1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox - What is best RGB or High Definition

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mickey123, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand spanking new here so firstly a big helllllooooo to you all :hiya:

I wonder if you can help me, any advice appreciated. :thumbsup:

I live in the UK and I have and pal Xbox. I also have an RGB scart input on my pal Widescreen TV.
    In the new year I hope to get a Plasma capable of both High Definition + RGB.
    I am aware that high def is not available in the UK but am willing to modify my Xbox to get round this (not to play pirate games I may add.)

1 - If I stood you in between 2 TVs/Plasmas each connected to Xboxes, one with an RGB cable and the other with High Definition and never told you which was which, would you really be able to tell the diff between the two? Would I for that matter???

2 - If I decide to buy the High Def pack and use it on my pal TV for a few months until my plasma arrives will the picture be better than the standard cable that the pal Xbox comes with when sold or just the same or worse even?

Basically I am wondering what to buy, either the RGB (advanced AV) or the High definition pack (HD) and I don't want the picture to be any worse whilst I am still using my TV.

Hope you all still awake if you read this far :boring: :suicide:

Many thanks,

Mickey

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Not sure about the PQ comparison, but I think you'll find that the HD pack won't work on your current TV, unless you have component inputs, which of course you may?
    I had my Xbox connected through S-Video on my JVC HV-36P38 for a couple of days, then got an Ixos component cable for High-Def, and the difference is very noticable, even just in 480p. :smashin:

3. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive got the HD pack and a normal virgin xbox and i cant tell you if its better than RGB but its a DAMN sight better than the crap they gave me :rolleyes:

i think your gonna need a friend who has RGB scart xbox and take your cables round and see if theres most improvement, i only bought the HD cables as i wanted the best picture quality i can get whether its much better than RGB im not sure

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    What TV do you have? Does it support Progressive Scan? If it does not then personally i don't think you will really see that much of a difference between using the RGB scart(assuming its the official Micro$oft one) and the Official High-Def pack.

But, if your TV does support Progressive Scan and you either 'chip' your xbox or 'soft-mod'(do a search for more info) then yes you will certainly notice a difference between RGB and High-Def, this is particurally noticeable in games like Halo2 and Ghost Recon 2 where evrything looks so much better its untrue.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

5. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help so far. :thumbsup:

This is what I’ve decided to do. Buy the High Def Pack and use the cable on my TV until I get my Plasma. Hopefully it will be better that the one you get with the Xbox as standard. Can only be the same with 5.1 audio surely at worsted.

I can't understand why Microsoft would give people a reason the get there Xbox "chipped" (IE so you can select region's etc as PAL doesn't support High Def yet the same Xbox will if modified) :eek:

Many thanks again, :rotfl: :smashin:

Keep the answers and your opinions coming. I’m sure many will be stuck like I was this Christmas wondering what cable to buy.

Mickey

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I would say HD. I use my X-box on a projector and to my eyes RGB is slightly 'soft' compared to the RGB output of other consoles, such as the PS2. Slightly noisy too.

Cap :)

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    HD is much better than RGB, unfortunatelly I do not currently have the luxury of a HD TV :( . I use an Advanced RGB cable with digital out (made by joytech I think) and it's just as good as the official lead & costs less than 1/2 the price. At a tenner you can't go wrong really and it's just a matter of getting a High Def pack when your Plasma arrives! :thumbsup:

I have noticed that the RGB output is not as good as the PS2's output (when using this or an official lead) though. As mentioned above it's not quite as sharp or as vibrant.

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I did a direct comparison. We had a Sanyo-Z2 projector...One input we had RGB...the other had Hidef (chipped xbox so outputting 480p...on a PAL copy of Halo2). I didn't expect to see much difference...Hidef is hugely better...the RGB was darker and blurry..the Hidef was lighter and sharper.

I stare at a screen all day every day. I found I got a headache playing games in the evening/weekend. I played Halo2 linkup for about 6 solid hours on hidef and I was fine during and after.

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Oh yea, forgot to say...we were using two xbox's with two copies of Halo2...so we were quickly flicking from one input to another to compare and not switching cables etc. The difference was very easy to see.

10. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes.
    2. Well it won't be worse, that's for sure.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    The Xbox has the worst RGB output of any console I have seen, even with things like the N64 which had to be modded for RGB give a better result.
    I prefer S-video to RGB, but component beats them all, especially if you can use the 480p, 720p and 1080i at some point.

12. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I have just got the HD pack, and can confirm that I find the PQ a bit better than with the Advanced Scart Lead.

I am about to Soft Mod my Xbox to make it output progressive.

The only thing that I can't understand is that the image doesn't quite fill my screen (Panny PWD6). There are blakc lines around the edge of the image. Surely this will mean that it will not match pixel for pixel in 480p?