XBOX360 VGA cable question.

Canoehq

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatey, due to limited connection options available, I can't use a component cable.

So, does anyone know if the XBOX360 HD VGA cable can carry a YPrPb (Component) signal and can the XBOX360 output component via VGA ?

Thanks

Yes it does, my LCD TV can only accept component via a VGA port and my 360 works fine on it

dso said:
Yes it does, my LCD TV can only accept component via a VGA port and my 360 works fine on it

Thanks, that's great to know.

But are you certain that your XBOX360 isn't just chucking out an RGB signal via VGA and then RGB into the VGA input of your LCD.....which would also give you a great pic (I think !) ? So how can you tell it's YPrPb and not RGB ? Is it right that your LCD VGA input can only accept component and not RGB ?

Sorry for the extra questions and thanks again for the help !

Bumpy !

As far as I am aware you cant go HD with RGB so it must be using component.

Is there any difference in quality when using a VGA cable and a direct component connection?

I am just running my Plasma in, i tried it first with component running at 720p and the picture was stunning, i am now trying it out with a VGA which also looks stunning, but i think the picture may have looked better with component, i can also notice a "tiny" bit of jerkiness when viewing VGA.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

it is your call. I dont think that vga or component are "technically" better than the other.

The difference is that you can upscale DVD via vga (usefull if you dont have a DVD player that does it)

From a picture quality, if you do a search on the forum you will find that it depends :) some people prefer vga other component. It is a personal opinion.

If you can try both, use the one you prefer:rotfl:

Just compared the 2 connections on my Panasonix PX60 and component has a far superior picture.

skirpydoink said:
Is there any difference in quality when using a VGA cable and a direct component connection?

I am just running my Plasma in, i tried it first with component running at 720p and the picture was stunning, i am now trying it out with a VGA which also looks stunning, but i think the picture may have looked better with component, i can also notice a "tiny" bit of jerkiness when viewing VGA.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!
jerking in VGA i noticed myself ,i think it might be the vga not supporting 60htz and some games only run at 60 or something like that.iv got both vga and component and prefer component although with vga my screen gives me 1to1 pixel mapping out the 360 on to the screen.cant tell the difference to be honest.

I prefer the picture when using an official VGA cable on my Samsung 40R7 compared to an official component cable.
Also I run 60hz games and demo's just fine with my VGA cable, you just have to make sure your console is set to PAL60 and not PAL50.

the klang said:
jerking in VGA i noticed myself ,i think it might be the vga not supporting 60htz and some games only run at 60 or something like that.iv got both vga and component and prefer component although with vga my screen gives me 1to1 pixel mapping out the 360 on to the screen.cant tell the difference to be honest.
I think its the other way round with the VGA cable not supporting 50hz which is why alot of original XBox games dont work through VGA.

I've just got a chepie vga cable off ebay (£4.99 inc postage) and i've noticed that the main screen is a fair bit softer than through component but the games are razor sharp with no tearing or jerkiness. The added plus point being is that i've just put in my DVD of Batman Begins and whereas component was outputting at 576i it is now showing in 720p through VGA.
:thumbsup:

i've been using the vga cable for the last couple of weeks to see what difference was between component cable and have just put component
back in and component connection wins hands down--colours look a bit washed
out on vga---but i suppose its your eyes nobody elses

using panny 42in pv500 by the way

The big difference between the two is that the vga cable can only support resolutions of up to 1366x768 on most sets. Your television may support 1080i through hdmi or component but for some reason with most sets, and the xbox 360, they neglect to add support for resolutions greater than 1366x768. RTFM because thats the sad truth it tells, :mad:

dso said:

thats because your tv has a dual purpose VGA socket, but most LCD's dont that have separate component inputs.

VGA is still 'HD' if it displays at least 720 vertical lines. 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x768 etc are all hi-def resolutions as far as i know.

I needed to free up the component connection on my Panasonic PW7 plasma screen, so I bought a 360 VGA cable and removed the component lead.

The result... VGA is ok, but component from the 360 is better.
When both are set to 1280 X 720, the component cable is sharper with VGA looking a tiny bit blury by comparison.

It's still fine for me though, my priorty isn't gaming so I was happy to free up the
component connection for my freeview box.

i bought a vga cable and sold it again within 2 days...

on my projector (sanyo z2 for those interested) the vga was slightly sharper but had the effect of making literally every game tear like crazy, and this was at the same 720p as the component cable.

as for the upscaling dvd feature, can't say i noticed much difference!! :eek: it was outputting at 720p but looked the same as my dvd player pumping out at 480p! (90" screen)

i can honestly say my eyes aren't broken, less than impressed. as i'm sure someone has mentioned already, it depends purely on your screen and on mine it was rubbish.

Jules said:
I needed to free up the component connection on my Panasonic PW7 plasma screen, so I bought a 360 VGA cable and removed the component lead.

The result... VGA is ok, but component from the 360 is better.
When both are set to 1280 X 720, the component cable is sharper with VGA looking a tiny bit blury by comparison.

Funny, I find the exact opposite on my LCD, I also bought the VGA to free up a component in(I have 2 but they're used by the PS2 & Gamecube). On my Dell W2600 the VGA gives a noticably sharper picture, switching back to component makes text looks just slightly blured(hadn't noticed it before using VGA).

As Crisp Rapper(great name BTW) mentions though, clearly depends what set you are using. I use component for my Sanyo Z1 purely as I have a 15 metre component cable I join it to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom