1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox - Which 5 Games?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by blzbob, Jan 4, 2003.

1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go for the HMV X-Box offer (£159 +JSRF and Sega GT + £20 off up to 5 Games at/above £39.99) and would like some views on the best games to get.

The £39.99 rules out Halo and some older games such as Dead or Alive 3 which I may buy elsewhere.

I am partly buying it for multiplay and don't like "real" driving games (I am interested in the Xbox equivalent of Mario Kart would be good for multiplay).

Here are my current 5, probably in order.
    1. Splinter Cell - As I hear it is great and I liked Metalgear Solid
    2. Fifa 2003 - To beat my mates at footy (is it as fun as Sensy Soccer?)
    3. Unreal Championship - Have it on PC, need a multiplayer FPS so I want this or a game similar to it
    4. Silent Hill 2/The Thing to scare the bejeezus out of me :eek:
    5. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind or Baldurs Gate - I like these on the PC, do they work on consoles? :confused:

Others I am interested in:
    Hitman 2
    Rocky
    Buffy
    Spiderman
    Serious Sam
    Bond: NightFire
    Mechassault
    Phantom Crash
    Simpsons Road Rage

I will tend to rent before buying in the future but need some views on any I have missed or any that I should swap in. My local store has sold out of the console so I have a week to decide.

Thanks in advance :D

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter Cell
    Unreal
    Mech Assault
    MotoGP
    Rocky

oh and the greatest thing known to man...Live :D

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Halo less than 39.99 in HMV now?

It really depends on what type of games you like

Hitman 2
    Timesplitters2
    Tiger Woods if you like the genre

I would only get unreal if you intend getting x-box live very soon as both Halo and TS2 are better games (IMO)

Fifa is excellent. If i am honest i think Pro Evo 2 on the PS2 is slightly better but there isn't an awful lot in it

4. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses so far.

Dom - MotoGP looks far too realistic for my tastes, I am more into arcade racers such as death rally, mario kart or that bike game where you punch people :devil: . Care to offer an alternative?

Bobbles, I think I heard about the HMV offer from you so thanks for that. I'll probably wait until official launch to get Live. Halo is doubtless £39.99 in HMV but as it was the "free" game for ages and has been around so long, I am expecting the price to drop fairly soon and if not I will get it second hand. TS2 and TW I would want to rent first as they aren't my typical "type" of game.

Take your point on unreal, but what I am looking for in this slot is a 2-4 player shooting/fighting game. Does Hitman have a 2 player mode? If not, I see Hitman 2 as competing for the Splinter Cell position. Would Bond:Nightfire be a better replacement?

5. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    This is what i bought with my box at HMV.
    Halo......awesome
    TS2 ......frustrating controls after Halo
    Mechassault.....damn fine
    Phantom Crash .....only been in the machine once so far,looks odd
    Mcrae 3.....not played yet.
    See if you can get Gotham Racing thrown into the deal for a £10,cheeky, but it paid off.
    Gary

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend ditching Splinter in favour of Hitman 2

Splinter is far better, both are 1 Player only thou

I doubt the price of Halo will drop until Halo 2 arrives at the end of the year. It is still considered the best game on the x-box and i agree.

I would definitely get Halo as part of the deal

not played Bond it is meant to be ok but it would probably be a rent it first game

Personally I think Halo and Splinter as absolutely essential in the deal the other 3 requires some thought

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yep get splinter cell this is one fine game.

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    get Splinter cell!!!!! Its one of the finest games on the box. having just finished Metal gear substance and SP the week before, i can confidently say that it is rhe best stealth game in the world. go on buy it!!!

Gary

9. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Splinter Cell also. :)

10. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts, it's probably helpful to update on my latest thoughts.

The horror games have dropped out because I have seen mixed reviews(love/hate) on both of them, so I will rent em both before/instead of purchasing.

My mate is lending me Halo as he is bored with it. I'll get Mechassault separately, as its now only £25 on amazon. Also my mate is checking out deathrow as an option (although it had a pants review the mags and his first impressions weren't good).

1. Splinter Cell - Definite
    2. Fifa 2003 - Definite
    3. Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind - Definite
    4. Bond:Nightfire - (Multiplayer and because I loved Goldeneye sneaks it above Hitman II) - Not Definite
    5. Struggling with:
    Rocky (looks a bit "serious" for me)
    Hitman II (I don't really want another FPS)
    Unreal Championship (FPS-ish again)
    Simpson Road Rage (this should not make my top 5)
    Buffy (to be honest neither should this)
    MOTO GP (It isn't road rash)
    Gauntlet:Dark Legacy (rubbish reviews and a sign of the desperation)

More help still needed with ideas for Game number 5, mostly ideas on games I haven't mentionned. I want a fun multiplayer game such as super bomber man/speedball 2/Mario kart for the X-BOX otherwise what is the point in 4 controller slots?

5 days to go.

11. neilb2

neilb2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter cell is tops !!!! Def get it.

I have only played the demo of deathrow but it seems like a good multi player game (kept my attention for about 30 mins).

Maybe other people who have brought the game may have some opinions???

12. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bought an xbox from PC world ( one with 5 games and extra controller) was supposed to be £228. But they didn't have 3 of the games in so I had to pick my own ;) (which is just what I wanted.) So I've picked Halo, Splitter Cell and Colin Mcrea Rally 3. To my suprise, it cost me less as well, paid about £198! CMR3 is faulty so I have to take that one back and change it, but so far I have only been playing Halo and I man, what a game!!
    Make sure Halo is included in your list. Don't forget to get extra controller as well, its double the fun when you team up with a mate and kick some ass!! :D

13. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yer halo is one kick ass game. it suck you in & keeps you comeing back for more.plus helps you to show off you new peice of kit & make your friends green with envey.

14. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitman 2 is a third person shooter.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blzbob,

If you don't like realistic games I wouldn't go for Moto GP, Colin McRae3, Project Gotham.

Rocky and Unreal are both great fun when friends are round but get a bit boring playing on your own. If you're getting Halo off your mate I would get Rocky 'cos it's a bit different to all the other games you've selected and is fun to play. Although I would go for unreal if you're thinking about going onto LIVE :p

Another suggestion. I played ATV4 on the Official Mag demo disc the other day and I thought that was quite fun. Racing quad bikes around sand dunes etc. You can kick the other riders off ...I'm sure that will be a great multiplayer game. Not sure when it's out.

I would swap the James Bond game for Halo. Halo is the ultimate FPS and multi player game. Haven't played the bond game but it got pants reviews.

Jus.

16. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really recomend Tiger Woods 2003. It is the most addictive game I've played on the Xbox and is a blast multiplayer.
    Also give Moto GP a go, whilst it is initialy tricky to get to grips with it has a nice learning curve and is the most sattisfying of racers. Nothing beats nailing a serious of corners perfectly in that game.

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played the previous Bond game on XBox (agent under fire?), and I thought it was absolute trash. The new one could be better, but I'd definitely check out some reviews before picking it up.