XBox360 + LG 32LX2R = Very Dark :(

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Carlm, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Carlm

Carlm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Im using a 360 premium connected via the component lead ( Official M$ one ) to my LG 32LX2R set to 1080i. now the problem is some parts of games are way to dark to see whats going on. Like COD2 or the burnout demo. DVDs are also way too dark. Ive played with all the contrast, brightness etc.. settings but i cant fix it.
    If i play a DVD on my old xbox its fine and i can see more detail in the dark scenes, that is via the RGB input tho.
    can anyone help

2. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I think its a problem with Component.
    I knowi cant stand componenet coz its too dark in places, but it is more colourful

Try and use a VGA cable and see if thats any better. The picture is alot better with VGA IMO.

3. matt1971

matt1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have exactly the same setup - i just have just set the tv to standard mode and running at 720p (think 720p is better due to supporting 60fps whereas 1080i only support 30fps)

Have COD and Burnout and both are fine most of the time, I agree that Burnout is a little dark at times - but then other members on these forums have said the same with their setup.

The worst games for darkness are King Kong and Kameo - although there are brightness/gamma settings which help.

Think the TV is great quality though.

Matt

4. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I have the 26inch version in 1080i 60hz, and it is not dark at all for me.

5. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    when i had my old panasonic plasma that was unable to display 1080i etc it was too dark...maybee your screen isnt compatible.Try 480p is it ok then

6. grambles

grambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the same set up but find 1080i to look horrible. Playing PGR the cars look like cut-outs stuck on the screen.

Im more happy with 720p.

7. jobe

jobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only had my 32LX2R fro two days and love it.
    360 is great via component running at 720p, have not tried 1080i.
    Could others who own this set post their tv settings, to get the very best out of the picture.

Jobe

8. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Burnout (demo) is pretty damn dark on my Samsung if that's any help.

9. matt1971

matt1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just have mine set on the standard mode for xbox 360, xbox or DVD usage, mild settings for TV viewing.

....after whats been said elsewhere am going to use the calibration on PGR3 and Condemned to check my contrast/brightness settings. [Did use the DVE disk but got confused by it, and left my settings as above]

Matt

10. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Maybe you got something wrong with your TV, because the PGR3 cars look lush in 1080i on my LG 26LX2R.

11. madfish_den

madfish_den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a simple case of needing to setup your screen to work at it's best with the 360.
    Somewhere else on the forums there is something about the 360 sending "darker" black colours than a dvd player does:
    Alledgedly, dvd's send black as Red=16(out of 256),Green=16, Blue= 16
    the xbox sends R=0,G=0,B=0. It also sends "whiter whites".

Basically find the custom setting on your tv setup and change the contrast / brightness, colour, etc so you the xbox picture that you are happy with. Of course this setting will be off for watching telly and dvd's, but hey, theres normally a standard setting for that!

12. Carlm

Carlm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sat playing with the settings for ages, nothing would make the dark detail visible. But i just got a joytech vga cable and i can see everything!! wahoo. I can finally play COD2 with out shooting in the dark hoping to hit something and the Burnout revenge demo is playable.

The colors dont seem as good as component not quite as vivid but ive not spent long trying to tweak it. You can see alot more of the screen as overscan isnt an issue with VGA and the picture looks smoother which I like.

Ive read a few other posts that say the NBA and condemend demos have calibrations screens, so ill try them out to tweak my settings till there perfect. Thanks for everyones help, I guess the component input and xbox's dont mix on my TV.

13. Carlm

Carlm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One problem I just noticed I set my 360 to max res it detects for my screen 1366 x 768 but when i press the ok button on my remote it pops up a box saying the picture is 1024*768 60hz, so whats happening there then? why wont it use the full res it detects and ive selected in the dashboard settings.

14. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Guys post up any links to those settings people have for there 360's on this TV 26inch or 32inch. Also I post what my TV settings later on buddy.

15. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cough ;)
    |
    |
    |
    V

16. matt1971

matt1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The link beneath this quote does not contain settings for the 26/32LX2r, however I have my TV set on the standard setting for games.

Condemned and PGR3 do have a calibration screen, and I believe the demo for NBA has calibration too.

The only deviation for me from the standard settings would be to turn the sharpness down and increase the brightness 1 or 2 points.

I went through the DVE disk and the results were only marginally different to standard.

Matt