1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox360 internal scaler

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mofous, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mofous

mofous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sorry if the question has been asked before in some other form, however...

Can anybody tell me anything specific about the internal scaler that the x360 is supposed to have? I'm asking this because a friend of mine is deciding between a very good LCD monitor (16:10, 1680x1050) and a somewhat cheap LCD TV. As far as I understand it LCD monitors have crappy scalers, as they usually display the picture in the screen's the native resolution on the PC. TVs on the other hand have to deal with much more scaling so it's smart to include a better scaler.

So... What will happen when and if my friend does indeed connect the xbox360 to the LCD monitor via VGA? Will the console's internal scaler detect the monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 and convert the outgoing (1280x720p?) signal to that resolution? Am I getting this right? Or will the console leave the signal to processed by the monitor's crappy scaler? Or wil both scalers play a role in the converting? Thanks.

2. mofous

mofous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nobody? :)

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    no body honestly knows what exact resolutions xbox 360 will output over VGA. component it will output 720p & 1080i inc the SD res's etc. even over VGA id probably say that he wont be able to get 1680x1050 out of the 360 as thats quite a odd screen resolution plus i cant see them supporting 16:10 natively with the games beeing coded with 720p in mind as ive seen it. if he connecting over component he will have no choice to have 720p into the screen and let the screen scale if needed so both will be involved with that resolution i feel but its not for cert as we have not been told what its going to output over VGA.

4. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just put it this way: It'll look a heck of a lot better on an LCD TV than on an LCD monitor.

As you've said yourself, the scalers used in monitors are awful. I've got my Samsung LCD TV running my Dreamcast in VGA mode at 640x480 - therefore scaled - and the picture is absolutely stunning. An LCD monitor just can't compete.

5. mofous

mofous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, that's more or less what I thought, but I've read somewhere about this supposedly super advanced xbox360 internal scanner, so I thought I'd ask. So to say it in simple words: your screen's scaler will still do most of the converting. If you have a 1366x768 screen there won't be much PQ loss, as that's almost the same resolution as the output 720p. But if you have a PC monitor you're more or less screwed. Unless you get some kind of external scaler, I suppose.