Xbox360 lan over Homeplugs :K

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by matthewpscott, May 28, 2008.

1. matthewpscott

matthewpscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all,

got 4 xbox 360's in the house and just wondering lanning over homeplugs from each machine will there be lag in games?? the games will be local and not played on xbox live ;D

also got 20meg internet and wondering if the homeplug will be able to max out the connection :D

cheers

2. T3C

T3C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481

I do the same with 2 360's and have no problems with lag over lan or over xbox live for that matter.

That depends on what version of the homeplugs you have to be honest. Also alot depends on the quality of the wiring within your house and how much line noise you have from various appliances too.

I have the basic version of the homeplugs in my house which should be able to "connect" upto 14 meg per sec but in real life I get about 6 - 7 meg.

Even in new(ish) houses I've seen the the basic homeplugs only connect at speeds as low as 1.5 meg.

3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    The problem that you will have with multiple Homeplugs is the protocol is such that performance, including latency, dips considerably the more devices that you have working concurrently on the network. Try to use just a pair if you can, to deal with the most awkward cable run, with Ethernet Switches and cable elsewhere.

4. nburg01

nburg01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Four XBoxes, lucky you! Are the XBoxes all in the same room or in separate rooms? if they're spread over multiple rooms then you'll need 4 separate homeplugs. Just try and make sure you put all the homeplugs on dedicated plugs as putting them on extensions will slow down throughput. The new Solwise HomePlug AV is very good as it runs at 200mpbs and also has a built-in 'mains passthrough', so the homeplug doesn't hog the plug socket. These homeplugs will also easily handle 20mbps broadband.

If you have some of the XBoxes in the same room then for that room you could just buy 1 homeplug then connect both Xboxes to this via a switch, this would be cheaper than having to buy individual homeplugs for each Xbox.

5. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    It would also lower latency.

6. whitters366

whitters366

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah - it will all depend on how the XBOX's are located, I would concur with some of my learned colleagues in this post, and try to group them so that you use the minimum of powerline devices, and use 100Base-T network switches elsewhere. Alternatively, I use powerline devices from Solwise's 85MBps range, that are 3-port (3 network ports) devices, and so if the 3 of the XBOX's are close together, you could use one of those!

Hope this helps!