• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

xCloud & Console Streaming (Remote Play)

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So Xcloud is live now and included as part of Games Pass Ultimate.

To get started you need an Android Device and Games Pass Ultimate, download the following App and get playing.

You will need a controller with Bluetooth and maybe a Holder/Cradle to clip onto the controller for your Phone.

And also Console Streaming is also in Beta at the moment.

And it works very well.

This is on my Phone Streaming my Console Dashboard and I can load up any game I own.

Remote Play.jpg

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
EDITED

I used the Gamepass app last night after seeing your Destiny 2 post. Got me some nice easy points :)

Last edited:

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I thought the remote play feature was fine on the normal Xbox app. I don't think you need the beta one.

I had to override the ping issue as it wouldn't let me connect with a bad ping, bit it was the king to the ms servers that was bad, connecting straight to my console worked out ok.

Still interested to see if they bring xcloud and remote play to consoles to allow streaming from a series X to a one s.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I thought the remote play feature was fine on the normal Xbox app. I don't think you need the beta one.

I had to override the ping issue as it wouldn't let me connect with a bad ping, bit it was the king to the ms servers that was bad, connecting straight to my console worked out ok.

Still interested to see if they bring xcloud and remote play to consoles to allow streaming from a series X to a one s.

You can't remote play using the normal Xbox App on mobile device can you ?
I know you can connect to your console and use the App as a remote but can't play games or stream the console to your phone unless I am missing something ?

Xcloud would be good for consoles especially for 1st Party Games on Games Pass as you can then stream when they release before they download but then again most games on GamesPass can be Pre-Installed.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Slight confusion from me, I was using this app not the Xbox app.

Can't blame new for getting confused, I not have Xbox, game pass, game streaming beta and then Xbox beta as well. Why is there so many apps, surely they could roll these in to a single app.

Yeah doesn't help, think they are trying to get it down to 2 Apps, 1 for Xbox and 1 for Game Pass.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I've been half expecting this and surprised it isn't a thing already. No idea what they'd be building, would it work like chromecast, be just Xbox, have media apps? Could it remote play your own Xbox to a second TV as well not just a cloud version. Lots of questions with no answers. It would actually be a micro console worth considering at last and is what the PS TV should have been when Sony launched it.

Still wish they'd patch in support for xcloud and remote play on the the Xbox one line, hell if they want old fans back patch it on to the 360 and get all those people subbing to gamepass, there's no reason they couldn't seeing as they just patched in free cloud saves to help them to upgrade to the new consoles. Crazy idea, maybe, but part of me would love to see them go silly with things like this to really expand to as many people as possible.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
I've been half expecting this and surprised it isn't a thing already. No idea what they'd be building, would it work like chromecast, be just Xbox, have media apps? Could it remote play your own Xbox to a second TV as well not just a cloud version. Lots of questions with no answers. It would actually be a micro console worth considering at last and is what the PS TV should have been when Sony launched it.

Still wish they'd patch in support for xcloud and remote play on the the Xbox one line, hell if they want old fans back patch it on to the 360 and get all those people subbing to gamepass, there's no reason they couldn't seeing as they just patched in free cloud saves to help them to upgrade to the new consoles. Crazy idea, maybe, but part of me would love to see them go silly with things like this to really expand to as many people as possible.

Yeah there is so much potential to tap into the very casual market. Even if they didn’t have their own device and managed to get XCloud onto firsticks

reecie

I used remote play last weekend to play a MP match during the Black Ops beta On my iPad. It was surprisingly playable. Graphically looked decent but lacked the snappy responsiveness to play well compared to normal. But I can see for single player games of the right type it is a handy option. I’m assuming the way it is set up you can truly remote play outside of your local lan?

winka45

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy S20 next month and using a Dex cable to connect it to TV for cloud gaming, anyone else do this and what's your experience with it.

Don't know whether to invest in a Xbox controller or just use my DS4. Also might get one of them clips to attach to the phone so need to decide which controller I'll stick with.

Ps 5 will be my main time gaming but not had an xbox since the 360 so there will be a few games I can catch up on.

Nukleuz

Dex is wireless now too. Though find it a bit more laggy on my note 20 whilst streaming both the game and the screen.

Vini

How annoying is it that you cannot remote play to Win10!?? Just wasted an entire morning messing with Ports/NATs/Config to find out this isn't even supported...

Whats even more frustrating is that the non S/X can stream to Win10 just fine!

Nukleuz

There is a test app floating around that allows streaming to Win10 from XSX and I've finally found a workaround via reddit. Solution below for those interested..

1. Go to https://store.rg-adguard.net
  2. Copy/paste this URL and click the tick
    URL: Buy Xbox Game Streaming (Test App) - Microsoft Store en-GB
  3. Grab this file towards the bottom: Microsoft.XboxGameStreaming-ContentTest_1.2011.1701.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle
  4. Once download, double click to install - you may need to enable side loading in windows security settings if it gets blocked.
  5. Launch the app, select Series X and done
Works pretty well, though I can't get sound just yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom