1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xCapture & VirtualDub not capturing !

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1138, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just started capturing from Sky+ box using VirtualDub and xCapture card, but VirtualDub only seems to allow me to use the standard [354 (?) x 288].
    With xCapture card it won't even show the other listed (or any custom) formats on screen - let alone capture them.
    (am now using YUY2 (have also tried RGB24), direct to DivX (also used PICVideo and then conv to DivX after) with 48kHz audio by optical to TERRATEC Aureon 5.1 fun card).

Also just tried the AVI_IO programme... and with xCapture card I get same prob as with VDub (can only capture at 354x288).

Whereas my other capture card (TERRATEC Cinergy 400, Philips chip) with VirtualDub WILL display other formats on screen - but then is also not able to capture them.
    With TERRATEC's software + card I CAN capture in other formats - but then I get juddery captures !

WHY won't VirtualDub allow me to use other formats supposedly suppoerted by the card. Do I have smthg not set right in VirtualDub ?

Just don't seem to be able to get any of the other formats listed in the xCapture booklet.

for reference (VDub + xCapt. in 354x288 / YUY2... CPU max = 30% with no dropped frames)
    PC = P4 1800 + ASUS P4T-E MoBo + 512 MB 800 RIMM + XP-home + MAXTOR 7200rpm

Steve

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Steve,
    I think it's because VirtualDub can only work with VFW capture drivers and these new conexant based cards (xcapture, msi tv@nywhere) only come with the newer type WDM DirectShow capture drivers.

There is a "Microsoft VFW wrapper for WDM capture" capture driver, but this is apparently buggy and only seems to support a max of 352x576 resolution. I cannot capture anything in VirtualDub without dropped frames as it only manages about 12fps. I tried Huffyuv2.1, DivX 5 and MJPEG compression codecs. I tried RGB 555 and YUY2 capture formats.

On the same hardware using the IDS Falcon, I can capture 768x576 YUY2 with no dropped frames.

Reference: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50505&highlight=virtualdub+wdm

I had best results with the AMCAP free capture app that I got with the BT878 opensource WDM drivers. See wdmmiscutils2.7.0.zip under Download at http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

regards,
    Rob.

3. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks 4 that.
    The wrapper sounds familiar now... think I saw smthg about it in my early research.. but it didn't register at the time.

So - does this mean that I DO NEED to get a Bt / Conxnt 8x8 / 8x9 based card afterall ? (in order to have best compatibility with software and capture formats ?)

(after having now bought two cards which DON'T have that chip ?!!)

(this would also 'smooth the way' into using dScaler too)

thx
    Steve

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, the driver does only apply to older vt878 card, but you don't need that!

What you need is the capture utility under Download, specifically: http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/Files/wdmmiscutils2.70.zip within this you will find amcap.exe This is a freeware WDM capture app which worked the best with the MSI tv@nywhere (same chipset as Xcapture) for me.

I was never totally happy with the capture quality anyway, I think it is poor drivers for the newer connexant chip. They may have been improved since, but I tried the first 3 driver releases.

I now only use my TV@nywhere with Dscaler for viewing Xbox and Playstation2. It works beautifully with the recent DScaler alpha releases for on-screen viewing, but doesn't capture. Dscaler apparently doesn't use the capture drivers anyway.

My solution 6 months ago was to buy a secondhand Pinnacle Miro Video dc30 semi-pro card off Ebay for about £80. This is an older card and so comes with VFW drivers (only for Win9x) and so works with VirtualDub and is really clean.

If I were in your shoes now and wanting to use VirtualDub...

You might like to consider a Philips SAA<mumble> based card that Jeff recommends, I THINK this MAY have VFW (VirtualDub) support, but I'm not sure. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67299&highlight=SAA7310 for how to get one for only £40 from pc world.

Jeff, can you confirm if VirtualDub capture is the case?

Other than that, how about making mey an offer for my IDS Falcon that I don't use now I'm using the dc30! It about the cleanest bt878 card and works great with VirtualDub at up-to 768x576.

regards,
    Rob.

5. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at Jeff's recommendation of the PC-WORLD card (SAA7130) and then found that my OTHER card -
    TERRATEC Cinergy 400 - has the related Philips SAA7134 chip.
    See
    http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/SAA7130.html (PC-World card) and
    http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/SAA7134.html (TERRATEC card)

It has slightly different layout to the PC-World card, but the chipset is of same family.
    Dscaler alpha auto-recognised both the xCapture AND the TERRATEC SAA7134 cards... (Properties in Dscaler shows it as SAA 713x which makes me confident it'll work OK... (in similar fashion to the way the BT / Con chips are described generically as 8x8 )
    so I'm part way there..

Rob - I think the AMCAP utility came with my xCapture card on the install CD... so I already had it and so far hadn't succeeded in getting that to work either !
    you suggest the Philips card might work with VirtualDub
    So far - I had no luck with that either.

(thx for the offer on the FALCON... lets' see how this weekend goes first !..)

Anyone !! any luck using VirtualDub with the PC-World card at capture resolutions gtrr than 352 x 288 ??

Steve

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Just got back from holiday, so sorry for the delay in replying. I gave up on the idea of PC based PVR a long time ago, for the few things I need to record Sky + meets my requirements perfectly. Since I only use DScaler I don't even have any drivers Installed, this strategy has served me well as DScaler has always been rock solid for me, even with early alpha releases. It also means that I don't need to worry about sound support as it is sent directly to the receiver via the digiboxes toslink output.

I did some searching around and I did come across this http://www.shdon.com/view.php?doc=vcfaq

Hope this helps.

Jeff

7. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this, but I have Xcapture working OK with Amcap, as supplied on the Xcapture CD-ROM. I am capturing 720x576 YUY2 @25fps (with 0 dropped frames) and 48 KHz audio from NTL cable via JS box. Quality is fine. I can then play the .avi back through DScaler without any problem except for delay (which I have yet to resolve just when viewing, too). Playback in Zoom Player gives perfect picture/sound sync.

I hadn't realised that I can't PVR and view simultaneously - presumably I would need a dual channel card or a second one to do this.

The only snag, is that once DScaler has been started, even when it's subsequently closed down, I cannot preview or capture in Amcap again without rebooting. Not sure why this is. Anyone have any idea?

Also when Amcap is closed down it returns to default settings and has to be set up all over again. Maybe this can be tweaked in the Registry settings though.

I tried with Virtual Dub and although I got all the available capture size/format options on screen I couldn't actually select any of them (Clicking OK didn't do anything) and had to cancel and abort. It does seem to be a driver issue, but maybe this will be resolved in future releases.