• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox360 Recording To DVD?

boingboing

Established Member
I was just wondering if it was possible to record the 360 footage to DVD? Reason for this is myself and a friend of mine have some cracking PES6 games with some superb goals and would like to know how to capture the footage. I've noticed on UTube that there is footage on there and people use 'Fraps' How?

Anyway I have a Lite-On DVD recorder and use the component leads into the back of my Panny PX60, would I need to put the leads into the scart (Red,White, Yellow) and put it into the back of the DVD Recorder or do they go into the front of the Recorder?

Cheers

ukkev2000

Established Member
FRAPS is a frame capture program which people use to capture sessions of their PC gaming, e.g. WOW.

I'd recommend getting the RGB SCART cable and using that to connect your 360 to the DVD recorder - but if you're skint, use the yellow composite connection. :thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I was just wondering if it was possible to record the 360 footage to DVD? Reason for this is myself and a friend of mine have some cracking PES6 games with some superb goals and would like to know how to capture the footage. I've noticed on UTube that there is footage on there and people use 'Fraps' How?

Anyway I have a Lite-On DVD recorder and use the component leads into the back of my Panny PX60, would I need to put the leads into the scart (Red,White, Yellow) and put it into the back of the DVD Recorder or do they go into the front of the Recorder?

Cheers

Connecting the Composite cable to your DVD recorder either directly or with a scart adapter will provide the same picture quality, just make sure you select the correct input and everything should be fine but the quality wont be that great.

boingboing

Established Member
The correct input on the DVD Recorder or the Xbox360?

I do have the Component inputs on the back of the DVD Recorder. Just the yellow cable? Is that to go in the front input?

Sorry for being captain thick!;)

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
The correct input on the DVD Recorder or the Xbox360?

I do have the Component inputs on the back of the DVD Recorder. Just the yellow cable? Is that to go in the front input?

Sorry for being captain thick!;)

Its very simple mate.

You take the Component Cable from the 360, plug the yellow (composite) red/white (audio) cables into the yellow/red/white inputs on your recorder, select the correct input on the recorder so you see the 360 then just record.

If thats too much for you then just use the scart adapter that came with the 360, plug the yellow/red/white cables into the adapter and plug that into one of the scart inputs on your DVD recorder.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Connecting the Composite cable to your DVD recorder either directly or with a scart adapter will provide the same picture quality, just make sure you select the correct input and everything should be fine but the quality wont be that great.

If you have the RGB SCART cable and a DVD recorder with RGB recording (which many sold in the UK do - as it is useful for Sky and Freeview set top box recording) then you will get significantly better quality results using this cable connected to the RGB input on your recorder than if you use the Composite (Yellow Phono) connection. If you just use the supplied Composite to SCART adaptor using a composite connection, there will of course be no improvement as you are still using composite.

(Composite is probably one of the worst ways of connecting any device - apart from using an aerial connection. Composite uses all sorts of horrible encoding systems and reduces the quality of the colour information hugely to squeeze it into "gaps" in the brightness information to allow it to fit down a single cable. RGB sends the red, green and blue information on separate wires, like component, so they can't interfere with each other, and all are sent at equal quality, so the colour is MUCH better)

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
That is true but how many people out there who are using Component also have the RGB Scart Cable?

If you already have it then definitely use it but if you dont then its really not worth buying just to record off some gaming sessions.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom