1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX360 as a DVD player

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ppp65, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ppp65

ppp65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What do people reckon the 360 will be like as a DVD player? My current player has given up the ghost and I'm wondering whether to replace it or just wait till I get the XBOX and use that. If I do replace it I'm looking at the Pio 575. Do you think I'd notice much difference between this and the XBOX?

2. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Not many people will know i think until they come out. Unless you can find what components it uses inside.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    The FAQ answers this question in a bit more detail, but as far as I can see, the 360 will be a not-too-shabby progressive capable player. I reckon it will be at least as good as the 575, but I'm waiting to get shot down on that one.

4. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The only thing that would put me off using the 360 as a DVD player, even if the PQ was sensational would be the noise... If the 360 sounds anything like the Xbox I couldn't possibly watch a film on it without that fan driving me up the wall. Hopefully the water-cooling system will be up to scratch and if they're really pushing for this "always on, always connected" idea, they better make sure it's "always quiet" :)

In terms of components used, you'll probably find it's a software function. Most of the audio functionality is routed through the CPUs rather than a custom processor apparently and with that much power inside which will be pretty much redundant when watching a DVD, it would make sense to do it in software so the real issue could be how good is the software rather than how good is the hardware.

It's worth noting though that this is currently pure speculation - unfortunately we'll need to wait until the 360 is in people's hands before we know how good or not it will be as a DVD player. As Lorenzini stated, we mention the DVD elements of the 360 in the FAQ - as soon as we know more, we'll update the FAQ accordingly.

Cheers,

Colin

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Actually, I remember reading something about the fan noise. When you're just playing a DVD or doing anything else that's not CPU intensive, non-essential functions power down, and this includes unnecessary cooling fans. In fact the fans even adapt to whether the console is lay down or upright, so cooling noise *hopefully* shouldn't be as big a problem as it is with the current Xbox.

6. ppp65

ppp65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Colin. I guess I'll use my PS2 as a temporary DVD player and then wait and see what the 360 is like before deciding.