Xbox360 won't play DVDs to new 4K UHD TV

rolinger

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, just purchased the following Samsung 65" UN65JU6500 TV and hooked up my Xbox360 with component output to a Portta Component to HDMI converter. The Game console appears on the TV and I can play games, but it won't let me movie DVDs. (Links to all the specific devices are at the end)

When I put in a DVD movie the TV does not detect any incoming signal and says "No incoming signal, check your devices connections". I bought the Portta converter unit, it didn't work and returned it for a 2nd Portta unit and it too didn't work. I tried the Portta converters into 2 physical configurations:

A) Xbox360 -> Converter -> Onkyo TX-TN616 Receiver -> Samsung TV
B) Xbox360 -> Converter -> Samsung TV

The Onkyo Receiver is capable of 4K upscaling, is HDMI 1.4 and also supports HDMI ARC - though I am having constant problems between TV/Receiver keeping ARC working that I simply did TV Optical Audio out to the Receiver. (It works, but every time I went away from the working source the two devices would lose communication with each other that I would have to reconfig the receiver each time to rediscover the TV...it would work again, until I change the Receiver source again...and repeat.)

Again, when just powering on the Xbox360 I get a nice crisp console screen and I can play any of the games I have tried. It just won't play DVD movies.

I suspect that the issue is HDCP 2.2 but I can't tell for certain.

NOTE 1: I accidentally walked away and got distracted, when I came back into the TV room like 30min later the DVD menu audio only was playing via my surround sound (Setup A) but the screen was still black. I then moved the Portta from TV HDMI port 1 to HDMI port 2, changed the source on the TV and waa-laaa....there was the Xbox showing the movie menu with the audio playing. I then selected "Play" to watch the movie and the screen went black again saying there was no incoming signal...and the audio went away too.

NOTE 2: While leaving the xbox360 connected via the converter to TV HDMI port 2 I selected the TV source and went back to HDMI 1 to watch normal cable TV (FIOS). I noticed in the TV source selection that it was showing the movie title in the tiny thumbnail next to HDMI 2 but if I go back to Source HDMI 2 there is no signal.

NOTE 3: When connected via Setup A I go into my reciever Onkyo Setup options and navigate to the various HDMI Inputs...as I scroll through the ones that are connected IN to my receiver I see the various thumbnail video that is being passed into (like a mini-preview of that source). On the Game Input I can see a scrambled screen that (as best I can make out) is the movie DVD menu in the Xbox360.

NOTE 4: That being said, I have an older (purchased in 2012) C&E Component/VGA to HDMI converter (that is going bad, no RED color) that does play the DVDs in both Setup A and Setup B. The difference between the C&E and Portta Converters is that C&E is "HDCP" while the Portta is "HDCP v1.3"

I know, logically many will read this post and say "well duh, its the Portta". But the fact the Portta shows the Xbox360 console and plays games just fine but not the DVDs...to me...says something else is going on.

Thus in the NOTEs 1-3 scenarios there has been "something" that tells me the Xbox360 movies are getting into the receiver or directly to the TV....but nothing actually plays.

I have returned the Portta and ordered a newer version of the C&E Component to HDMI converter...the new one is not the same as it doesn't do VGA converting like the older one did. However the newer one, like the Portta, says "HDCP v1.3" - and that worries me it too won't work.

TV: 65” 4K UHD SmartTV 4K UHD PurColor| Samsung UN65JU6500FXZA
Xbox360 I have: How to Connect Your New XBOX 360 to a TV
Portta Converters that won't play DVDs: Amazon.com: Portta PETRH RCA Component RGB YPbPr to HDMI v1.3 HDCP Video Audio Converter Adapter for HDTV, DVD, PSP, Xbox 360 and Wii - Not for Windows 10: Electronics
Older, going bad, C&E Component/VGA converter that will play DVDs: Amazon.com: C&E CNE50145 Component Video-YPbPr /VGA to HDMI Converter with Auto Up-Scale: Electronics
Newer C&E Component converter I am ordering today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EA7ZUA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have you tried component video straight from the XBox to the Tv?
BTW this is a UK-based forum.

Hmmm...sorry. Didn't realize this was a UK forum. But on a side note, I grabbed my old 2007 LCD TV and hooked it up in place on the new 4K TV to see how the Portta converter performed. I replicated both Setup A and B mentioned above...in both Setups the Portta showed the Console and a game playing just fine, but with a movie it the TV lost the signal. Thus...its def the Portta.

It must be an issue with Portta's HDCP...it specs says it HDCP compliant but obviously it is not. Tested two Portta converters...on two TVs...in two different Setups each...and got the same results. Games will play...but not DVD movies.

Hopefully the newer C&E Converter won't have this issue.

Hmmm...sorry. Didn't realize this was a UK forum. But on a side note, I grabbed my old 2007 LCD TV and hooked it up in place on the new 4K TV to see how the Portta converter performed. I replicated both Setup A and B mentioned above...in both Setups the Portta showed the Console and a game playing just fine, but with a movie it the TV lost the signal. Thus...its def the Portta.

It must be an issue with Portta's HDCP...it specs says it HDCP compliant but obviously it is not. Tested two Portta converters...on two TVs...in two different Setups each...and got the same results. Games will play...but not DVD movies.

Hopefully the newer C&E Converter won't have this issue.

Totally off topic, reminds me of a well known quotation, We are divided by a common language :)

Your post reminded me of the following item familiar in the UK to campers and caravanners.

Portable toilets - The original Porta Potti | Thetford

Merry Christmas, our will be a little earlier than yours :D

Rolinger; have you tried the US based AVS forum ?

Graham.

Does the Xbox not have an HDMI output??

I would imagine that the problem has more to do with analogue copy protection upsetting the converter than HDCP - or the Xbox is switching to 480i or some other strange resolution the converter cannot lock onto.

Does the Xbox not have an HDMI output??

I would imagine that the problem has more to do with analogue copy protection upsetting the converter than HDCP - or the Xbox is switching to 480i or some other strange resolution the converter cannot lock onto.

A US DVD will be 480i/480p at 29.97fps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom