1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xcapture coming soon to the UK

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by surrey lad, Jan 16, 2003.

1. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Guys,

After reading so much interest in the Xcapture card over on AVS as well as a handful of guys on this side of the pond, I thought to myself, there must be someway of buying this card in the UK, and avoiding the excessive charge of $120 inc card and P&P+ import duties/taxes.
    Xcapture sells in the States for a very reasonable $39.

With a little bit of help from some friends ;) I think we've cracked it.:D

If your interested, all the details are in this other thread here is the link. Read post#22ish.

Please note that this is in no way a powerbuy, :) I'm just passing on the word to all you Dscalers:D

Have Fun

surrey lad;)

2. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Let us know how u get on with this card Surrey Lad.

Steve.

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Surrey Lad....

Which dealer did you end up contacting?... I did the early searching with prolink and it now looks like my Holograph may be delayed.. so what the hell.... at £50ish its worth it, even for the comparison... Glad to help...

Let us all know how you are getting on with it, I am particularly interested in reducing the electrical noise, even with an Enermax and sharpening up the picture... my Pinnacle is very soft through my 808...

Cheers
    Paul.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The Xcapture card is very good, the only problem with mine is chroma delay/shift. I'm not sure if this affects all Xcapture cards or not. John Adcock is working on a filter that might be of help. For my limited viewing of Sky on my 1209s I was happy to swap an H3D card with the xcapture, there wasn't a lot in it in terms on PQ.

5. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Guys, :kisses:

Above should be all the information you need!!

Just e-mail him, showing your interest in the card and ask him for a price inc. P&P (indicate what area you live in), thats what I did.

Within a few hours, he sent me a message with the price and method of payment, easy. :D

surrey lad;)

6. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jeff, I have been looking for a direct comparison....

forgetting the fact (gulp!) that the xcapture is a 10th of the price of a holograph ->
    - I could use the component for my Xbox; holo3dgraph only
    - S-video from laserdisk, video, playstation2 etc - both
    - I dont really need the SDI; so either ok.
    and I am happy with Theatertech for DVD...
    so maybe I could get away with the Xcapture...

As a comparison, I have a Pinnacle PCTVRave and it is poor... very soft, electrically noisy etc... I assume we are talking about them being both being significantly better than the rave..

I may just go and order it anyway... or is it anther £50 down the toilet as I strive for the very besy...

Cheers
    Paul

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The XCapture card is better than the best bt8x8 based cards.

8. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for your time... thats good enough for me to decide..

Cheers
    Paul

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paublo

Re Electrical noise,

This is often an overlooked reason why the various capture cards fail to perform properly, treat yourself to that Enermax and consider the supply and what can be done to clean it up, whether its an independant spur or mains conditioning products.

Jeff,

Any chance of pointing us in the direction of where I can get the beta of Dscaler that is Xcard compatible as my card should arrive next week:)

Cheers

10. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi John,

I use an Enermax... it is still noisy, comparing it to a Falcon it doesnt cut it, the Holograph should be like an external quality scaler..... dont get me wrong.. it does an awfull lot for £30 ish... its just that things have moved on... But can I justify £600-700 for doing the same job... I thought I had... but.....

Xcapture will be on order next week, even if only to do a comparison and decide if I "need" a Holo3dgraph...

Thanks
    Paul.

11. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cheers for the link, I take it 4.13 is the latest version then, thats what I'm runnung already, hadn't realised that this was the one with Xcard support.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well i'm running with a falcon and 4.11 and still see room for improvement 'll order an xcapture tomorrow.

Main problem is the diagonal interfernce I get on the falcon but this may well be a mains issue. For another 50quid I'm willing to try the xcapture. Any additional sharpness would be beneficial too though.

At this rate I'll have enough spare components for another machine...er actually make that two!

John I just found your cheque for that pinnacle PCTV the other day if you notice it going through your accoutn ( trust me I've had way too much on my plate recently).

Also downloaded 4.13beta so I'll give that a go with the falcon for a bit .

14. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Keith,

I beleive that your problem is definitley a mains problem as the Rave card has shown no signs of diagonal banding in my setup but I do have an independent spur for my av stuff.

No worries, thought I hadn't seen you about much recently.

Regards

15. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the link paublo.

Now downloaded and ready to install:D

Hi John, I was wondering when you were going to turn up again!!

Re: Electrical noise.

You've mentioned this a couple of times now. Must be a serious consideration then. :rolleyes:
    The option of installing a dedicated spur for av use in my current property is not a practical one :( , don't get me wrong I totally understand the reasons and advantages. In my Hi-Fi madness days:eek: , I had 2 spurs, one for source equipment and the other for my Plinius amp set up. But since then I've moved and it would be a major job to do this now.

As a compromise, can you recommend any filtering system for the mains supply that you've actually experienced working.

I've already got an Enermax psu, ready for, if I ever get it, my Dign, won't fit in my current case.
    Are there any other surggestions for reducing noise?

surrey lad;)

16. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Surrey Lad,

To be honest I havent much expereince with mains filtering equipment, most of my knowledge is from reading and listening to those more knowledgeable than myself.

A couple of years ago Jeff first talked about the importance of a descent PSU, with particular reference to video capture noise, this and Mr D having had lots of trouble with diagonal herringboning on Sky using a Pinnacle Rave (which I now have and dont have any problems with), that coupled with the virtues of a clean supply that have always been touted in HiFi circles.

The virtues of RA products have often been discused around here, his website is worth a read
    http://www.russandrews.com/home.html , this and a more balanced veiw by doing a search here should turn up some useful reading.

It was for me too, I moved a few months back and the av/hifi installation was a massive amount of work but worth it, its not a dedicated room but all nice and descrete in the lounge (If you can call front and rear floorstanders descrete:D ) I acnt say I've done any comparisons between the clean supply spur and the rest of the house but I've no complaints.:)

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    yep I think I'll be investing in a few RA bits and bobs. I've tried additionally earthing the HTPC case and the ondigital box.
    I was recalibrating Dscaler last night ( moved to 4.13 beta) and although the image from the dvd player used for calibration purposes was a might cleaner it still had very faint herringbone ( mainly on strong yellows and oranges and cyans).

It does seem to get better late at night ( with everything else in the house switched off) but it can vary from obvious and static to rolling and intermittent.

I use two cheapoid 4ways that claim to have RF suppression.
    I ll be turning the study into a home entertainment room this years so as I'll need to run some cabling anyway I'll get the mains checked out and modified if required.

I have to confess to preferring the dscaler image with the sharpness filter engaged but it pops up the herring bone a little to much to be of any use at the moment.

18. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys

The xcapture is a great card, it's what I'm using now and it's very nice, comparable to the holo3d on svideo.

Just thought I'd better say that the version 4.1.3/4.1.4 is very buggy and has some crashing and settings problems. A much improved and safer version will be out soon later this week.

John

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Great news John. Must say 4.13 has been just fine on mine so far but all the machine does is run TT and Dscaler...oh and Serene Screen when I like to convince my neighbours across the street that I've got a 9ft tropical aquarium!

I'll definitely be swapping my falcon for an xcapture soon.

20. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Looking forward to the next version of Dscaler.

Got my Xcapture card for £28.76 delivered :D (bought 'used' from that forum that charges to see the adverts)

Think I will wait a week for the next Dscaler version before installing, I would hate to mess up the HTPC now it runs so well.

Here is a picture of the chip on the Xcapture card, looks nicer than one of those old fashioned BT878 jobbies :)

[​IMG]

Mark.

21. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hey:) thats what we all wanted to hear, much better idea than spending £800 on the H3D just for Sky.:D

As a relative newcomer to Dscaler I'd like to add my thanks John.:cool:

22. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the update JohnAD:kisses: can't wait. I won't bother installing the version I downloaded last night.

John Spicer, can't believe you, trying to encourage me, you know, back to days of extreme madness. :eek:

Wife caught me at it last night, "what on earth are you doing, tapping on the walls like that and whats wrong with the carpet in the hallway, why is it lifted. What on earth are you looking for?" :(

Anyone ever built a battery power pack psu :D

STOP It's happening to me all over again:eek:

Better go back to bed, before the wife wakes up!!!

Opps, I can hear hear her coming.

surrey lad;)

23. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Surrey Lad

You know you want too:devil:

24. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Johnad, top stuff..

How many people were considering the Holo3dgraph, I must admit to it and yes I was only going to use it for S-video and maybe Xbox....

So how many people are in possession of the xcapture then ???

Mine will be on order tomorrow....

Cheers
    Paul.

25. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    just ordered an xcapture and a silencer: when my home cinema moves I'll get a chance to investigate the mains.

Can't justify an H3D for DTV and consoles.

26. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Puablo,

I also was considering this card, rather than use s-video, I was looking into the possibility of using an RGB from digibox into a RGB to component converter (the type found at digital connections in the US) and then into the H3d.

In the US, loads. In the UK, probably only a handful.
    Do remember that the first official UK shipment via an authorised distributor is due this week and quite frankly was a stroke of luck. When I first spoke to Hung Symons (the distributor) last week regarding getting hold of these cards for us, they'd never heard of it.
    I sent Horsham IT (the retailer) a link to the discussions being had about this card over at AVS to hopefully secure their interest in importing this card for us.:cool:
    I'll speak to Steve at Horsham IT tomorrow and try and get some sort of idea of numbers ordered through him.

Hi Mr D.

Please let me know how you get on with the silencer. If it works, great, :D if not, looks like a dedicated spur/spurs will be on the menu of this come to this household!!! :devil:

surrey lad;)

27. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Surrey Lad...

bit of a mixed thread this one...

on the subject of mains... I have recently moved into a new house and setup an additional fusebox prior to the consumer unit and run higher quality cables in a star earth configuration to all of my kit.. We also used unswitched sockets as these also introduce problems.... all good stuff..

I have active speakers (Martin Logans), so I also ran it all round the room.. so it would much easier if you just run it to a single equipment rack......

Cost a few £, but I treated it just like another small increment in improving my system...

Cheers
    Paul.

28. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi puablo,

Spoke to Steve at Horsham IT, he confirmed to me that there has been a considerable amount of interest it this card, but to date only five actual orders have been placed with him. He seemed quite happy with the response so far.

For those of us who took the plunge, I've been informed by Steve that the cards are due towards the end of this week and once our cheques have cleared he'll send them out to us.:D

surrey lad;)

29. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my cheque is officially in the post, so that will be six..

I find it amazing how much chat actually turns in to orders... Holograph cards at around £600 would need a minimum order of around 25-30 to make importing any sense...

For info.. the total value of the order for my xcapture , inclusive of postage was £50...

I didnt post yesterday due to my urgent requirement to finish HALO... completed.. another objective in life fulfilled... ;)

30. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've ordered one too along with a silencer from russ andrews.
    I have actually now tracked down the source of the herringbone and it is (drumroll).... the rgb to s-video convertor!

So now its either get a new better one ( the original is fine for normal TV use it only becomes a evident with the projector). Or get everything going as s-video in the first place : would mean getting new cables for the consoles and a new freeview box.

pantolas!