1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xcard/Holo3d problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Aug 1, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, i have it all together! But, its not working correctly!

I have dvd region killer which is working ok. I have the spin slow down utility and im guessing it is working ok. Latest H3d (rc2) drivers and software.

I put in T2 UE R1..... i get some garbled words and noises coming through (in what seems like an accelerated fashion..... smurf style! :eek:) and apparently no picture. After a few seconds all goes quiet and all that is left is 2 lines of text, one saying play and the other saying theatrical edition. From there i cant seem to do anything.

R4 true lies..... again i can get audio which i recognise from the menu opening sequence, but it is jerky, discontinuous and speeded up. This time no image.

R2 The cell. Jerky discontinuous start up, but this time i can get to the menu screen and see it properly. While this menu is displayed, the acompanying audio track plays fine. However, when i press play....... xcard app freezes and i have to close it down and get the accompanying 'non responsive program' and error report lark.

However, it does work in some senses. I tried my friends copy of harry potter which she burned onto a dvd (this worked in my sony dvd player). This doesnt have any menus and opens straight to the film...... and it does so fine. I can watch it with the picture seeming fine and the sound likewise, none of the break ups and sillyness that im getting with anything else.

I have tried a few others but havent got anything beyond what ive said above.

So help please! :D

Ad

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Did you try the Xcard on its own first? I would say that putting in 2 cards of this nature (IE not entirely mainstream/mass market unlike a graphics card) at the same time and then also wanting them to work in harmony is a bit too risky for my liking. Obviously some people have had no problems at all, but i believe there are quite a few people having problems with the Xcard, even on its own.

I would put the Xcard in on its own, and proceed from there.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well Xcard def works.....

I have managed to get some things playing..... all the R2 i try seems ok, all but the matrix region 4 is ok, ntsc avia is ok, but i cant get any film based NTSC to play.....

there seems to be a lack of connection between the discs which wont play

Ad

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I don't see how you can say that the Xcard definately works when you're having trouble with random discs. The issues that you describe (garbled sound, crazy menu options) would indicate to me that something is definately up with the Xcard, rather than the H3D not doing its job properly.

Sean

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because so far i have managed to get every R2 disc to play properly and a fair few R4's....... something up with the card would not likely do that. Plus the discs that dont work dont change, a disc wont work once then not the next time......

Best suggestion so far is a region problem..... :eek:

Ad

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yup...... a region problem :mad: I was through dvdregion killer, dvd genie, region selector....... nothing. I have Rob Screene to thank for suggesting AnyDVD in a previous topic. This software seems very good, especially since it has suceeeded where nothing else i could find could.

Ad

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Glad you got it sorted, i'm interested in your findings!

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thats sorted..... BUT, im getting jerky playback..... maybe my processor is a bit slow for this.

Ad

9. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thats weird about AnyDVD. I always thought it was just Regionkiller in disguise, now that you cannot get regionkiller anymore. My xcard works fine with Regionkiller. What region is the xcard set to in the driver?
    Do you use the remote that came with the xcard? I had some strangeness until I stopped using it and set the COM port to none.

Andy

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I couldnt honestly say what region the driver is set to, i'll have a check when im home tonight. I'll also have a go at moving the sigma remote to none..... i have been using it up until now...... at first i had both it and streamzap, then a reload meant i had just realmagic (which incidentally i cant get to operate h3d).

Can you actually tell me for sure that you can get a nice smooth playback consistently? I'm slightly bothered by having failed to achieve this all weekend, it doesnt bode too well for a stable solution! An sdi panasonic seems increasingly attractive! :D

Oh...... a nuisance with andvd is of course you have to pay for it :( so every time i restart, i have to click 'continue' on the anydvd startup thingy else i cant play anything...... not a big deal but a nuisance to have to go dashing for a mouse time and again!

thanks

Ad

11. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are using just the realmagic remote then this is probably not your problem. Mine came when I was also using irman and girder.
    I don't have the holo3d so sorry but I cannot comment. I use the pdi xcard combo with Dscaler. I get smooth pans, but have judder terminator switched on. I know 4.1.8. is out soon and will support the h3d.
    If you look at the website, it looks like anydvd bought regionkiller and repackaged it for money. Not sure if this is true, but it looks very similar. That is why I thought it odd Regionkiller didn't work. Works for me and is free.
    Do you use version 2 or 1 of the xcard software? Is tv output set ok ? And wide mode. (I'm sure you've done all this, but they do sometimes reset themselves i find)
    From what I have read the holo3d is very sensitive to refresh rates (to the nearest .xx), so I would look there.
    Rob is really your man for all this as he has that exact combo. Might be worth waiting for Dsacler 4.1.8 though cos its good software.

Good luck
    andy

12. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Buns.

I confirm it's stable, judder free and working brilliantly (although I use Girder, not the snapstream holo remote, just because I'm used to it).

I'm also running 2.0pre4 and the first beta "PDI holo" drivers, as I've not installed the new 2.0 RC2 and later drivers yet, though I might try them over the next few evenings.

I did try AnyDVD in the past to see if would allow me to skip over user-op prohibited adverts and fbi screens but it didn't seem to work and gave me problems, crashing and skipping and all sorts of wierdness, so I stick with DVD RegionKiller.

I'd say uninstall all the anydvd/region killer and xcard remote. Ensure the Xcard is working stably for a ringle region, via say it's own S-Video output, then check via the holo3d.

Then re-install region killer.

Make sense?
    cheers,
    Rob.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ikland,

I can def say dvdregion killer doesnt work for me.... xmedia simply tells me wrong region and no media to play..... apparently xcard has a region setting somewhere so i will have to try and see if i can first find it and then change it! Beyond that i am set up fine, i have tried both version of the xmedia software and both do the same thing. I have tried joveplayer as well but it is even worse!

Rob,

Once the sun goes down i will get it all fired up and try to get shot of everything (again!) then try to run as single region through a standard xcard output.

Anydvd does work for me, its not the problem at all, its the judder! Argh! Ive never really looked for it before but now that im looking its just so obvious to me! (incidentally not that im looking closely i can see tearing as well! :( )

thanks

Ad

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, i have tried a few different things with the assistance of a totally non experienced mother!

I tried the x-card alone..... could only try the vga because i cant get at the back of my pj without spending some hours reinstalling it all after! Anyhow.... we both agreed that on its own, the xcard looked pretty awful, but it was reasonably smooth, watchably so. This was with all other programs stopped. In comparison, pdi through h3d was noticeably jerky, even to someone whgo didnt know what she was looking for. Likewise i tried svideo from xcard to h3d and the jerking was probably the worst yet. We also compared my soon to be posted sony player by component.... to be honest i even saw some jerky ness here (or maybe i was looking too hard!), but it was the best of the bunch. So in order of smoothness, sony player then xcard vga then xcard/h3d pdi and finally xcard/h3d svideo.

I was trying with R2 having uninstalled anydvd (though I cant honestly saw any change following the uninstall).

Further of note is that the image seemed more prone to tearing with xcard/h3d than it did with the external player. Though it is also important to note that the xcard/h3d pdi picture was clearly the sharpest most pleasant picture.

So best guesses are that there are pci bus issues as suggested at immersive....... so that sounds a bit like hardware needs pumping time :(

Ad

15. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the new drivers off the web? They have added divx 3.x now and a new better looking setup :)

16. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ads,
    What resolution and refresh are you running and in to what display device?

cheers,
    Rob.

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have tried all the newest drivers..... likewise i have tried various versions of powerstrip and my display drivers but all with the same inherent proble. The only thing i havent done is tried an older version of H3d which i plan on doing tonight following a complete disc erase and re install of OS etc.

My display is a sanyo plv30 projector. I have tried varuous resolutions and timings, my preferred has always been either 800x600 or 800x450 at 59.94, both of which gave perfectly adequate results.

thanks

Ad

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got me a fancy copy of windows which is supposed to be alot more stable...... so i'll give it a shot as soon as i can.

Ad

19. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I did a new build, plus holo3d. Tested with S-Video off consoles while pondering Xcard or SDI.

I installed Girder and the holo3d girder export group to work with my IRman and Denon remote; others may prefer to use the USB Snapstream IR, but I've not installed it.

DVD-rom was already rpc1 region free.

I then installed Xcard/drivers/pdi cable. Checked this worked ok, then installed dvd RegionKiller.

good luck,
    Rob.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did get it sorted...... but i have decided that i have something better now! :D Xcard going up in classifieds!

Ad

21. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem hi Ad, hate to rain on your parade but the differences between the XP versions you have used make zero difference for Audio and Video!

22. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well it did work! Beyond that i dont give a monkeys! So what is the best XP to use?

Ad

23. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It's not what version, its what you do with it that counts. ;)

24. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what is there to do beyond removing non essential services!?

Ad

25. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah now that's what I call "Intellectual Property" :cool:

As to the versions... for HTPC it doesn't matter. The key differences are as follows:

XP Home is the baseline product.
    XP Pro is the baseline product with essentially additional networking capabilities for Domain Membership and Management, IP Security and Feature set and a few other business and system management bits (am using laymans terms). None of which impact HTPC.
    XP Corporate as you suggest is a copy of Pro normally licensed with a Corporate Site licence and therefore does not need automated Product Activation.

There are many things that can be done to XP (any version) to make it specific to HTPC.

Regards Neil.

26. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so basically anyone saying XP pro is the best for pc is just talking through their second wind passage?!

More to the point Neil, anything beyond stopping services..... does it actually make an appreciable performance difference? I know in your setup its important that you have everything well under control, but for someone like me who cares only that h3d turns on at boot...... do these tweaks warrant the time investigating them?

Ad

27. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With care I believe so. Simple things like registry tweaks, altering the machines methods of memory management, gui mods, those kind of things all add up to improve performance and stability.

In the Clarus Video Processor you power it on, it runs fully automated (apart from the usual image type controls) and you power it off.

Sure it's not a HTPC to do everything a PC can do, it's not designed for that. It's designed for watching films and be a Processor. You can't have some rogue XP process knocking you out :nono:

Add in an SDI Player at a low price point (finally) and you have an awesome setup.

It could be improved further by using XP Embedded but it's so damn expensive to develop :(

Neil.

28. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'll have to have an investigate in that case! Though i suspect you have spent many months to achieve your noticeable rewards..... time which i dont have and patience which i dont even desire! :D

Even sdi with my lowly set up looks very very good, much more pleasant than the next best component, even on my projector! I could have been wrong about not upgrading to h3d II..... i might have to get in touch when the reserves have fiulled a bit! :D

I love both the look and sound of your machine! It sounds like a killer! Just remember we're all your friends when you are raking in the millions! :D

Ad

29. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Buns

I spent a couple of hours over the weekend implementing several pages of XP tweaks I had gathered from various sites.

These certainly worked. I too have the H3D/Xcard combo and while I had nothing near the set up problems you appear to have encountered, I did have some small stutter problems as well as lip-synch issues.

I had an opportunity this week to watch 10 minute snippets of several DVDs this week and all of my problems are gone! Rock solid picture and no noticible lip-synch issues.

Unfortunately, I cannot supply links to all the tweaks as I gathered them over time and compiled a hardcopy. I can forward a copy to you if you like.

Have you revealed your new secret stuff yet?

Peter

30. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Meep,

I would like if you could send me a copy, that would be wonderful! :D

My secret stuff isnt really secret anymore! Plus i still havent got it all! I've let slip to various people..... I got an sdi rp82 last week, a servo 15 ordered ages ago and on my threat of going to head office, it should be here next week...... then what i hope to be my new love (no..... not a woman this time!), a bryston sp1.7 the order for which was placed some 4 weeks ago tomoz so im hoping to see it within the fortnight! :D

I havent watched a film properly in well over a month and with so many upgrades, im dying to get it all working! Actually im very much looking to dvd-a...... I built up the amp and speaker set up very much with this in mind so im really looking forward to hearing if its as good as people say!

Ad