XDA Exec to internet via laptop?

whymca

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting hold (hopefully) of an XDA Exec (or similar brand) smartphone soon and I've got a couple of questions.

I'll initially be using my old PAYG sim because I don't want to commit to a contract until I've changed jobs (don't ask :mad: ).

Consequently access to the internet will not be available via my mobile provider.

My question is, is it possible for me to browse the internet via my laptop and Wi-Fi (laptop has 80211b capability). I don't have a wireless router or anything, we can only use a wired connection because my wife works partly from home and her (American-based) company does not allow her to work across a wireless connection.

You may well ask, what's the point? If I've got a laptop, why don't I just use that? Well, I'm lazy! :D and it'd be nice to be able to leave the laptop plugged into the USB modem and browse wirelessly from wherever in the house I find myself! (seeing as i can't have a wireless connection for the laptop atm)

So, in short, is it possible?

TIA. :smashin:

When you have the phone connected to a PC via a USB cable & Active Sync you can see t'internet. There's an option on the wifi for computer-computer, so assuming Active Sync lets you connect this way then I guess the answer is a possible yes, but I haven't tried it.

Ulink - thanks mate, I'll have to have a bit of a play when I get it. I'll post back here if I have any success. Cheers. :smashin:

Okay here goes, hope this helps

firstly, a little history . i've a xda type smartphone for a number of years from a spv e200 then to a xda ii (upgraded to wm5) then i had a exec for a few months before swapping it for a mini-s (alot better to handle)

Now once your pc establishes a partnership with your exec via activesync, you can then connect up via bluetooth..... there is a option within activesync to allow internet pass throu via bluetooth, so you can for all intense purposes use your bluetooth on your phone to surf the net.

Now the other post also said that you can establish a wifi computer-computer connection (ad-hoc) kinda like a workgroup wirelessly.

Now i'm not sure if this will allow you to access the internet unless you enable internet-connection sharing, but this is a windows system and may not work with a pda. Your best bet is to use the bluetooth solution which does work and is fully supported by activesync.

Check out www.xda-developers.com for further info, hope this helps you.

steverae - thanks mate, that's great. How do you find your Mini-S?

I'm tempted to get one of those also. i've got a budget of around £500. Having looked on fleabay i could probably pick up both an Exec (or variant) and a Mini-S (or variant) within that budget (£300 for the Exec, £200 for the Mini). The Exec would be perfect for the week where I carry loads of stuff to work anyway and then the mini for the weekend, where the bulk of the Exec may become a pain.

The other solution is the TyTN which does most of what the Exec does but in the Mini form-factor, but that's about £450 sim-free, so that would eat up most of my budget.

Ah well, decisions, decisions.

Cheers for the info. :smashin:

I'm an XDA user since dec 2005. It is feature packed & powerful, but if very inconvenient to use as a normal mobile. Mini XDA is much better option, but less powerful in all aspects (wifi range, processor power etc)

HTH

whymca said:
steverae - thanks mate, that's great. How do you find your Mini-S?

I'm tempted to get one of those also. i've got a budget of around £500. Having looked on fleabay i could probably pick up both an Exec (or variant) and a Mini-S (or variant) within that budget (£300 for the Exec, £200 for the Mini). The Exec would be perfect for the week where I carry loads of stuff to work anyway and then the mini for the weekend, where the bulk of the Exec may become a pain.

The other solution is the TyTN which does most of what the Exec does but in the Mini form-factor, but that's about £450 sim-free, so that would eat up most of my budget.

Ah well, decisions, decisions.

Cheers for the info. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom