• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox360 & PS3 from same LAN cable?

atothej

Just a quick networking question. I've done a search, but still none the wiser!

My broadband router is downstairs at the front of the house. My 'play room' is upstairs at the back of the house. The wifi connection is virtually non existant, so I hard wired a LAN cable through the house, hiding it within coving, behind skirting boards etc... so that it isn't too obtrusive. What a horrible job too, but it means that my Xbox has got a cracking connection.

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 now, so will want to connect that to my network too, so am wondering about using a LAN splitter,sort of like this one here

Only one console will ever be connected at a time.

Will this be possible? Are there any other alternatives? I don't really want to use up another power socket if I can help it, but will if I'm forced to...

A-S

Standard Member
Hey I have never tried using a Lan Splitter but the one in your description looks like it would work but I believe you'd be limited to only using one at a time. Other ways you can do is buy purchasing a wireless extender like this
Belkin F5D7132UK - Wireless 54MBPS at PC World - Buy cheap Other Wireless Solutions - Belkin F5D7132UK - Wireless 54MBPS Range Extender
However you would still probabbly have an awful connection or everytime you could just switch the ethernets between each console.

However from the person that did the review of the product on amazon it looks like it works for £5 you can't go wrong really and it looks like it would work xD

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I'd stay well away from cable splitters unless there was absolutely no other choice. Buy yourself an ethernet switch and take the hit on another wall wart - they can be had for as little as 10 pounds - and hang it onto the end of your cable. You can then use both devices at the same time if you so wish and never have to worry about which one is plugged in/powered up at any given moment and you won't risk frying your router.

Member 373730

Hi,

A Cable splitter will be fine, as you need to use two, one at each end.

100base only uses 4 wires, so you can have 2 in a single cat5/6 run.

You can use them at the same time as well.

We also sell them

P.S : If you have male Ethernet ends already on the cable you may need a coupler to attach the male to male.

Best Regards

Chris

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
A Cable splitter will be fine, as you need to use two, one at each end.

100base only uses 4 wires, so you can have 2 in a single cat5/6 run.

You can use them at the same time as well.

We also sell them

However the point is that by the time the OP has spent money on two spliters he/she may as well do the job properly.

Member 373730

However the point is that by the time the OP has spent money on two spliters he/she may as well do the job properly.

There would be no real performance difference (everything is 100base anyway) and the original question was how to run over one cable?

Sure a Switch would be the true way to do this, but then another cable would need to be run, thus defeating the point of the original post?

Best Regards

Chris

ntm1275

but then another cable would need to be run

Why would another cable need to be run?

The existing cable would join the router and switch, and then two patch cables would join the XBox and PS3 to the switch

Splitters may work, but are always a last resort, and are normaly only used when cost is at a premium, but the difference is so minimal that surely it's best to go with the more robust option

Even though your splitters may not be, most cheap splitters/convertors tend to be of dubious built quality, and fail at regular intervals

As for the extra socket being used up, poster could use an extension lead with 4 extra sockets for £1.50 from Tesco

I'm afraid I agree with Mickevh and Beerhunter on this

Last edited:

Grimroper

I had a similar problem, though it was connecting a PS2 and a PS3 to one ethernet cable in my case.

Tried the splitter thing and it didnt work too well. Ended up buying a 5 port network switch and that has been great.

For the cost Id get a switch and be happy that I have some ports spare if I decide to add anything else (WII etc)

Member 373730

Why would another cable need to be run?

The existing cable would join the router and switch, and then two patch cables would join the XBox and PS3 to the switch

Splitters may work, but are always a last resort, and are normaly only used when cost is at a premium, but the difference is so minimal that surely it's best to go with the more robust option

Even though your splitters may not be, most cheap splitters/convertors tend to be of dubious built quality, and fail at regular intervals

As for the extra socket being used up, poster could use an extension lead with 4 extra sockets for £1.50 from Tesco

I'm afraid I agree with Mickevh and Beerhunter on this

Yes your right, only one cable would be needed (Don't know why I said 2)

We use our own splitters in here all the time with no problems, I can understand that it could cause a lot more of a headache if it went wrong however.

Either way 'should' work fine, personally I'd also go with a switch but thought the splitter might be a better option for the OP.

Best Regards

Chris

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Yes your right, only one cable would be needed (Don't know why I said 2)

We use our own splitters in here all the time with no problems, I can understand that it could cause a lot more of a headache if it went wrong however.

Either way 'should' work fine, personally I'd also go with a switch but thought the splitter might be a better option for the OP.
Two comments:

Of course you use them, because you get them at cost. The OP would pay retail (I have looked at your prices.) and at the end of the day would pay more for your kluge rather than doing it properly with a switch.

The only way they it would be a better option would be from your company's point of view - not the OP's.

Member 373730

Two comments:

Of course you use them, because you get them at cost. The OP would pay retail (I have looked at your prices.) and at the end of the day would pay more for your kluge rather than doing it properly with a switch.

The only way they it would be a better option would be from your company's point of view - not the OP's.

I said if it was me I would use a switch?

I responded to the original post in which he asked if a splitter would work, I told him it would and didn't even link to our own product.

I don't recommend the most expensive solution which makes us the most money as anyone knows who has long conversations on the phone with me. If there is no benefit with better cables / equipment I would tell you straight (not like some companies)

We've sold the splitters to massive companies who have used them for years without any problems. (Including us)

Splitter or switch, both would work. Just depends on what you want in your setup.

Best Regards

Chris

atothej

Thanks for the input everyone.

Based on the advice given here, I think I'll get myself an ethernet switch. I do have a spare socket that I can use, it's just I wanted to avoid extra wires/lights if possible.

I do have a laptop I use in this room as well, and as mentioned wifi is almost non-existent, so a switch will allow me to connect this to the internet too.

Rep added

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Yes, as long as the switch you buy has enough ethernet ports for everything. (1 for the uplink, plus 1 each for XBOX, PS & Laptop) 4, 5 and 8 port switches are available.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom