1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Wireless controllers

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by paiger, Oct 6, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just got my Xbox and Halo today. Wow. Bit of a jump from the old PSX. Got it hooked up to RGB and 5.1 DD with the AV pack as well and it's pretty awesome.

So, after a solid afternoon of fragging grunts I have taken a break. My only problem with the machine is the lead to the controller trailling right across the room. The dog has already nearly tested the breakaway.

Anybody know if there are wireless controllers available. Failing this, can I extend my lead with an ordinary USB extension lead? I have a 10 metre one that could run from the box, under the floor to the back of the room and come up behind the sofa. The controller could then be left there until needed.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Steve

2. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, is it USB or not? It's a USB socket and the plug fits but I'm scared to switch it on in case it blows up or summink.

Steve

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes and no

It uses USB standards for communication, but it's a non standard plug & socket. The plug & socket are physically much larger and the conductive shroud (Shielding) of the standard USB plug has been switched to a pin inside the X-Box controller. The pin order may also have been switched, but with a like for like extension this should not matter.

For the hassle of trying to modify cables with proprietary plugs & sockets, you'd be better off buying an extension lead and saving yourself the grief.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. How long is the extension you got? It doesn't say on the site. If it's too short, do you reckon I could use two? I need to run it under the floor so it's going to need to be in the region of 5-6 metres.

Steve

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're about 2m long, and you can use 2 connected together. I just tried it.

They actually fit between the cable breakaway sections not at the actual socket end, so the plugs are a bit smaller and neater.

My dogs don't bother with the cable now it sits on the floor, but used to be very interested when it was dangling a few inches off the ground, so you may not need to actually run it under the floor.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, cool. It's not that the dogs bother with it but if they are the other side and the doorbell rings..........

I also hate wires and clutter and like to have things all tucked away. Very sad like that. I think I'll get me a few of them.

S