XBOX360 VGA Problem

mossym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, posted this over in the projector forum, thinking it was a problem with my projector, but one of the replies says the xbox360 may be the culprit, so looking for help over here.

have a strange problem with my ax100. If i connect up my xbox360 via vga, the image is offset way over to the left of the screen. i end up with a large black border on the right. I can fix this using the horizontal position adjustment in the projector menu, but i need to put it all the way to +64 to get it centered. Any idea what could be causing this? image is perfect apart from this, xbox is connected to the ax100 through a 10m vga cable.

Hi, posted this over in the projector forum, thinking it was a problem with my projector, but one of the replies says the xbox360 may be the culprit, so looking for help over here.

have a strange problem with my ax100. If i connect up my xbox360 via vga, the image is offset way over to the left of the screen. i end up with a large black border on the right. I can fix this using the horizontal position adjustment in the projector menu, but i need to put it all the way to +64 to get it centered. Any idea what could be causing this? image is perfect apart from this, xbox is connected to the ax100 through a 10m vga cable.

I'm pretty sure when I used the VGA cable on my monitor the image was set to the left... I had to sort it out with the monitors settings to get it even.

Haven't got a clue why it would do this though, as I would have thought it would centre the image on default.

My XBox 360 was also very off-centre with VGA on my Rear-Pro set, a quick auto-adjust sorted it out though.

strange, i thought the timing information on it would have been standard. i switched to component last night because of this. don't use my xbox for upscaling sd dvds anyway so not much difference, will still get games at 1080p and hddvd at 1080i. can't get my ax100 to accept 1080p over vga from the 360 anyway.

I had the same problem with my LCD TV but fixed it using an auto adjust setting. What bugs me now is that when I'm watching movies through VGA (both SD and HD movies) the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are bigger but when I switch over to component the black bars return to the same size as if I was using my upscaling DVD player but with an inferior picture (on my TV anyway).

I assume there's no way of changing this through the xbox settings? I know that the xbox will display the picture slightly smaller through VGA than through component or HDMI but I didn't think it would make this much difference.

sddvd over component on the 360 is limited to 480p, no upscaling,this could be what you are seeing re quality

You are getting overscan over Component; this means that it is chopping off part of the black borders top and bottom (making them appear smaller) as well as part of the sides of the picture.
Whereas with VGA you are getting the full picture, black bars and all.

mossym said:
sddvd over component on the 360 is limited to 480p, no upscaling,this could be what you are seeing re quality

Sorry I worded it incorrectly - I was comparing the picture quality of HD DVD on the xbox (using Transformers as my test subject) which on my Samsung TV looks better over VGA than component. My own opinion of course!

rEVILospud said:
You are getting overscan over Component; this means that it is chopping off part of the black borders top and bottom (making them appear smaller) as well as part of the sides of the picture.
Whereas with VGA you are getting the full picture, black bars and all.

Thanks, I didn't know that. At least I am now watching all of the movie!

I think VGA is 720p only... Anything higher is just upscaled... (I think?)

You can choose upto 1920x1080 with VGA which is 1080p, most 360 games will be upscaled but HD-DVD's will shown at their native res.

I hit this problem with my AE900 PJ, sorted it through the adjustment options.

Not too happy about it not working correctly straight out of the box, but the image looks pretty good once I tweaked.

have switched back to the component cables now, not seeing much difference to be honest. 110" screen should show up any difference in detail but i'm not seeing any...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom