XBox Wireless Adapter showing as connected via Bluetooth

iqoniq

Bit of info regarding set up: 1 XBox controller connected via wireless adapter as far as I know (dongle).
1 XBox controller connected via bluetooth (only used when I'm 2Upping on Tekken)
1 XBox Series X that I frequently use the PC to remote play.

As stated, the wireless adapter is showing up as being connected via Bluetooth and I'm wondering if this is correct. The controller using the wireless adapter can be really flaky and will randomly disconnect and refuse to repair with the adapter until I pop the battery out of the controller, whereas the one connected via Bluetooth works 99% of the time.

Could it be possible that the adapter has somehow managed to connect itself to the Bluetooth and is merely acting as a passthrough as opposed to connecting to the system "directly", and would this explain the symptoms described?

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
How are you seeing the wireless adapter is connected via bluetooth? I can't find any information that suggests it supports bluetooth and it doesn't show as being bluetooth capable on my system.

On my system the wireless adapter shows up under Network Adapters and it's been incredibly reliable, the controllers connect every time without issue. The only problem I did have initially was that the wireless adapter seemed to be losing the connection and I had to keep resetting it and the controller however thanks to some advice on this forum, I found it was power saving on the adapter causing the issue. When I went into the properties for the wireless adapter and disabled the OS from being able to switch the adapter off to save power it worked perfectly.

iqoniq

Ignore. I misread the settings. I clicked the bluetooth icon from the task tray and forgot it lists other devices as well. I should have realised when it was listing the external SSDs as well 🙄

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I had a couple of disconnects recently (controller to PC adapter) and it was due to the controller needing an update, to do it on PC download the Xbox Accessories app then connect the controller using a USB cable. might be worth a try ?

iqoniq

I had a couple of disconnects recently (controller to PC adapter) and it was due to the controller needing an update, to do it on PC download the Xbox Accessories app then connect the controller using a USB cable. might be worth a try ?
Already done it. When I got it I had to do an update before I could even get it to connect, and checked it a few days ago with no updates. I'm wondering if it's background "noise", because there's a load of wireless devices (I think there's something like 22 Bluetooth connections in the room - there's 7 PCs alone all with Bluetooth).

It just annoys me because it can be really intermittent. Yesterday I spent 4 hours on Forza 5 with no disconnects, but there are days I just give up because it's disconnecting within seconds of reconnecting. I also can't get it to reconnect without sliding the battery pack out, which is even more annoying. Funnily enough, it mainly seems to affect racing games. I can play most of the other games without a problem, but the moment it's Forza 5, NFS, or similar then it will usually disconnect.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
My controllers were super unreliable both through the wireless adapter and through Bluetooth, upgraded to Win11 and they’ve worked flawless over Bluetooth ever since.

iqoniq

My controllers were super unreliable both through the wireless adapter and through Bluetooth, upgraded to Win11 and they’ve worked flawless over Bluetooth ever since.
Will the ones with the dongle work with Bluetooth as well? I've been running Win 11 since the day one release, so if it works over Bluetooth, I'll ditch the dongle.

ETA
Yep it does. Thanks for the suggestion :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom