1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XCard-Component and Radeon DVI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cwinson, Oct 8, 2003.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use a Radeon 9600 in my HTPC, with DVI connection to my projector and S-Video (TV) connection to my TV. I use the ATI video drivers to hot-key switch between primary and secondary monitors as required. All works fine, but....

I am lookling at getting a new TV with component-in (progressive PAL and NTSC), and would like to know how best to connect up my HTPC using component video.

I am assuming I need an X-Card (or equivalent) to do this, but I'm not sure how the PC will handle the 2 video cards. (new card for component and Radeon 9600 for DVI)

Has anyone done this before ?

Is it possible to do what I'm suggesting ?

Are the any gotchas I need to be aware of ?

Chris

2. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You can get an adapter cable for radeons that let you output component to rca connections, however they may only be avaliable in dvi>component rca form as opposed to vga>component rca. You could then use the radeon for both the primary and secondary display.

3. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XCard is not a graphics card like the ATI, in fact unless you do a special conection passing the vga output through it before conecting it to a display you won't be able to see its output on your PC monitor.
    It is designed for TV, not PC, so there is no problem whatsoever having both at the same time.
    I have an ATI 9700Pro and the XCard and never had any problem.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I also have an XCard and a Radeon living happily together in my HTPC with no problems,and use the Radeon as the PC's monitor output,and the XCard for the TV.

5. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alexs2,
    Have you tried the Xcard scaling? if so, does it look much better than standard 576p? and wich one is best 720p or 1080i?
    Cheers

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I haven't,as the RPTV I have is not an HDTV compatible set,and actually looks very good using component video from the Xcard...certainly at least as good as most DVD player's I've seen in terms of quality.