• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox360 - VGA / Component Video - Which is best?

Nick_T

Standard Member
I have a Panny PWD7 and have an Xbox360 (Premium) on pre-order.

My question is which video connector will give me the best picture?

I am guessing that the Component video cable will give the best picture using 720p resolution (although 1080i will work on the PWD7 as well, I will have to play with the settings to see which resolution looks the best).

Or am I wrong and the VGA cable will actually give me a better picture set at 1280 x 720?

Cheers!

Nick

zedzed

Established Member
Nick_T said:
I have a Panny PWD7 and have an Xbox360 (Premium) on pre-order.
My question is which video connector will give me the best picture?
I am guessing that the Component video cable will give the best picture using 720p resolution (although 1080i will work on the PWD7 as well, I will have to play with the settings to see which resolution looks the best).
Or am I wrong and the VGA cable will actually give me a better picture set at 1280 x 720?
Cheers!
Nick

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but the VGA input on the PW7 won't take such high quality signals. Component is the only way to go.

ZedZed

Nick_T

Standard Member
zedzed said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but the VGA input on the PW7 won't take such high quality signals. Component is the only way to go.

ZedZed

How is it then that I connect my PC to the VGA input of the PWD7 at a resolution of 1280 x 720 in 60Hz (and 50Hz)? I have even gone much higher resolution than that but it doen't make things look better if I do that, just harder to read. It even states in the manual that it supports a whole range of different resolutions going all the way up to some stupidly high res!

For example I play Half-Life 2 on my PC connected to the Plasma via VGA cable in a res of 1280 x 720 and it looks excellent. I have been considering getting a DVI board for the PWD7 to increase the quality of the signal coming from my PC (it has dual DVI outputs) but this is for another thread...

Can I ask why you think the PWD7 will not accept this input over VGA?

Cheers,

Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom