1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox with error 21 - accessing HD?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by scumball, Aug 8, 2005.

1. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    I have a Xenium chip modded Xbox with a 80gb HD and a dead bios. I soft modded the Xbox to get back to using XBMC. All was fine and dandy until I fiddled via FTP. I now have an error 21 and cannot boot up any dashboard or original game discs (like Splinter Cell to re-install the softmod). Obviously I cannot get into it via FTP either. I have removed the HD, attached it to my PC on the secondary IDE channel and "unlocked" it. I can see it as an attached device.

Any ideas how I can access the files and replace them with a backup I have on the PC? I have tried fatxplorer and fatxexplorer both see the XBox drive but both close down before showing the contents (I have installed the VB6 runtimes)...

I really don't want to have to re-chip it just to replace one corrupt file...so please, any ideas?

2. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you have a mate with a chipped box, you can connect your hard drive in place of his CD ROM, boot off his hard drive and ftp to it and put your settings back. You could also try downloading an Evox boot disk and boot to the CD ROM rather than the hard drive, and see if FTP is available again.

Failing that, a kind forum member may be able to connect your hard drive to their xbox. ;)

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Scumball, your post is a bit confusing. First off you say that you have a Xenium chipped Xbox, then that you have softmodded it, then that you don't want to chip it again.

If it won't boot original games then you have a serious problem. The bios could be knackered & then the only solution is to chip it. If it's a version V1.0-1.5 Xbox you can then reflash the onboard bios (TSOP) after shorting a couple of points on the motherboard. You can flash it with either the standard MS bios or preferably Xecutor or Evox bios. It could also be that the DVD drive is dodgy or indeed that the Splinter Cell DVD is dirty.

Error 21 means that a softmod has gone wrong & that there are missing files from the C drive that the MS dashboard expects to find. You can replace the files on the disk by a number of methods but if you cannot read a DVD it won't solve all your problems.

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The box was mod chipped with a Xenium but this became corrupt. I removed the Xenium chip and softmodded the box instead of investing in a new chip. I have indeed got a corrupt msdash.xbe or xboxdash.xbe (I'm not sure which) as those were the files I was 'fiddling' with. I have managed to find out myself for anyone who is interested.

Remove the XBOX HD. Download and build the XBHDM self-booting Linux CD (include the C and E drive backups you have taken, or you could use the C folder from a Slayers disk if you don't have a backup - use Qwix to extract these). Take out your PC HD and replace it with the XBox HD. Boot the PC with the Linux CD. Unlock the Xbox HD (you will need the password for this, I have mine but there may be tools to get this if you don't), repartition the C drive using the backup and relock/reinstall the HD. You should be back to a normal MS Dash then and should be able to run the softmod again.

This Linux CD also contains a Xbox HD browser so if you have a backup on the XBox HD itself you could feasibly copy it from one folder/drive to another (i.e. E to C)

I'm pretty sure my DVD drive is fine and it's just the Error 21 and corrupt dashboard that is stopping the games loading as this problem has been reported before on other sites...