Xbox360 media playback question

elementalist2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Either the information is still a little vague, or what I am hoping for just isn't going to be possible: -

Has anyone got any good info on what/how media playback will work?

I understand what an extender for Media Centre does, but there's little information about what is possible for people who don't use a Media Centre.

I've seen that you'll be able to view photos from your PSP/camera and music from your iPod, but I was hoping to be able to at least copy files (.jpg, .mp3, .avi, etc.) across a wireless PC network and play them on the XBox360, if not stream them.

Anyone?

You will only be able to stream movies through the 360 if your PC is a Media Center.

Everything else should be ok.

You will only be able to stream TV through the 360 if your PC is a Media Center.

This is breifly what current MCE Extenders Support:
Audio file formats supported:

• Windows Media Audio Standard 7 through 9
• WMA standard audio may be Windows Media DRM-protected
• Windows Media Audio Pro and WMA Lossless
• MP3
• Playback of other audio formats may be enabled by installing a compatible DirectShow decoder on the Media Center PC

Video file formats supported:

• Windows Media Video 9 main profile
• WMA Standard audio
• Max resolution 720x480
• Max bit-rate 4Mbps
• WMV content may be Windows Media DRM-protected
• MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 standard definition
• MPEG-1 layers I and II audio
• Standard Definition DVR_MS (Recorded TV) at all quality settings (Fair through Best)
MS are releasing Update Rollup 2 for MCE on Friday which will add XBOX360 support and better support for HDTV on Extenders etc. But you can only stream to the extender what MCE can play natively.

the non extender method uses Windows Media Connect via custom 360 Blade intefaces
still doubt it will stream movie files (.ts, Divx, xvid, .mov etc etc) as that will require the 360 to have decoders on board. but aac/atrac may work due to the fact we have seen ipods and PSP's connected to 360's....

the use of the 360 hard drive (and possibly external USB hard drives) for media storage is also available.

anyone else got any firm information...?

Thanks fro the details on the streaming. It's seems a bit over-the-top to have to get a media centre to watch video. If it's on a wireless network and has a hard-drive, surely you can just copy AVIs (even of a restricted codec usage) and play them on the 360?

It would be an insane thing to not allow, but, having said that, it wouldn't be surprising if M$ missed this out so they could sell us Windows Media Centre.

Same goes for .jpgs and .mp3s. I don't want to plug everything into the XBox - I already download everything onto my PCs...

elementalist2 said:
....It would be an insane thing to not allow, but, having said that, it wouldn't be surprising if M$ missed this out so they could sell us Windows Media Centre.

Welcome to Microsoft.

Stick with your modded Xbox for media streaming.

dont forget tho that xvid and divx are pirated codecs.....surley we cannot expect even M$ to support an illegal codec...????

.jpgs and .mp3's should be fine

p.s. it does not take a lot to convert even average pc's in Media Centre these days.....

I guess we'll find out just how much the xbox360 can stream for sure now that certain press elements are going to get review boxes in the next week or two.....

HSC said:
dont forget tho that xvid and divx are pirated codecs.....surley we cannot expect even M$ to support an illegal codec...????

The codecs aren't illegal, they are just merely compression formats. The fact that most illegal video comes in these formats is the reason why MS probably doesn't want to support it.

I take it you meant the codecs aren't illegal?

They are very useful forms of compression which I use to archive my favourite (copyright purchased) DVD's onto my home network, to enable me to play them seamlessly in different rooms. It is just inconvenient and annoying that Microsoft is so arsey about supporting them!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ Totally agree. Microsoft stereotyping codecs. Tis ridiculous.

at the end of the day MS owns the codecs its using, and doesnt own the ones it isnt, so in order for you to use them they would either have to

A:get a license from each and every manufacturer in order to use it

or

B: let users install their own codecs which has the potential for conflicts/bugs/hacking :nono:

at the end of the day your gonna get a dvd player and an wmv/mpeg4 player, so you can either make your dvds thru their encoder or resort to a dvd sorter

EDIT: It also has to potential to mess things up for DIVX by making everyone drop that codec in favour of WMV so big :thumbsup: to MS

Fair comment, I have messed around with converting to WMV, using Windows Media Encoder, it didn't work out too well, but I can't remember why now exactly.. I think I had a problem with the 5.1 sound, and the quality / size of the final encode. IIRC I just run out of patience!

If I go over to media center 2005 from XP Pro, will I be able to stream video from my pc to my 360 via the wireless adapter? Also does anyone know what driver support is like?

You can stream video from your PC with XP Pro as well if you use windows media connect.

Tejstar said:
The codecs aren't legal, they are just merely compression formats. The fact that most illegal video comes in these formats is the reason why MS probably doesn't want to support it.

There is an element of truth in that. Divx (and xvid) are mpeg 4 strains.
The original mpeg4 codec was by MS. DIVX originall came from that, although has most probably been re-written from the ground up now anyway but it did come from MS, who originally wanted to charge for it.

See here for info
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/divx.cfm

Slim

zAndy1 said:
You can stream video from your PC with XP Pro as well if you use windows media connect.
To a Xbox 360? You sure?

Hi All,

Well I have installed Windows Media Centre, and it connects to the 360 via some type of desktop sharing, the media interface appears on the screen that 360 is using
I am able to play WMHD but it want play .TS file saying it cant play video over desktop sharing :confused:
any one have any ideas

Steve

s.morris said:
Hi All,

Well I have installed Windows Media Centre, and it connects to the 360 via some type of desktop sharing, the media interface appears on the screen that 360 is using
I am able to play WMHD but it want play .TS file saying it cant play video over desktop sharing :confused:
any one have any ideas

Steve

Have a look at this http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/
my brother says it works a treat on is hd movie files
STi David ....................

s.morris said:
Hi All,

any one have any ideas

Steve

.TS files do play after you install HDTVPump (use google). This is of course installed in your Windows Media Centre PC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom