Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Xbox worth it for my needs?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by doctorjuggles, Apr 13, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ultimately I'll be building myself a Home Theatre PC sometime in the future, but in the meantime, my copmany is selling off some of our old Xboxes to staff for £45.

I'm wondering if I should go for it and buy one to use as a networked modded home theatre server in the mean time, or should I just save my £45 and put it toward the HTPC when the time comes to build it?

Remember that this console will be feeding into a 42" plasma, (non hi-def compatible,) so it'll need to be able to scale well enough to drive the plasma to a decent level, otherwise it's just a waste of £45. But it's a tempting prospect at that price, so advice on this is most welcome.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    $64,000 question really. I suppose the problem comes where you define "well enough". I started out with a chipped xbox feeding my 36" CRT via component and found the pic quality to be acceptable. I think for £45 you could give it a go, you could always ebay the xbox if you don't like it.