Xbox360 -> component to Onkyo SR607 -> HDMI to Sony Full HD tv

Merxit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum, So i hope i do it right and that somebody can help me figure this out.

I would like to connect my Xbox with component cable to the reciever and then use hdmi from te reciever to the TV.

However if i do that i can only get 720p or 1080i resolution. If i put the xbox on 1080p i get black and flickerings screen. However if i bypass the reciever and use componet diectly from the Xbox to the TV, then i can get 1080p.

Is it not possible to get 1080p when using components cable to the reciever and then changing to hdmi from the reciever to the tv. Does it have to be either component or hdmi that is used the whole way xbox -> reciever -> TV ?

Another trouble i have is that my tv has 3 hdmi inputs, however when using a laptop in 1080p, the desktop only fits the actual screen size in hdmi input 3. When using input 1 and 2 some of the desktop is missing.

I hope someone has experience with the above, and can tell me if it should work or if its correct that you cant get 1080p when you let the reciever convert our component signal to hdmi.

Best regards
Martin

I just had a look at the specs of your amp and found this on the onkyo website: HDMI Video Upscaling to 1080i from Component Video and Composite Video Inputs. It looks like your amp wont do 1080p conversion as needed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks GlynD, and you might be right.

I read that too, but thought that it meant that i can upscale 480p and 720p to 1080i.

I didn't think it meant that it couldn't support passing through 1080p, when thats the signal that it gets from the attached device.

But i guess thats what it means then... Cry

Thanks alot for your reply :)

You could try connecting your xbox component cable to the amp and then getting another component cable and then link the amp to the TV. You may be able to get 1080p that way. I think the 1080p problem is only when you use the HDMI connection.

You could try connecting your xbox component cable to the amp and then getting another component cable and then link the amp to the TV. You may be able to get 1080p that way. I think the 1080p problem is only when you use the HDMI connection.

You could also connect the component straight to the TV and use an optical from the Xbox to the amp for your sound.

I do this with my Onkyo 605 as I find it useful when i want to play and listen to music from my DVD player.

Until my original 360 RROD'd, it was connected via component to the amp and the amp was connected by HDMI to the TV. I always found that if I set my 360 to 1080P I would get a black screen so had to set it to 1080i and have the Onkie convert it to 1080P.

My Sony TV only accepted 1080P through HDMI, so directly connecting the component to the TV would only work on 1080i as well...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom