1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox worth it for my needs?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by doctorjuggles, Apr 13, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ultimately I'll be building myself a Home Theatre PC sometime in the future, but in the meantime, my copmany is selling off some of our old Xboxes to staff for £45.

I'm wondering if I should go for it and buy one to use as a networked modded home theatre server in the mean time, or should I just save my £45 and put it toward the HTPC when the time comes to build it?

Remember that this console will be feeding into a 42" plasma, (non hi-def compatible,) so it'll need to be able to scale well enough to drive the plasma to a decent level, otherwise it's just a waste of £45. But it's a tempting prospect at that price, so advice on this is most welcome.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    $64,000 question really. I suppose the problem comes where you define "well enough". I started out with a chipped xbox feeding my 36" CRT via component and found the pic quality to be acceptable. I think for £45 you could give it a go, you could always ebay the xbox if you don't like it.