1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xcard and All-in-Wonder

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lazysod, Jun 17, 2002.

1. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, just upgraded to Sigma Xcard to output my Divx files to TV, and everytime i load the Sigma drivers it stops the video capture working on the ATI. Odd because it was working fine with a Hollywood+ installed, Sigma are trying to help me out at the moment but ATI dont seem to want to know. Anyone out there able to help.
    I was also thinking of building a HCPC just to play my captured files and DVD through the TV, is it possible to just connect the TV on the s-video plug and boot up without a monitor.
    Thanks

2. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi lazysod
    sorry I cant help with your prob, but I've recently become interested in the xcard, could you tell me a couple of questions?

1. How does its quality compare to the hollywood+ on a vga monitor and tv

2. Will it output Pal progressive on component at 576p or can you select 480p and it works ok.

A nice review would go down well :D :D

cheers
    john

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi All, A bit of info on place of purchase and cost would be welcome from me thanks..

4. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Never got the Xcard working with the All-in-wonder (Sigma are still working on it, good lads) so i didnt get to compare quality.
    But according to RD at Sigma the picture is exactly the same as the Hollywood+ only difference is the ability to play Divx, I,ve resorted back to the Hollywood+ and it works great with the All-in-wonder because it doesnt set itself up as the primary Mpeg display (this is what the Xcard does and causes no end of problems).
    The full screen version of the Hollywood+ is as good as my Marantz DV7000, and its progressive scan aswell,as soon as Sigma get it sorted and send some new drivers for the Xcard i,ll post a review.
    cheers

5. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi again lazysod
    Do you have a progressive compatible display?

j

6. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Toshiba 36ZD26P

7. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    36ZD26P

Good one!

Don't suppose you tried a dvd via prog scan component when you had it plugged in by any chance??

And if so did you manage to get pal prog working??

Does it convert to 480p??

Im very interested as its either this or a 400 quid player!

j

8. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, this is from the manual ,Progressive or interlaced component YPbPr video output, scalable up to HDTV resolution (DVD playback limited to 480i, 576i and 480p) Pal or NTSC.
    All i managed to do was watch a recorded Divx program but no sound. My main interest is using the All-in-wonder Radeon as a PVR and because the Xcard stopped the TV launching i gave up and put the Hollywood+ back in. I may build another HCPC with just a TV out graphics card so i can use the Xcard but it just seems all a bit of nightmare just to watch Divx.
    As for buying one I would wait a while as there seem to be many bad experiences out there with the XCard, or buy the Hollywood+ which i really like i,ve been using it now for 4 years.
    Are you using a Radeon All-in-wonder?

9. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Follow up . Sigma told me to try this
    Run in folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM or WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 the
    following DOS Commands to unregister the XCard filters
    (you could put them in a DOS batch file) :
    regsvr32 -u rmmpeg2.ax
    regsvr32 -u rmsplit.ax
    regsvr32 -u crmsplit.ax
    regsvr32 -u crmmem.ax

To retore the functionality of the Xcard, change back quartz.dll
    to quartz.dll.xxx in the Registry and run the DOS Commands
    without the "-u" option to register the Xcard filters as follows:
    regsvr32 rmmpeg2.ax
    regsvr32 rmsplit.ax
    regsvr32 crmsplit.ax
    regsvr32 crmmem.ax
    Still didnt work

10. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi lazysod
    Are most of the bad experiences related to the dixv? I think to get that working properly you have to use sigmadesigns mp4 codec which they have just released, you shouldn't have to but I would guess that is the case for total trouble free playback.

I'm using an old mpact2 vga card that I bought of someone in the forums a couple of weeks ago, its quite good, its very smooth now I have figured out what not to do with it, I was running registry hacks for full 24-bit colour and different resolutions and I was getting a nice picture but with the effect that the chip wasn't drawing the screen image fast enough, last night the penny dropped and true enough it only seems to run smoothly without screen tearing at its native resolution of 720x480x16(18 bit) colour. I thought it strange that they didn't enable full 24 bit and support for other resolutions out of the box - now I know why! :D

I was using a herc gf3 ti 200 with c1.1ghtz for dvd playback but it constantly microstuttered, tried everything to cure it, different dvd software - windvd 3+2000+2.5, powerdvd 3+xp, theatretek, wmp etc and win98se and xp, vortex2 and fortissmo II sound cards, nothing made any difference, powerdvd had great colours but the playback was terrible, windvd was much better but had poor colours, theatretek wouldn't run at all. So in the end I wanted a easy to use solution and thus the mpact2 is in use now and I have to say its pretty good, I built an old pc from bits I had left spare and it runs happily now I have turned down the colour and resolution.

I was interested in the xcard as I could have full 24-bit colour, progressive scan, be able to switch component sources via a amp and control the thing with a remote!

I really didn't want to get into the whole htpc thing, as alot of people seem to have alot of trouble - getting the video card/drivers to match the dvd software and sound card/drivers/spdif out, then with IR man/girder, the unending ati driver updates, and still the possibility of it crashing halfway through a movie. I've read quite a few posts of guys who have just had enough - instead of just enjoying the movie they are at the stage that when watching a movie they are constantly on the edge of their seats waiting to see if it their pc will crash or not. I quite like the idea of an all in one solution for the pc, video/spdif/dvd software all in one and as it was all tested and developed togther there would be much less of a chance of it crashing than a solution from several different companies.

As my pj is max 800x600 I don't need something driving a 1280x1024 solution, I tried a tosh sd510 and its progressive scan on ntsc was really good, its picture quality was good and it was only alittle fuzzier that the pc which at the time was the gf3, good single frame images but you wouldn't watch a movie with it due to the bad panning. But the sd 510 wouldn't do progressive for pal and when watching interlaced component it gave me eye ache due to the flicker on screen (my pj sanyo plv30 clone dosn't do de-interlacing well).

So i went looking for something that would do both pal+ntsc progessive if the sd510 did prog pal then I would be satisfied with that. But alas decent pal prog scan players for a reasonable price are a bit like hens teeth at the moment and although their is tons of buzz regarding the 963sa being released with pal prog scan no-one can really be sure at this time as ati and xcard have both had their progressive modes via component capped at 480p, so how the heck are they going to be allowed to do pal progressive at 625p??? That is without expensive importing from hk.

I would buy one in a shot if it was under £350 and was multi-region and had prog scan for both ntsc+pal and no other nasties that current pal prog players have. It would also be nice to have a child/wife friendly solution.

Here's hoping :p

11. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi again, I dont think most of the problems are with Divx5 they seem to be either XP or (like myself) if you have an XCard and a capture card as versatile as the Radeon All-in-wonder all in the same PC as they seem to fight eachother over the Mpeg display causing conflicts.
    I think Sigma released there codec to stop people getting into trouble with the setup of Divx and moaning that the XCard didnt work.
    I must admit i have got fed up with the HCPC experience constantly downloading drivers/patches, reformating,and conflicts i just wish the All-in-wonder had a decent TV out, but its rubbish and it upsets my LCD display. im waiting to buy a DVD player that decodes MPeg4 and every other codec come to that.
    I can dream

12. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lazysod
    where did you get your card and for how much?

13. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  14. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have the Tosh 32ZD26P and am looking for a cheep way to get progressive scan DVDs. I like the sound of the Sigma Designs Real Magic Xcard so can I ask a few questions?

1- Have you used it in connection with your Tosh?

2- If yes to the above does it support both NTSC and PAL Prg Scan?

3- Does the card come with all the nessasry cables for connection? eg vga - 3 phono component?

4- Is there a real improvement in picture quality?

Hope you can answer these - Many thanks

Paul

15. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lazysod,

does your hollywood+ and I would reckon the xcard output full 24bit colour for dvd's via the vga@800x600?

just wondering if I could improve on the image from my mpact2 at 720x480x18-bit colour(I think), according to those who have tested both the mpact2 has a slightly better image but how can that be if its only outputting 18bit?

The mpact2 just hasnt got enough processing power to do 24bit at 800x600, or even 720x480 as I reckon thats why it defaults to a 18bit image, just wondering if the hw+ or xcard can do the above @24 bits with no tearing.

go on lazysod chuck it back in :D :D :D
    regards
    j

16. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whould you be interested in parting with your X-Card? If so how much??

Paul

17. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi ,
    answers
    1 I tried to use it on theTosh but i just couldnt get the thing to work in the PC
    2 It says it does in the manual but also states on the web site that the Pal has been capped to keep within the guidelines
    3 All cables needed are supplied as is a remote
    4 The Picture is a little better than my Marantz DV7000 which cost me £600
    5 Full 24/10 video processing Xcard and Hollywood+ 24 bit Rgb Dac and 10 bit YUV Dac TV output
    6 Go to www.utobia.com they make a Realmagic Hollywood+ but its half the price and you can get it from www.aria.co.uk
    7 I think i should really build another HCPC just for the XCard ,what do you think?

18. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So you cannot confirm that the Tosh will accept a prog scan source? :(

No sell it to me :D

Paul

19. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There is a program that allows you to play divx (and other avi's) on your hollywood plus card, its called 'divx plus', you can download it from doom 9:
    http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Players/divxplus.exe
    I've never tried it because i don't have a hollywood plus card, but i'd like to know how well it works (I'm sure there's plenty of people with second hand H+ cards to sell out there...)

20. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, I have tried this program and that doesnt work either as most people have found out. Many think it was a leaked prog from Sigma to see how the XCard drivers would work

21. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi lazysod,
    Could you clarify the below:

1 I tried to use it on theTosh but i just couldnt get the thing to work in the PC
    -- it wasnt that your tosh wasn't getting the correct pal component signal, you just couldn't get it working at all in the pc??

2 It says it does in the manual but also states on the web site that the Pal has been capped to keep within the guidelines
    --for dvd only, ie mp4 your movies and your set

4 The Picture is a little better than my Marantz DV7000 which cost me £600
    --can you explain further - via svid or progressive component??

7 I think i should really build another HCPC just for the XCard ,what do you think?
    -- absolutely :D :D

j

22. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    1 The tosh is OK the Xcard just wouldnt work ,it kept crashing or there was no sound. My HCPC is mainly used as a PVR watching DVD,s comes second so nothing can interfere with the workings of my All-in-wonder which the Xcard did.
    2 It says on the web site that progressive output has been capped to 480p for DVD
    3 The Marantz only has RGB out, it doesnt have prog out
    So far i have found nothing that comes close to the All-in-wonder for recording, it is so versatile, you can choose any Codec unlike the Matrox or Hauppage.

23. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi lazysod
    Oh well thats that then! The big / only reason I would go for something like this is stability of a all-in-one hardware solution over the various software solutions people are using.

If it ain't reliable then you might as well chuck it.

What I was meaning is that you could if you had a high def display that can handle 720p, you could rip your dvd's to divx and it would play them via component.

RGB basically is interlaced component out and it looks your TV might do a good job of de-interlacing, thats why you would only get a marginal improvement with interlaced component.

24. lazysod

lazysod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    NEWS FLASH
    Hi, i,m taking the Xcard into work with me to let a colleague put it into his PC, he runs a GForce card and he will let me know how good it is (if it works OK for him). Ill supply him with some Divx recordings .