1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox (with Component) to Panny5 - very grainy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mattsimis, Sep 25, 2003.

1. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I finally managed to actually get a Plasma (after all the planning). I got a silver model TH42PW5B, for a good price, new from Richersounds.

The best quality connection Ive got connected at the moment is an Xbox connected via Component cable (MS HiDef pack). The Xbox is modded and running as an NTSC console in Progressive Scan (hacked support for DVD playback too).

Playing DVDs via the XB, I noticed two problems during the brief testing I have given it so far:

- Colour gradients look very low quality, like looking at a 256color reproduction (of certain colors only).
    - The image looks "dirty", for lack of a better word. It doesnt seem to be a resolution issue, as it actually looks crisp, but noisy,
    - On dark backgrounds I can see "green dot crawl".

As it is now, I would almost say the Xbox looked better in 576i mode over the Svideo cable than 480p over Component. (athough to be fair, the "green dot crawl" was considerably worse over svideo)

Also, after reading about how great the "blacks" are the Pannys can produce, Im a little underwhelmed. Considering the physical screen is a very dark grey, Im not sure how anyone could ever describe any black it produces as "pure black".

Matt

PS: I do like the screen and am very impressed in other regards. :)

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Have you tried it with a good DVD player? Unfortunately the XBox isn't the last word in picture quality IMO.

3. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, I accept it isnt great, but didnt expect the problems to be this glaring. The best input I can try is a PC hooked up to the VGA input. That will be my next step. I was just wondering if this is "normal" for an Xbox + Plasma.

Matt

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not normal for x-box and panny via component, or s-video. You have a problem, not at all sure what. It'd be good to stick something else into the plasma just to make sure, but I suspect the x-box has not taken well to it's mods.

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Xbox on 480p on my Pioneer 433MXE. Even DVD playback was fairly good - far better than from my interlaced sources. Could be a dodgy lead or a dodgy HiDef pack...

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 37" Panasonic 4 Series plasma in the bedroom which Gordon Fraser kindly calibrated for me. Even before calibration my modded US XBox looked fan-bloody-tastic through the hi-def kit. Calibration has improved the picture further but I would say this is easily the best picture I've ever seen of game material regardless of display type. I've since changed to the limited edition transparent green UK XBox with Xecutor2 mod and the quality is still there. Seems to me something isn't quite right with your setup. If your plasma is set to component and your XBox is set to 480p/720p/1080i perhaps the problem lies with the XBox mod. I'm assuming you're connections to the plasma terminal board are the right way round. Process of eleimination seems the best way forward, if you've got a mate with a hi-def capable machine perhaps you could try that first to see if the fault is replicated. If you get no joy drop a PM to Gordon, he has experience of using the XBox hi-def kit and is familiar with your display, he may be able to provide a few pointers

7. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While I wouldnt want to rule out anything, that chances of the "mod" being at fault are slim. Modding an Xbox allows you to run unauthorised code. Thats about it.

Im using the MS DVD player and can see the problem in the MS Dashboard. Perhaps Im simply expecting too much. I can see minor see green dot crawl at about 1.5m away from the screen. It also looks slightly dirty. Game playback seems fine, but it really isnt the same type of source material so its not a good comparison. In particular emulated NeoGeo content looks fantastic, bright colors and well defined imagery.

TV via composite (awaiting VGA adapter) from the Sky Box is a little blurry and blocky, but doesnt look dirty at all and doesnt have any of this dot crawl.

The DVDs Ive checked so far are (all R2 so far) Star Wars I and II and Panic Room. SW is pretty good, very good from 3m away. Problem is there if you look for it. Panic Room looks absolutely brutal.

Matt

8. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

The process of opening up an XBox to install a mod doesn't preclude unintended interference with other internal components that may result in the problems you are encountering. I realise it's probably a slim chance but if you've ever seen how packed the inside of an XBox is you'll know what I mean. OK, so some material looks great but other things look a bit crappy. When the XBox logo loads on my machine the background colour isn't black but a dark grey colour, however the screen has been hacked with the Xecutor2 logo so this may have something to do with it. In-game black is very black so I'm not too bothered. The dashboard is spot on, very clean clear and sharp.

From what you are saying the problem appears selective or maybe it only affects certain colour depths and/or resolutions but I think you can probably discount your plasma screen. Again, it wouldn't do any harm to have a word with Gordon just in case. If you still have no joy post your query in the console forum, someone there may have had a similar experience with a modded XBox.

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Something isn't right as I don't get this type of issue on my panny 5 with either a pal xbox or an ntsc xbox.

Neil.