XBOX Widescreen woes

McBain

Standard Member
Reaction score
Heres the deal:

- I have a vanilla XBOX bought a couple of months ago

- I'm using a 3rd party (yeah I know - boo, hiss etc) component cable, switched through my Denon 3803

- I have a 32" Tosh Picture Frame CRT TV

- I've set my video settings in the XBOX config to be Widescreen

The problem is lots of games, in fact most, seem to be outputting in 4:3 - e.g.

Ultimate Spiderman
Halo
Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

I read about a problem with PAL xboxs causing the TV to autoswitch to a 4:3 mode, BUT still outputting in 16:9 - i.e. all you had to do was switch your tv mode back and it was all hunky dory. This is NOT the case with mine - it autoswitches to 4:3 sure, but the picture IS 4:3. If I switch the TV to widescreen I just seem to stretch the picture - everyone looks fat etc.

Anyone have any clues as to whats happening here? Is it just that lots of these games AREN'T widescreen, or is that I have a problem in my setup somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

SR

You can't MAKE gfames that don't support 16:9 display in 16:9. *rolls eyes*
What's the big deal anyway? It's only the shape of the screen and you can't say it's because you're a purist who wants to see the games in the original aspect they were in at the cinema... because.. well XD

Some games are better off in 4:3 anyway

most games are 480i/p or 565i/p they are 4:3 resolution, only games that are widescreen are 720p 1080i games

gearguy said:
You can't MAKE gfames that don't support 16:9 display in 16:9. *rolls eyes*
What's the big deal anyway? It's only the shape of the screen and you can't say it's because you're a purist who wants to see the games in the original aspect they were in at the cinema... because.. well XD

Some games are better off in 4:3 anyway

Lol - I thought I'd posed a question rather than expressing an, obviously stupid, opinion. Luckily I did get something from your well thought out response - that the games aren't actually in widescreen - which is all I wanted to know - thanks.

Yep not all xbox games are in widescreen, infact the only one I have is Halo 2.

Halo is only in 4:3, i don't know about the others im afraid, but most xbox games are in widescreen. The only game i own that isn't is Pro Evo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom