1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XD engine vs WEGA vs Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by totalmadness, Apr 15, 2005.

1. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been doing research on the LG XD engine which aparently boasts the following video processing:

-Pixel works
    -Real cinema
    -Base coordinator
    -Super detailer
    -Noise buster
    -True colour
    & DCDi.

Does anyone know if it does what it says on the packet??

Are any of the other manufacturers video processing chips better than the XD chip in LG PDP's?

2. iJeff

iJeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an LG and Personally I don't think the XD makes a huge difference, switch it on and it's like the contrast is adjusted to give a sharper picture, nothing that will make you sit up and take notice.

Apart from that the LG RZ42PY10X (note the PY10 model) has a superb picture, but like any large screen it's only as good as the source input. Sky will look OK, but feed a DVD from a good player and one preferably with a scaler to take the picture to 1080i and WOW! :cool:

3. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would disagree - XD makes a difference on SCART / S-video inputs. It brings out details that are otherwise a blur. It's not necessary on DVI / VGA though, and can cause problems.

AFAIK, the Viera doesn't have directly comparable processing - but then if you use the built-in freeview tuner, it's probably unnecessary in the same way that XD is unnecessary for DVI / VGA inputs. That said, the processing that the Viera / Panny does do is probably better in it's own way - it's softer and shows less detail than XD, but handles motion better.