Xbox360 HDDVD Drive - spec for my computer

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by WWEfanUK, Jun 9, 2008.

1. WWEfanUK

WWEfanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys,

I bought an xbox360 hddvd drive today (part of the current gamestation deal) i was just wondering with regards to setting it up on a computer... i have managed to get it set up, plugged it in, d/l drivers and get it recognised as a drive on my PC but how easy is it to play hd-dvd content? I recently downloaded the cyberlink blu-ray/hd checker and it said my graphics card/firmware/player software and monitor did not meet spec's to go HD yet! :boring:

In truth, i need a new PC anyway (this 1 is pretty old) ..my question is, what is important to have an HD-compliant PC...

I know for a fact my monitor is HDCP compliant, it doesnt have an HDMI (i think thats why the cyberlink checker said i wasnt hd ready :rolleyes:, pardon the pun) but does have DVI and VGA inputs, it's a Samsung 226CW..

any info on this would be greatly appreciated...

also does anyone know why there are 2 seperate usb ports on the xbox360 hddvd drive?

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The most likely problem is that your video card is not HDCP compliant.

3. dan_n_out

dan_n_out

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The extra USB ports on the back are so you can add more devices to your 360/PC. Could be useful if you're running low on USB ports on your PC and then take the last one with the drive.

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    You need an HDCP compliant graphics card - and it helps if it's a reasonable specification. If your monitor if HDCP compliant then connecting via DVI is fine, you don't need an HDMI connection.

You'll need a pretty recent processor, say a 2GHz+ core duo and 2GB+ of RAM

Then you'll need a sound card that can do digital out and is supported by your selected player software.

Then there's the software, currently there are only 3 manufacturers producing HD-DVD/Blu-ray player software. There's Cyberlink with PowerDVD, ArcSoft with TotalMedia Theatre and Intervideo with WinDVD. I've not tried WinDVD's HD player, and found PowerDVD Ultra unstable (plus, the latest version no longer supports HD-DVD). My recommendation (and the one I currently use) is Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre - there's a trial version you can download to check it will work on your system.
    ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre

I'm using this with a PC that has an internal Pioneer Blu-ray drive, and an external XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive fitted. The PC has a NVidia 8600 HDCP graphics card connected to a monitor via DVI, a 2.2GHz core duo CPU and 2Gb of RAM.

5. WWEfanUK

WWEfanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thankyou cjed! very useful info and just what i was after :thumbsup:

6. chocky909

chocky909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Can I ask a question regarding using this with my PC instead of my 360? Is it possible to play HD DVDs at 1080/24p through a HTPC or is the lack of 24p support a problem with the drive? I know HD DVDs suffer from judder played through a 360 whether you have a 24p display or not but can this be rectified by using the drive with a PC.

Basically, if I want to play HD DVDs in 1080/24p will I need to buy a standalone player?

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Hi

It's nothing to do with the drive - 24FPS capability is down to the rest of the hardware. In the case of a PC, there is nothing stopping you.

You should be able to output 48 or 72Hz which will give you perfect 24FPS capability.

Steve

8. chocky909

chocky909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Interesting. Thanks. I'll try it out at the weekend. I have no idea whether my GFX card is compatible though. Nvidia 8600GT. I think that some are HDCP and some aren't. Sod's law says mine isn't. Is there a way to check before I hook the drive up?

9. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Pretty sure the entire 8xxx series is hdcp, they started switchover in 7xxx series I believe

10. chocky909

chocky909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  11. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Actually Nero 8 will play back blu ray and HD-DVD as well as burn both . I tried windvd9 blu ray at first but found it was not compatible with my graphics card (NVidia 9600 GT ) - choppy playback and stuttering on both HD discs and dvds - and that is on a system with a Q6600 procssor !
    but Nero Showtime played back both formats as smooth as silk, even though I don't have an HDCP compliant monitor - with AnyHD-DVD it worked perfectly If you already have Nero 8 the HD plug-in costs £ 15.

12. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Ah, I did see mention of HD playback with Nero 8 but assumed it was from media files not HD-DVD/Blu-ray - I'll have to give it a go ...

13. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    it (Nero Showtime) works fine from disc playback via the LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive but there is one peculiar quirk ..
    some discs only playback with AnyDVD(HD) enabled and others only play back with it disabled :confused:
    of course that may be just me as although my system is fully HDCP compliant , the monitor is not :devil:

14. DougieB

DougieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    HI
    Question?
    Did Arcsoft player playback from 360 HD-DVD player on installation or did
    you have to install anything else.

DougieB

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,116
    Will this drive work with my spec? I won't be displaying it at 720 or 1080 as my projector is 480p. So, I will be downscaling it from the pc (848 x 480). I can get a cracking picture from HD WMV files (up to 1080p) and they play ok.

Athlon 64 3700+
    2GB RAM
    NVidia 6150

I can get round HDCP with AnyDVD.

16. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Sorry about the slow reply. You do need the drivers to allow your PC to access the 360 add-on correctly. They're available from several sites on the web.

Once those are installed, Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre played back HD-DVDs from the 360 add-on fine with no additional software.

I've just got the Nero HD playback plug-in, but haven't had a change to try it yet. It doesn't seem to work with my Nero V7 (although their web site says it does).

17. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    I would expect it to be OK - if you can play 1080p content via a media player you should be fine. You do of course need a USB2 port to plug the drive in to.

18. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,116
    Thanks. USB 2.0 isn't a problem as I have plenty of ports left.

I have played up to 1080p WMV and Quicktime files. I use VLC and Media Player Classic.

There is a Gamestation near by so I may go and see if they have any.

btw, is the drive externally powered or does it get all the power from the USB?

19. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    It's externally powered - it also comes with a 360 remote controller, a bargain for £25 (with 2 HD-DVDs of your choice).

20. DougieB

DougieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I have the drivers for the 360 HD Drive and my PC recognizes it but Arcsoft does not appear to see it although the drive letter (in this case J) appears in the Arcsoft drive list but does not show any title against the letter, for that matter it does not even recognize my DVD writer or ROM drives. Any ideas.
    Thanks in anticipation. I am running an AMD 4200 x2 @2.6Gig and my graphics
    card is a Raedon 1600 Pro with 512 DDR II memory (PCIe).

DougieB

21. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm trying to hook my 360 hd-dvd player to my pc using Power DVD Ultra (hi-def suite).

I've installed all the drivers and Power DVD detects my player ok. However, when I click 'play' a disc I get the following warning:

'A critical component of the player requires updating. New movies could fail to play if the critical component is not updated promptly. Would you like to update now?'

I click the option to update, it downloads some kind of patch file. Rather than the usual 'run' or 'save' option you get with download files I am asked if I want to 'find' or 'save'. ('find' takes you to a Windows web page that says it does not recognise this MIME file???)

Not sure where the file needs to be saved.....have tried saving it in the Power DVD folder but am still hitting the same warning message.

Anybody else managed to apply the update & where did you save it to?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  22. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Tom, Save it to the desktop, put .exe after the file name and double click on it, it should start to run.

23. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    That worked a treat - thanks very much for the help! :thumbsup: