brother is going to wait for TT v5, out in a few weeks, which will have a new version of their GPS BT receiver.

Is anyone using TomTom on an iMate with a BT GPS receiver?...If so, need we be concerned with the above comments? :eek: ...full review is here...

iMate / MDA Review

Also, per above posting, I want to do a similar thing with swapping the T-Mobile SIM card for my work-mobile Orange card...would T-Mobile allow me to un-lock it straight away or only after 1 yr (for example)?

Thanks in advance,

Spencer.

18. Spenny_B

Spenny_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...think i may have answered my own question (slight case of RTFM!) :rolleyes:

T-Mobile's MDA Compact = supported
    Vodafones VPA Compact = supported
    Qtek S100 = supported
    iMate = no mention (only the PDA2k) :confused:

TomTom

Spencer

19. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spenny,

I've got a friend who had T-Mobile send him an unlock code after about 2 weeks of recieving his Compact. Think it cost him £20 though.

You can get the codes for less than that but he was in a rush.

ledzep

20. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an MDA Compact with Tomtom and an Emtac bluetooth GPS unit - no problem. Also use a Motorola HS850 with it - no problem. Only problem I do have is that I can't seem to get it to communicate with my laptop as a wireless GPRS modem.

21. Spenny_B

Spenny_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps!...TotalPDA didnt mention any probs when my Bro spoke to them, so presume no probs.

S