1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Widescreen Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Willy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a widescreen Toshiba telly, and my Xbox is set to Widescreen in the video settings, but when I play Pro Evo 4 I lose a chunk off either side of the screen, to the extent that I can't see the players' positions & part of their names in the team setup screen (so clearly it's quite a lot).

I've never noticed a problem with other games (and the PS2 version is fine), but now I'm wondering if I'm losing some of the view all the time but have just failed to notice before. My TV is on SuperLive view, but normal Widescreen view doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As far as I am aware, Pro Evo 4 is in 4:3 not 16:9, hence why you are seeing the image out of shape, even on super live. My Tosh is exactly the same, though I usually play it via my PJ in progressive 4:3 mode.

Pete.

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, you're right that PES4 is not widescreen, but that's not the problem. A stretched image would be fine, as long as I could see the whole viewing area, but what I have is the screen stretched to such a degree that I can't see an inch-thick strip down either side, so I'm literally missing a load of the viewing area.

To explain more fully: in the team set-up screen I can't actually see the players' positions for the side on the left, and the first two letters of each name are chopped off. The same on the right, too. Whacking it to 4:3 doesn't help.

It's really wierd.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    To be honest playing PES4 in stretched widescreen is pants anyway - I hate it and always play in 4:3 mode even on widescreen TV's. Not sure why it cuts bits off - it doesn't on my PJ if I put it in stretch 16:9 mode.

As I mentioned before though - just stick to 4:3 on this game as it's much better and you have nothing to gain (apart from comical squashed players and strange ball trajectory) by playing in 16:9. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ah sorry just read your post again - so it cut's bit's off even with your TV on 4:3! Very odd! Try setting the X-Box to 4:3 and playing in 4:3 on your TV.

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Willy - i have same problem. Have you modded your xbox to enable Prog-Scan? if so this is probably the reason why it does not fit(i have same problem) but if you use RGB scart and set your xbox back to PAL it should fit. But, if you have not modded your xbox in anyway then i dunno whats up with it.

6. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, great - thanks for the info mate.

Yep, I have it modded, and always have it running in Prog Scan mode. I love having it in PS mode, and would be unhappy about turning it off, so I'm wondering if just changing the video mode to PAL and deactivating the higher definitions will sort it out (I don't really want to jump between scart & component all the time). Now I know what the source of the problem is I'll do some tinkering and see if I can sort it.

Thanks very much for the info - this had been doing my head in!

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    My only soloution(if you can call it that) is to go into the screen adjust menu(in pro evo) and makes sure it is zoomed out all the way, then i adjusted the screen until the white bar on the left disapeared, not ideal but i can still see the tactics i select in games(when playing home they used to not be visible) and only the first letter of the players surname is missing in the formation setup menu, but its still easy to work out who they are, especially if you have got the update with the correct names.

Not sure if this only affects Toshiba Tv's but i know of 2 different models that this happens on, and its ONLY Pro Evo, nothing else.

8. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all that info. I already checked the in-game options, and it's zoomed out fully. What do you mean by adjusting the screen till the white bar disappears?

Edit - Ah, I get it. You moved the whole screen right so you don't lose anything off the left, but a bigger chunk off the right...right?

If I find a better solution then I'll post it here (though it seems unlikely). At least I know I'm not going mad now!

For reference, mine's a Tosh 32ZD26P.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I had one of those! Cracking Tv. The same thing with Pro Evo also happened on mine. I've got a 36ZD48P now and it still does it and on a mates 36ZD46P which is the same Tv really minus the :dd: sound.

Oh, and no problem re the info. Wouldn't be much of a forum with out it! :thumbsup:

10. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's my pride & joy; still love it after more than two years. :)

BTW, I don't know if you noticed, but I sent you a friends request. Will have to track you down on PES4 some time.

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - solution found. It's the video mode that screws it up, so if you've changed to NTSC video mode for prog scan, then it messes up the PES4 resolution.

If you have the Enigmah Videoswitch app then just run that and change the video mode to PAL, and it's fine.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    So, can you still run it in 480p but in pal mode rather than pal 60 ?????

Good news as my picture frame does exactly the same when I connect the box every now and again.

Pete.

13. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about the technicalities of this, but my understanding is that if you run it in PAL videomode you won't get 480p (I guess you get 480i). So you lose prog scan, but on the plus side, you do get to see the whole screen :)

I'm just going to go with the PAL mode for PES4, and put it on NTSC for everything else. It's a little bit awkward switching between them, but at least it's a solution.

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Actually I well test this later.

You can get PAL progressive so I will do a test!

Will let you know.

Pete. :)

15. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you do that then?! Please report back as to how this goes...

Edit - actually, I just remembered my TV is NTSC progressive, not PAL, so I guess this isn't an option for me.

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    ah, but it should be able to display PAL progressive if it is

a. a european tv

and

b. has component video in

Only because if it is an euro set, it can display 625 lines which is native pal line count compared to 525 which is native NTSC line count ~ so, it must be able to, as long as you connect via component video.

As for setting up, go into dash and output pal rather than pal60 in video mode, which is the psuedo NTSC format for PAL games.

Mad.

Pete :)

17. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure my TV is NTSC prog scan only. It was one of the first CRTs to do PS, so was NTSC only. Well, I think that's the case; it's a Tosh 32ZD26P. But then I could be talking rubbish - I'm well out of my depth here, to be honest. ;)

And yes, I am connecting via component.

I'll have a look at changing the video output and see what happens.

18. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    You two seem to be gettign in a bit of a muddle regarding prog-scan from an xbox. An xbox will only output progressive scan if the dashboard has been changed top NTSC, which will then give you the option to select 480p, 720p and 1080i, when in pal mode these are removed, so in short an xbox will not output PAL Progressive Scan, sorry Captain. And just to confirm Willy, your Tv will only display progressive scan of the NTSC flavour as when the Tv was launched the PAL system was not available.

Don't know if your interested(willy) but i have a Toshiba DVD520 multi-region player that i have for sale for £55.

19. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, but I already have one of those! ;)

20. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I was trying to say (on both counts), but being a technicle imbecile I wasn't doing it very well!

21. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Bugger :D