1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox2

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MrBlofeldt, Feb 2, 2005.

1. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    So does anyone have any ideas, or has anyone heard any rumours of what the X2 speca are going to be ? will it be backward compatible in terms of games and how will this work with XBOX live ?
    :)

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Apparently it comes with a toaster, juicer and a built-in ironing board for the missus!

3. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Not kept totally uptodate on this stuff, but it'll be multicore power5 based (basically uses the IBM CELL processor tech), has ATI's latest and greatest GPU, probably no hard drive (but i don't think this was ever confirmed) 512MB ish RAM.

I think it's using standard DVD drive as a pose to the BluRay drive in PS3. but it will have a 1080p capable HDMI connector, so I guess it would make sense if it used a blue-laser disc (HD-DVD or BLU-RAY).

It's interesting though that IBM are making the core processors for all three next gen consoles. Nintendo is using ATI GPU and Sony is using NVIDIA GPU. I reckon the next gen consoles will be very similar performance wise. They all look pretty similar on paper??

4. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Could that mean that cross platform gaming will be one step closer ? :confused:

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Personally I am not getting too excited about the next gen consoles unless they bring something unique to the table.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be at the front of the queue for Xbox2, but I am assuming that game production costs are going to rise significiantly if the specs are going to be made the most of...is this going to be passed on to the consumer or is quality going to be cut?

I guess most of the games available will be more of the same with better graphics..halo 3..Tiger Woods 2006..etc etc

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    EA have already annouced a load of titles for Xbox 2 .....
    Burnout 4
    Black
    Battlefield: Modern Combat
    FIFA 2006
    FIFA Street 2
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
    SSX 4
    The Godfather
    Etc
    etc.

The thing to remember is all these are also coming out on Ps2 and EA develop games on the weakest system (the PS2) and then port them accross to other platforms with minimum enhancements.

7. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I really really hope they make the sensible step of backward compatability. In buisiness terms Im sure more people might go for it too if they know they don't have to start all over again with a whole new bunch of games.

anyone got any technical links ?

8. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Rumoured specs:
    3 x dual core Power PC G5 based CPU (not Cell based) at 3.5GHz!!!

ATi developed graphics hardware, unified shaders, 10MB EDRAM (ala PS2 and GC). Supposed to be based on ATi's R400 tech which hasn't even shown up on the PC yet. Estimated performance of 500million+ triangles per sec and over 4 billion pixels per second. HDTV at 720p is supported.

SiS handling the I/O side of things.

Sound likely to be driven by the CPU. No HDD. Lots of flash memory. And integration with Windows Media Centre.

I'm inclined to agree with scrapbook. Development costs are likely to rise mainly to cover the cost of hiring enough artists to churn out all the glorious hi res textures and normal maps. And we'll end up paying for it.
    Unless there is some kind of revoultionary new type of controller games will likely be a very similar style to those we play today.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Revolution is supposedly backwards compatible and will use gyration technology

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    :boring: Man..don't you just luv EA (where has the suicide smilie gone??)

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

The new Nintendo console will be able to pole-dance?

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  13. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Just read this

"Said Microsoft's Xbox boss, Robert J. Bach, in a recent interview: "We'll be there when Sony is there."

Turns out he may have been underplaying his hand. BusinessWeek has learned that Microsoft is planning to launch the next version of Xbox, code-named Xenon, in time for the holiday season in 2005, shaving a year off the typical five-year console life cycle. And while a Sony partner says the Japanese company is aiming for the same launch window, game developers say Sony hasn't yet nailed down the key technical details of its next PlayStation. Without that data, developers can't begin coming up with games, which typically takes 18 months.

While Sony will not publicly discuss launch plans, developers believe PlayStation 3 will likely land on store shelves in Japan in the spring of 2006, and in North America six month later. If they're right, Xbox could hit the market as much as a year ahead of its biggest rival -- giving Microsoft a big advantage. Says David Cole, an analyst with researcher DFC Intelligence: "That could push Xbox into the lead.""

One of the most telling things here, I think, is the comment about game development, taking typically 18 months. If this is indeed the case, then surely companies like Ubisoft, Bungie, EA etc etc must have had development kits for at least this time, probably even longer, to give them time to get used to it and because the big M wouldn't want to release a console with zero games available.

Does that mean that all the rumours of what the Spec for X2 is likely to be, are already known and the Specs mentioned so far are in fact confirmed by the above statement ? :thumbsup:

14. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I thought that games developers had been working with Apple G5 based development platorms for some months now. I think the basic architecture used in a G5 mac is similar to what will be used in the XBOX2....probably slower coz you can only get 2CPU versions and they'd have to soft-emulate the sound and new graphic APIs but that'd be no problem.

I know for a fact that completed XBOX2 hardware does not yet exsist (at least not in it's final form), I'm not sure if IBM has actually got any dual/multi core power5s in real silicon yet coz they haven't demo any. But microsoft was still in negotiations for some supporting ASIC devices only a few weeks ago (can't be more specific without getting into trouble) .

I reckon it'll be a real stretch for MS to launch a system at the end of the year if they're still in the prototyping stage now. To get the XBOX2 into production for an end of year launch, MS would have to have a 100% debugged 100% reliable prototype completed before the middle of the year so they'd have enough time to get Flextronics, or whoever is building it, to get tooled up and debug the production line ready to get some consoles out for christmas.

I bet the guys at MS are working their asses off now though. It's probably do-able if everything goes smoothly for them, but I wouldn't put money on it :smoke:

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It sounds to me like only Nintendo will actually deliver something unique. Even if it is gyro lap dancing!

The PS3 and XBox 2 will just be overpowered beasts competing for specs, and not really offer a new gaming experience.

Prepare to see sequel upon sequel on these new consoles. :suicide:

As for the revolution, expect to see something along the lines of the DS. And "Dance Dance Revolution Gyro edition"
    :smashin:

16. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The spec discussion is very interesting, but I wonder what the price point will be?

IMHO - If MSoft get there a year ahead the console price will be higher, then possibly dropped when Sony release PS3. The key is market competition, I care about specs, but if I can't afford it....:(

Also wouldn't mind a few games that venture out of the box and into some new territory. What that territory is is another conversation.

17. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Microsoft are aiming to control the manufacturing costs of the Xbox 2 so they don't incurr the kinds of losses they had with the current gen system.
    MS have went down the route of selecting IP and manufacturing partners so they won't be held to ransom by Intel and nVidia over the component prices.

Of course MS will need to sell it at a loss at first but over time the maunfacturing costs will come down and die shrinks will help that. Hopefully some of the savings will be passed on to the consumers.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Street price is rummoured to be £299 - £349 and its set for release at the end of this year in the States and Japan. If it plays HD DVD and bearing in mind the rest of the suggested specs this is a bargain.

I will probably pick one up in the states if the currency rates stay the same, it will work out much cheaper.

19. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to add something, the console is now rumoured to be called XBOX 360. That is to excape the conjecture (false or not....) that as the PS3 has a higher number than XBOX2 it must be better.

20. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ive heard the Xbox2 will come in a number of specs (three in total) one containing a base console, the second a small HD, and the third a big HD to act as a full media center etc. Should be interesting.

Aparently E3 will be the debut of all three consoles.

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The optional HD was a must for them to reduce the street price of the console. Most people will go for HD option anyway I reckon especially if it gives the capability to record from TV with the HD pack.

I`m really hoping they do a proper job and it has the option of Tivo like capabilities.

22. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd imagine Xbox 2 will feature a built in Media Centre Extender much like the add on for the current Xbox.
    MS will probably rather sell more copies of XP Media Centre than a loss making console. A large HD in a console will take up space and push up the cost.
    I don't think there will be 3 versions on the Xbox 2, just the 1 with no HDD. M-Systems are developing high capacity Flash based memory devices for Xbox 2 and their owner has been quoted saying there is no HDD in the Xbox 2.
    I think MS look at the memory card sales on other systems and have decided that would be a nice little money spinner.
    Personally I think the HDD is underutilised but it's great not having to buy multiple memory cards for a console.