1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox360 hdtv

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tony_ montana, Aug 20, 2005.

1. tony_ montana

tony_ montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: can anyone help just got a toshiba wl56 hdtv nice tv,but one problem
    no Component connection which is what xbox360 will use to get hd,will there be another way of connecting an xbox360 to get hd,this tv has hdmi connection,but will ms release a cable. :mad:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Doesn't the WL56 take component via it's VGA connection?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I think it takes component through VGA and they should have supplied a converter in the box too.

Or MS will release a VGA cable for you to use.

No DVI or HDMI, as the Xbox 360 has no capability for digital video output in its current form.

4. tony_ montana

tony_ montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the connections the wl56 has are s
    -video,l mono,audio right,and 2 scart socket,monitor video,will any of these give hd :confused:

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Video, L/Monon and Right sound like 3 phonos for composite video and audio. Not HD.
    SCART very unlikely to be HD.

What connector is "Monitor Video" ?

6. tony_ montana

tony_ montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monitor,pchdmi,the looks of things with this tv i've wasted my money the fact that when i connect an xbox360 to it,will not be hd :mad:

7. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    You will have to connect the 360 via the M$ vga cable. which i have already pre-ordered from play.com for 17.99. It will do HD.

Unless a way can be found the connect the M$ 360 component lead to the vga.

(I never got an adaptor with my replacement screen btw)

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The WL56 does accept component via it's VGA (PC compatible input) and you'll find a nice big thread on the subject here.

Of course you are well catered for when sources require HDMI (HDCP) such as upscaling DVD players and of course HD STB's or the PS3 (which I guess you won't be bothering with:) ).

9. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VGA>Component anyway.

Remember guys, you can also connect the 360 via a DVI-I with a simple adaptor.

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes - but only DVI-I (which combines DVI-A with DVI-D) not DVI-D only (in other words analogue not digital)

Some displays with DVI-I shaped connectors only support DVI-D connections though - so worth double checking.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It sounds like VGA will be your only option here. I cant beleive they are still sticking in Scart conections on HDTVs! They should know by now that no HD product will ever support scart!

VGA, DVi-D/I, HDMI and component are the only necesary conections from now on. As well as the proper HD resolution.

12. tony_ montana

tony_ montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help guys,all i really want to know is if i connect a xbox360 to my toshiba wl56 32inch will it be in hd,having no Component connection on the tv,has ms seem to be using this type of connection for there console. :(

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Err - SCARTs are still quite useful for connecting VCRs, Sky SD boxes, DVD players etc. at the moment... RGB SCART is still the highest quality SD interconnect routinely knocking around in the UK.

If you were buying an HD Ready display in the UK today - you'd be stuffed without SCART inputs - as all your sources are still SD...

How else would you connect your Sky + or Sky SD receiver? (They don't have HDMI or Component outputs... Composite or S-video are nowhere near as good as RGB SCART)

Until HD sources become available - it would be madness not to provide RGB analogue connectivity.

Just because you buy an HD display doesn't mean you are suddenly going to stop needing SD inputs - and SCART is a very versatile SD input connector. (DVD Recorders on sale in the UK are more likely to have RGB SCART than component outputs for example - especially those already purchased)

Fitting SCART sockets in Europe is just like putting on composite or s-video inputs in the US or Japan... Surely there aren't that many HD displays on sale with no SD inputs are there?

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    as said, your TV supports component HD through the VGA socket. If you don't have one with your set ,you can get a component->VGA adapter pretty cheap (or contact Toshiba, I think they should have included one in the sets)

Then if you buy the £279 Xbox pack, it comes with component cables that you can just connect (using the adapter ) to your TV, and bingo!

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I understand that people need backwards compatibility, but they shouldnt be puting in 2 scarts and then not bothering with a propper HD conection like component!

It seems to me that this is the way makers want to sell yet another display a year down the road when people start to realise that scart wont do them any good when it comes to HD.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Which is one of the reasons the manufacturers via the EICTA have come up with the HD Ready spec and logo.
    In the case of the TV this thread is concerned with it does support component input but only via an adaptor feeding it's VGA port, similar I guess to my LCD which accepts component via and adaptor on it's DVI input.

Minor annoyance that it uses a multi purpose input which hopefully will become a thing of the past as HD Ready takes hold and actual devices appear on the market which makes having a single digital input an issue.

17. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    its very much rumour. Half the time the reps on stands are hired guns reading from a crib sheet.

There are at least two, possibly three devices in the next year or so needing HDMI because of content protection. X360 doesn't need that protection, so I'm happy to stay with component if it avoids buying an expensive HDMI switcher.

19. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    360 won't have HDMI.

360 will output VGA at 1024x768 to match up with regular 4:3 PC monitors, which means its gonna be a problem if you intend to use it on your widescreen TV via VGA. For TV, component is the only way to go.