1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xcapture problem... have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gyre, Oct 4, 2003.

1. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just treated myself to an xcapture card, but have a problem which I wondered whether you good folks have seen in your travels.

The top 50 or so lines periodically flicker/flash and/or warp slightly.

This is visible when using dscaler... I don't get a nice sharp right border to the picture... it blurs.

[​IMG]

Similar to the picture you might get on a TV with a TV aerial while moving it around a bit.

The same input source doesn't do this on my TV-100 capture card.

The input is a sky digibox piped into a good quality rb2svideo converter.

Do I have a duff card, or can you think or other things that might help me debug this?

Thanks!!!

-- gyre --

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Hmm I have periodically seen this but put it down to sloppy transmission and using no overscan. I thought it was some sort of overshoot phenomenon.

I've got a tv100 and xcapture in the same machine and I've seen it to the same extent on both through a gondigital box. Consoles and a stand alone dvd player ( for calibration purposes) never show this.

To be honest since upgarding my svideo cable ( I too use an RGB to svideo convertor) I don't recall seeing it.

However these days I tend to use a digitv card for TV htpc purposes with the capture card ( I don't use the tv 100 prefere the xcapture) being relegated console duties and viewing when recording with the digitv...oh for Dscaler deinterlacing quality with the digiTV!

3. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith. Thanks for replying to my thread. Hell, you are usually the only one who does :)

I also have a TV100 + xcapture in the same pc. I'm beginning to wonder whether they interfere in some way. Might experiment later.

I have a cheap svideo cable... SCART->svideo+2audio. Prolly cost about 6 quid from maplins. Can you recommend a better one?

Thx!

-- gyre --

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Difficult to say . A cable swap would be th easiest thing to try but itf you have another RGB source handy I'd try that and see if you get the same result.

I kinda suspect its a source issue rather than anything else.

5. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have. I'll try the standalone DVD player downstairs.

:)

-- gyre --

6. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On an unrelated note... that sure is a nice picture from an S-Video source. Can you switch between 16:9 and 4:3 images with Dscaler? Can you use a remote control to do this? I'm beginning to rethink my decision to stick with a RGB to VGA plasma converter :)

If I did 1:1 pixel mapping on my Pioneer via DVI, the actual aspect ratio controls no longer function - it would have to be done via the PC.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Yes you can switch aspect ratios with Dscaler although it has some automatic detection facilities its only semi-reliable and even then its more to do with zooming letterboxed 4x3 than switching between 4x3 and 16x9. Manual switching works fine though and I'm sure you could use a remote in conjunction with girder.

I did a bit of Dscaler watching last night as i was recording on the digiTV card and it is very impressive with the xcapture card given that its an analogue source : but the Dscaler deinterlacing is streets ahead of the digitv.

I must add that the picture from my Xcapture was very clean last night ...no sign of the rollover phenomenon .