XCard compared to Denon DVD-2900?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by starcat, Mar 28, 2006.

1. starcat

starcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Has anyone compared the video quality output of the XCard to a Denon DVD-2900 dvd player, especially both component outpus and SDI outputs of both (if both are SDI moded)? I have heard the XCard output suffers from CUE (Chroma Upsampling Errors), any thoughs on that?

I am just making a decision if I should keep the Denon player for discs playback in addition to my HTCP/XCard/Joveplayer setup which I use most of the time (mainly for network playback from NAS) but may also use it as DVD transport.

PS:
    At the moment I have both sources connected through component to a component switcher and then go component into my plasma display. I am thinking about getting an external scaler like the Lumagen Vision for all the video processing stuff which will be a standalone and more flexible solution.

Thanks!

2. starcat

starcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have not made any comparisons to the x card so strictly speaking this is off topic. My understanding is that the rationale for using an x card is no longer valid with today's graphic cards and processors. Software players have overtaken it so comparisons to these may be more valid.

Chris

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    An X card is no match for a 2900. A properly setup HTPC could better such a player but the Xcard and its predecessor the Sigma was primarily additional hardware support to take the burden off pcs using software players. The abundance of power that modern pcs have renders these hardware players redundant and the Xcards main advantage was that it enabled the ability to use component and scart via dongles.

5. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I must admit that my main reason for using an Xcard was due to the fact that I was trying to connect to a standard CRT and it seemed to give a much better output than the TVout on a graphics card.

Regards

Big Vern

6. starcat

starcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi there,

ChrisOH: You are right about the software players, but I would rather not play with different setting and all other things in the general purpos windows OS. But you are right, even TVmedia (the Joveplayer successor) is doing everything in software with DirectShow and must not anymore go through the hardware of XCard. However, I prefer the direct component or RGB out of the XCard (or even better the SDI out when modded) and then go into an external scaler. I need the XCard as a frontend accessing and playing DVD media from a server. This is something a Denon 2900 can not do. The reason I look into network players is because I may consider something else than the XCard (like the Elgato EyeHome) if it is of the same PQ but is simplier to use, i.e. no general purpose windows HTPC, etc.

Cable_Monkey: Have you compared the 2900 to the XCard? I am pretty sure that I cannot see a difference (except for the deinterlacing of the 2900 which the XCard do not do, but is pretty damn good in recostructing the progressive signal in film mode (afaik I do no watch any video show content)). Going SDI out into a Lumagen HDQ may solve all the deinterlacing/postprocessing/scaling issues. The internal DVD-ROM drive may serve also as a DVD transport from time to time making the 2900 obsolete in the setup. And exactly the own component/RGB out with perfect synchronised digital audio out without fiddling each time with all the settings is XCard's main advantage over the software players.

Big_Vern: My observation too. I played wiht s-video out on graphic cards, back in the early days and also on recent ATI and Nvidia cards and the XCard's output easily outperforms them picture quality wise.

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    starcat, I have compared an unmodded Xcard to my 3910. I prefered the all round experience of the 3910. If both were SDI modded, I think I would still prefer the convenience of the stand alone player. Personal choice.:)
    p.s. Try comparing your Xcard to a modern graphics card using its DVI output into a modern LCD/plasma.

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Xcard TV (Svid or composite or component) out is very good compared to a GFX card at standard TV definition.

Xcard component\VGA at 720p or1080i is poor compared to a sofware player output from a GFX card.

The beauty of the Xcard is on standard TVs the picture is perefectly acceptable. With TVedia you have a very easy to use frontend with little overheads on the PC. I used an Xcard with Tvedia on a celeron 500 with XP and 192mb of ram. Worked wonderfully.